Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Triple-X Sat May 22, 2010 1:54 am
i wasnt using my digital ins and outs when I had the issue.

After a lot of trial and error, the only way i got any satisfaction was to replace all the main guts inside the mpc.

Haven't had a problem since. so chances are its got something to do with the main board and A>D>A conversion.
just a guess.
for more details on what I did to my mpc during the problem read the entire thread. My memory is foggy now and god knows how many times I tried and how many part combinations I tried, etc etc.
By DJ Illustrious Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:51 pm
DJ Illustrious wrote:I now have this same EXACT problem with my right output, down to a t. It does it after my machine has been on a while, and when I pan the sample hard left the crackle still remains coming out of the right output. I also hear it on my right ear through headphones. Was this a problem with the so-called "bad batch" of 2500's? I'm so pissed right now.

Listen to this: I just bought a second MPC2500 instead of trying to replace all the guts in my first unit, and the second one has the EXACT same problem. Akai's build quality is pure shit. I'm done with them after this, guess I need to take a closer look at Maschine.
By Grafit. Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:35 pm
Hi all :D That's my first post on that forum as I've just bought my brand new MPC2500SE and as you may guess this thread touches me also.

Shit... F%$#... $%$#@&*& and many other :/ research.. and here I am so once again WELCOME MPC Users

let's get down to bussiness..

Found it after about 1h from start my first play time.. got pissed, oh yeah.

Than lef it alone switched off and tried again.. and heard it again after maybe a little later.. let's say 2h

Left it again after couple of hours play, and after some time started it again waiting for crackling again..

It's about 3-4h of play now and can't hear a shit :D is it a mirracle :D well I hope!

Good luck guys and I'll update you on my thread ;)

Peace!
By Doktor Bro Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:48 pm
Hello world! My English is bad, so please don't go crazy by reading my story with a brand new 2500 SE.

I just have for the first time noticed the same crackling noise on the right channel. You know the long way of testing everything, so I don't want to repeat the guys before. I report only one thing: you can hear the noise even if the only sound source is the analog input through.

BTW, this is one of situations you realize, how big is your trust in your old expensive gear. After 30 minutes it was clear to me: my newest toy must be broken.

Google points me straight to that thread. Reading the same story is a horror. I turn the MPC off, turn it on and the noise is away for maybe 40 minutes now. I hope it appears only after hours and a simple restart is enough. You will hear from me, if the white box makes me crazy again.
By pixie42 Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:15 am
Hi all,
My 2500 now has the same crackling issue on the right output. (headphones and mains).
I understand I'm not alone in this situation.
So what is the latest development on fixing this issue ? I have JJOS installed so I'm reluctant to order a new PCB board, and from the above statements, surprisingly it's not a solution. For now I think I'm going to open the 2500, check cables, ribbon oxydation and spray large amount of deoxit.
Does anyone know a better solution ?
Has anyone found out what is causing this problem ?
By BoyOfVirtue Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:42 pm
pixie42 wrote:Hi all,
My 2500 now has the same crackling issue on the right output. (headphones and mains).
I understand I'm not alone in this situation.
So what is the latest development on fixing this issue ? I have JJOS installed so I'm reluctant to order a new PCB board, and from the above statements, surprisingly it's not a solution. For now I think I'm going to open the 2500, check cables, ribbon oxydation and spray large amount of deoxit.
Does anyone know a better solution ?
Has anyone found out what is causing this problem ?

I have the same problem, also in the right channel of the headphone and stereo output. It has never appeared through the 8 outs.

Thankfully it is only intermittent, but its still very frustrating.

Since the 2500 isn't very expensive nor very popular I don't think anyone has really taken the time to find out the cause and solution for this issue. Doesn't seem like theres much that can be done--or at least anything that would be less expensive than buying a different 2500
By pixie42 Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:06 am
it seems that nobody can really pinpoint a direction to solve this problem. I have exchanged a few emails with MPC-stuff, since they are the only one who sells all the internal parts. They are simply suggesting to replace the volume pot to start with. Cheap and easy fix. I have received a brand new one, and still have to solder it on the board. I doubt it helps much with the crackling, but it's definitely worth trying. I will let you know if replacing this pot improves things.
By BoyOfVirtue Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:24 pm
pixie42 wrote:it seems that nobody can really pinpoint a direction to solve this problem. I have exchanged a few emails with MPC-stuff, since they are the only one who sells all the internal parts. They are simply suggesting to replace the volume pot to start with. Cheap and easy fix. I have received a brand new one, and still have to solder it on the board. I doubt it helps much with the crackling, but it's definitely worth trying. I will let you know if replacing this pot improves things.

Wow if that's all it took I would be blown away, and immensely grateful for your help.

Keep us updated please.
By pixie42 Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:02 am
Hi,
I have received a new pot, but I must confess I haven't bothered yet to install it.
I will keep everyone posted if it helps. I swear !

I also have a new direction to investigate. I have been discussing this issue on a french forum. An owner of a MPC5000 who had the same kind of crackling resolved it by installing a filtered and stabilized power supply.

I don't think anyone here has been thinking about this solution. It's consistent with a more or less random cracklings that plague many units in which you can't pinpoint the defective component by swapping parts.

There might still be a weak component in the 2500 but if you can resolve this issue with a simple filtered power supply, it's worth a try.
By BoyOfVirtue Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:13 am
pixie42 wrote:Hi,
I have received a new pot, but I must confess I haven't bothered yet to install it.
I will keep everyone posted if it helps. I swear !

I also have a new direction to investigate. I have been discussing this issue on a french forum. An owner of a MPC5000 who had the same kind of crackling resolved it by installing a filtered and stabilized power supply.

I don't think anyone here has been thinking about this solution. It's consistent with a more or less random cracklings that plague many units in which you can't pinpoint the defective component by swapping parts.

There might still be a weak component in the 2500 but if you can resolve this issue with a simple filtered power supply, it's worth a try.

I have heard this theory before from an MPC technician with whom I had discussed the issue, but I just never gave it much additional thought. Could anyone help me understand how a defective power supply could cause this kind of crackling in only one channel?
By TheUnfuckwithable Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:03 am
FWIW, I was able to (temporarily) get rid of the crackling by entering record mode and changing the input from analog to digital and back to analog again. Leave record mode and voilà, the crackling is gone. At least until I switch the unit off and back on again.

But beware...In rare cases the crackling becomes even more audible. But 9 out of 10 times it works!

Only god (and that bastard Jack) know(s) what cheap and faulty component(s) cause such behavior...
By pixie42 Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:23 pm
Bad insulation on the main outputs perhaps ?
I have bought some kind of cheap Belkin power adapter and sprayed vast amount of deoxyt directly into the output sockets. No more cracklings for now. Definitely an improvement. Time will tell.
By BoyOfVirtue Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:10 pm
**** wrote:FWIW, I was able to (temporarily) get rid of the crackling by entering record mode and changing the input from analog to digital and back to analog again. Leave record mode and voilà, the crackling is gone. At least until I switch the unit off and back on again.

But beware...In rare cases the crackling becomes even more audible. But 9 out of 10 times it works!

Only god (and that bastard Jack) know(s) what cheap and faulty component(s) cause such behavior...

Yeah I've had a similar experience....switching from analog to digital in record mode can trigger the crackling, as well as using the effects sometimes. It's all been intermittent and unpredictable for me, making it difficult to diagnose the issue properly

I always figured the problem lay within the DA/AD converter, since the problem appears only on one channel, but I am no electrical engineer.

Pixie, please keep us updated as to whether the different power supply has solved the crackling problem.