Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By JUKE 179r Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:30 am
USB3 anyone??? :lol:
By mr_debauch Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:04 am
JUKE 179r wrote:USB3 anyone??? :lol:

numark might start using that on their gear at around 2025 or so....
By JUKE 179r Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:52 am
mr_debauch wrote:

Yeah... right after they merge with Atari.
By jimmie Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:22 am
JUKE 179r wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:

After they release the show-stopping awesome power of the 2500 with green paint and red 'go-faster' stripes down the side.
By Triplecrossed Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:36 am
jimmie wrote:
JUKE 179r wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:

After they release the show-stopping awesome power of the 2500 with green paint and red 'go-faster' stripes down the side.

After JJ becomes the main OS developer to Nukai.
By trybtek Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Has anyone thought of modding the HD or CF connections to USB?
Just a suggestion!
Peace!
By m41k Tue May 17, 2011 1:57 am
trybtek wrote:Has anyone thought of modding the HD or CF connections to USB?
Just a suggestion!
Peace!

The HD, CD, & CF connections ARE connected to the internal USB controller, and therefore it isn't possible to get USB2.0 speed. Well, it is possible, but to get this acomplished you need to swap the USB chip, which is soldered onto the mainboard and modify the JJOS code to implement the driver specific code for the new USB chip. I don't know how to manage this, i can only tell you how to use a SATA-HD internaly, or even how to use 2 x 320GB HDs, since the HD & CD drives are connected to the (same) USB channel. But backing up 640GB of data over USB1.1 would be... insane! :shock: Life would be easier if Akai would've made the IDE->USB as a separate & swapable PCB, but...

cheers!
maik
By mr_debauch Tue May 17, 2011 3:09 am
m41k wrote:
trybtek wrote:Has anyone thought of modding the HD or CF connections to USB?
Just a suggestion!
Peace!

The HD, CD, & CF connections ARE connected to the internal USB controller, and therefore it isn't possible to get USB2.0 speed. Well, it is possible, but to get this acomplished you need to swap the USB chip, which is soldered onto the mainboard and modify the JJOS code to implement the driver specific code for the new USB chip. I don't know how to manage this, i can only tell you how to use a SATA-HD internaly, or even how to use 2 x 320GB HDs, since the HD & CD drives are connected to the (same) USB channel. But backing up 640GB of data over USB1.1 would be... insane! :shock: Life would be easier if Akai would've made the IDE->USB as a separate & swapable PCB, but...

cheers!
maik

yeah f^^k that, might as well remove the drives and clone them on another machine.
By cyrus Sun May 29, 2011 3:52 pm
whatever you do, make sure you realize that the mpc can only handle 130 gb HD. you can plop in a bigger one, but will only read 130 gbs. this one pisses me off too! if this is fixable, let me know!

cause i got a 500 gb drive sitting here with shit ton of samples, i gotta transfer it shit everytime i want to use a sample.
By m41k Sun May 29, 2011 5:01 pm
cyrus wrote:whatever you do, make sure you realize that the mpc can only handle 130 gb HD. you can plop in a bigger one, but will only read 130 gbs. this one pisses me off too! if this is fixable, let me know!

cause i got a 500 gb drive sitting here with **** ton of samples, i gotta transfer it **** everytime i want to use a sample.

WTF? Are you sure? :shock:
I haven't tested a biger HD than 80GB but i'm absolutely sure USB controllers can handle more than 500GB and the internal HD is conected over USB as far as i could see. But maybe it's the damn firmware which doesn't allow more than 130GB. At the moment my MPC2500 got a 80GB HD installed cuz i don't need more (at the moment), but i also installed this 80GB HD into the CD-ROM Bay with the help of an Multibay caddy just to test if it works... and yes it works perfectly! I guess i'll need to completely test it again with an 160GB HD. I'll post the results in a few hours/days.

Here's a link about such an Multibay caddy: http://www.mindprint.net/multibay
The same one (and also as SATA version) works with the MPC... i tested it already.

cheers!
m41k
By m41k Sun May 29, 2011 5:43 pm
ontherun wrote:The internal HD and CF Card IDE for my knowledge, wouldnt make sense to use USB for that,
also just swapping the USB Controller chip wouldnt also work.
I never had that big Data transfer that usb1.1 would bother me

Sure it makes sence, because you can directly mount the internal MPC HD into your PC/Mac, per USB connection. And for that to work, you must use an IDE->USB controller and this USB controller is exactly... 1.1 speed, which is very slow for backing up more than 10GB. So why should Akai use one IDE controller AND one IDE->USB controller if they can realize it by using just ONE IDE->USB controller, even for the internal Read/Writes. Btw, the CD-Rom and HD drive use the same cable, so they must've use Master/Slave jumpering, but they didn't, because you can't and don't need to access both drives at the same time.

cheers!
m41k
By MPCdawk Sun May 29, 2011 10:57 pm
m41k wrote:...Btw, the CD-Rom and HD drive use the same cable, so they must've use Master/Slave jumpering, but they didn't, because you can't and don't need to access both drives at the same time.

I think maybe the 2500 sets the master and slave using cable select (pin 28 on the IDE interface).
By cyrus Tue May 31, 2011 2:49 am
m41k wrote:
cyrus wrote:whatever you do, make sure you realize that the mpc can only handle 130 gb HD. you can plop in a bigger one, but will only read 130 gbs. this one pisses me off too! if this is fixable, let me know!

cause i got a 500 gb drive sitting here with **** ton of samples, i gotta transfer it **** everytime i want to use a sample.

WTF? Are you sure? :shock:
I haven't tested a biger HD than 80GB but i'm absolutely sure USB controllers can handle more than 500GB and the internal HD is conected over USB as far as i could see. But maybe it's the damn firmware which doesn't allow more than 130GB. At the moment my MPC2500 got a 80GB HD installed cuz i don't need more (at the moment), but i also installed this 80GB HD into the CD-ROM Bay with the help of an Multibay caddy just to test if it works... and yes it works perfectly! I guess i'll need to completely test it again with an 160GB HD. I'll post the results in a few hours/days.

Here's a link about such an Multibay caddy: http://www.mindprint.net/multibay
The same one (and also as SATA version) works with the MPC... i tested it already.

cheers!
m41k

seriously, but if you can test it and come up with a solutinot hat would be great. i read it in some other thread, i think it is a firmware thing. i found out the hardway by putting in a bigger drive. i loaded it up plugged into my pc first, then put it in the mpc and would get random dropouts. jjos would sometimes recognize folders and sometimes not. i though some files got corrupt when i copied my stuff over so i ended up recopying (**** pain in the arse). then same shit happened. researched a bit and found a thread that stated that. sure enough, i only loaded 125 gb worth on the drive, and it worked perfect. soon as you hit htat 130 mark, shit goes flakey.
By konc3pt Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:20 pm
how much are you guys willing to pay for usb 2.0 kit ? :lol: