Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By groovemonger Fri May 26, 2023 9:51 pm
I need a new drive for my venerable 2500, which I'm bringing going out of retirement and maxing out.

I've seen IDE caddy adapters for M.2 SSD drives and there are ready-made IDE/PITA SSD drives out there.

Do these work like any HDD on the 2500? Currently running JJOS free.
By richie Sun May 28, 2023 10:47 pm
Don't complicate your life, just get an IDE to CF/SDHC adapter. You won't get a performance gain by spending more to use a m2 SSD on the 2500, the bus won't take advantage of it.
By NearTao Mon May 29, 2023 10:56 am
richie wrote:Don't complicate your life, just get an IDE to CF/SDHC adapter. You won't get a performance gain by spending more to use a m2 SSD on the 2500, the bus won't take advantage of it.

+1 CF/SD solutions are already fast enough to max out the IDE bus.
By groovemonger Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:42 pm
Thanks, folks. I liked the idea of a solid-state option for quiet operation. Some say using CF/SD cards like hard drives isn't a great idea due to failures but then I supposed a HD-less 2500 is using the CF card anyhow.
By Lampdog Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:08 am
I’ve always used Lexar cf’s in the 2kxl for decades and never had any problem at all. Back and for from computer to mpc with the same cf’s. Never had a cf die on me.
By richie Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:06 am
groovemonger wrote:Thanks, folks. I liked the idea of a solid-state option for quiet operation. Some say using CF/SD cards like hard drives isn't a great idea due to failures but then I supposed a HD-less 2500 is using the CF card anyhow.

You're not necessarily wrong in what you have heard but, those situations pertain to constant read writes - such example, say you had an old pc that was PATA/IDE and you used a CF to IDE adapter, depending on the quality and type of CF card (some have an IDE bit set but I won't expand on that to further confuse things for those reading) the amount of read/writes could end up quickly degrading the CF card.

In regards to the MPC, it doesn't stream audio, it only saves and loads into memory. So the amount of read/writes that you'd be having are so minimal, that it is completely safe to go the route I've suggested. I do this on both my units without hassle.

Good luck man