Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By phx_chronic Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:43 pm
Coz wrote:Hopefully they upgraded the stock tact switches.

Not sure about that but apparently they have upgraded the buttons to be a lot more durable.

I just ordered one so I'll let y'all know how the jog wheel feels. I got it cause I've got a ton of buttons I gotta hit like three times and mash them to work and with the tact switches at like 10 bucks a pop $99 seems like a good deal with the new jog wheel as a bonus.

Honestly the old one never bothered me much...
By Phonetic Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:58 pm
_wheeljack_ wrote:

+1, the stock ones are garbage

will post up feedback when i've got it installed

The new tact switches felt lovely. Loads more solid than the original stock ones.
I had one faulty though :(
By _wheeljack_ Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:49 pm
Phonetic wrote:
The new tact switches felt lovely. Loads more solid than the original stock ones.

lame dude. did you send it back for replacement? if so hopefully the next one is 100%
By Phonetic Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:25 pm
_wheeljack_ wrote:
Phonetic wrote:

lame dude. did you send it back for replacement? if so hopefully the next one is 100%

Yeah man, its gone back to the shop already.
By Phonetic Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:26 pm
phx_chronic wrote:

Not sure about that but apparently they have upgraded the buttons to be a lot more durable.

I just ordered one so I'll let y'all know how the jog wheel feels. I got it cause I've got a ton of buttons I gotta hit like three times and mash them to work and with the tact switches at like 10 bucks a pop $99 seems like a good deal with the new jog wheel as a bonus.

10 bucks for a tact switch? Sheeeeeeez, where do you shop at man? They're about 10 for a £ here in the UK.
By phx_chronic Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:45 pm
Phonetic wrote:
phx_chronic wrote:

10 bucks for a tact switch? Sheeeeeeez, where do you shop at man? They're about 10 for a £ here in the UK.

I was just talking about the ones on MPC Stuff. $8 for the small ones and $10 for the big ones!! Crazy.
By Star One Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:42 pm
A lot of people aren't comfortable buying things that don't specifically say "FOR MPC XXXX" so instead of buying 10 at Mouser.com for .6p a peice, they can feel safe in knowing they are getting the right thing. Even if to us, we know there is nothing special to them, to most don't know that.

And that price goes into everything they do at MPC-STUFF. So it funds all the development of stuff that a lot of people are beggin' to have. 2000XL LCD's, these right-side PCB's, ect.

Plus they don't stock millions at a time, so they don't get the mega bulk discount from whoever they get them from, so can't afford to sell them at the super low prices. :nod:
By phx_chronic Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:07 am
tapedeck wrote:this is really cool.
anybody know what the particulars are and why this only works with jjos?

Not sure but in the installation video from MPCStuff he mentions that with the other O.S.'s the jog wheel will only go forward. Also the JJOS os they're saying you have to use is very recent. Like February 2015. So, I guess there was just a little thing to tweak in the os to make this type of rotary encoder work with the software.
Last edited by phx_chronic on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
By phx_chronic Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:22 am
Just got mine today and got it installed. And actually, first off, shout out to MPCStuff for putting in the effort on stuff like this and also for getting my order that I placed on tuesday night to me today for like 7 bucks shipping. (I got this, a new left side board cause both q links were broken and the all black buttons set cause i had a ton of broken buttons.) Good shit.

So anyway, sorry for dude who had to send his back upthread but mine is fine.

The new jog wheel is great. Like I said I was never really mad at the old one so I probably wouldn't have copped this just for that. That said I'm glad I did. This shit is smoooth. If people aren't familiar with this jog wheel, with how they call it the 'smooth wheel' and everything, there is still, like, clicks in it so it's pretty easy to feel it out. That might seem obvious, but I just say that because Phonetic was talmbout it being kinda crazy and I just wanna say this jog wheel feels pretty precise to me! The first thing I did just to test this was to load up up a sample and zoom in far enough so that each click of the wheel equaled one sample in Trim Mode. It was super easy to navigate to the exact number I wanted. Phonetic, maybe you just got a bad board since you also had problems with some switches, too? Post what you think when you get your replacement.

As far as the tact switches, I'm not sure. They do kinda feel more solid but we'll have to wait awhile to really know I guess.

Bottom line: A+

Oh yeah btw I got the 3000 style wheel.
By loose_t Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:21 am
I also just installed mine, and it's working perfectly. Quiet and accurate. I got the 3000 style.

I think once the insert for the old 2500 wheel becomes available i will buy it, as it leaves a tiny bit less gap between the casing.

Having said that, I'm super happy to have a working, quiet jog wheel on the 2500, something I wasn't sure would ever happen... We live in exciting times!!!
By le rat Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:08 pm
I think it works with JJ OS because a recent update allows for another type of "data wheel". See screen below.
I got my mpc2500 back and I'm interesting in buying this new right PCB.
What about the difference between the V2 and the 3000 wheel?
Anyone kind enough to take a quick close-up video of the wheel in motion? :)
By _wheeljack_ Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:08 pm
happy to report back - received my board last week (shipped super fast). installed on saturday.

wheel is super smooth. as mentioned, does sit a touch high from the panel, but it's really nothing to seriously complain about.

all tacts are fully working on mine, and feel super stable compared to the stock ones.

the record/play sequence of buttons feel quite a bit different from the stock, a bit softer to me.

nothing but positive things to say about it. mpcstuff killed it. go get one for yourself.