Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By oldboy118 Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:23 pm
Hey, here's the thing, i got MPC 2500 hooked up to saffire pro 24 via 2 mono TRS cables from main stereo out (pretty obvious).

I guess there's something wrong with the rotary encoder (main volume) since when turned to maximum only one channel works, but otherwise everything's just ok.

The sound coming out of the main st. out seems a bit lower (quieter) than the sound from the 1-8 outs. That I guess is alright.

I monitored the st. out levels playing mono samples and noticed that one channel (sorry don't really remember which one right now) is about 0.3dB lower than the other.

So there's definitely something wrong, I tried the 1-8 outputs and those had equal levels, so that's probably fine as it is. Also i tried using the SPDIF digital out (hooked it up to the saffire pro 24) and also the channels were playing at equal levels.

My question here is whether there's a problem with the rotary encoder, or something different and maybe more serious and what could it be.

I'm thinking having the encoder replaced, but me myself can't do it and i'm a bit afraid to put it in stranger's hands.

Everything just works, no problems... only the stereo out is driving me crazy... I know the 0.3dB difference between channels may not be catastrophic, but it shouldn't be like that and that's pissing me off.

And I gotta say I am very disappointed about Akai, because almost everyone has some trouble with theirs MPCs.

Maybe you guys could help me out, maybe point me in the right direction.

Any answer is much appreciated!
By misterfade Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:21 am
I have the exact same problem. So what I did the other day was I opened it up and sprayed air all over the encoder then some Deoxit. Guess what? The levels were fine now! The right side was back to normal.

Now a few days later it's back, same issue. What I noticed was that even though the knob is smoother now because of the Deoxit, if I pressed down on the volume knob it seemed to knock it into place.

This tells me that the encoder needs to be re-soldered. I could be wrong, but I'm assuming that's what it is.

Does anyone know what the part number is for both the record and volume knobs, something on Mouser?
By Dhran Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:53 pm
dryad-66 wrote:I have the same problem with a few degrees lower on one channel on my 5000.

Left one i guess, am i right?
By Dhran Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:28 pm
Reinstall the OS and see what happens...
I know, it sounds crazy but it could possibly be software related on way or another, no harm intended to JJOS because it's the same with AKAI OS. It's worth a try before going crazy spending hours taking the unit to pieces...
By misterfade Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:28 pm
Dhran wrote:Reinstall the OS and see what happens...
I know, it sounds crazy but it could possibly be software related on way or another, no harm intended to JJOS because it's the same with AKAI OS. It's worth a try before going crazy spending hours taking the unit to pieces...

I thought about that but since there's an actual physical issue when I push the knob down, I figured it could be that. I always wondered if JJOS had some sort of output issue though.