Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Mastakilla Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:07 pm
So after letting my 2500 sit for months, I decided to get a nice stand for it and incorporate it back into my studio setup. This thing is glitchy as hell now. I'm running JJOS 3.11. Last time I was using it, I didn't have any problems whatsoever. First issue was that I couldn't open the mixer window. Hit [mode] and the [mixer] button, PAD 8, and it was opening up the Program Menu. The next weird thing was, it wouldn't allow me to scroll with the cursor knob over the program selector on the main screen when I had multiple programs opened. But if i open the program window, I could then scroll and select what program I wanted. None of the pads are dead, but when I load a 16 pad kit, pad's 5 through 10 misfire, or just don't respond. In other windows, the pads do respond however. Another thing is, I have all my beats saved to the internal HD, and seems like most of the saved programs are corrupt. Programs that should have contiguous slices assigned 1-16 seem to consistently have pads 5-10 incorrectly assigned with random or out of order sounds.

Now I used to rip apart 2000XL's back in the day like crazy, I fixed a ton of them, solder jobs, everything. But I've never seen a MPC just wigging out like this. The JJOS and the internal hard drive are kind of new to me, and I haven't had to trouble shoot them before. Does this sound like it's just an operating system issue or could it be worse, like the motherboard is going?

I need to mention, in Feb of 2015, I had a pipe break and water was leaking through the ceiling in the room I had my MPC in, but it was bone dry when I rescued it. And I was making beats with it just fine shortly after, April through june. I'm about ready to crack her open and take a look at the bored, Just wanted to know if this is a common JJOS thing and I shouldn't freakout, or if I should be genuinely concerned. Thanks in advance for any help.
By Mastakilla Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:40 pm
update: I did pull the panel off and the thing is spotless inside. actually surprised to not see any dust build up. I gave all the connections a once over, pressed them to make sure everything is tight.

Still having the same glitchy issues. pad 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12 are glitchy and don't respond very well. bottom and top rows work. and pad 11 works fine. I don't know if the 2500 pads go out in rows or individually. There's just so much weird stuff going on, I don't think it's the pads or a hardware thing. Maybe the OS and hard drive? Maybe just the OS. Should I just re-instal the OS?
By JUKE 179r Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:42 pm
Did you reload the JJOS again onto the 2500?
By JUKE 179r Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:42 pm
Damn... can't change my post...

Just reload the JJOS again.
By Mastakilla Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:25 am
JJOS 3.13 installed. still having issues. pads not working. and 16 level button doesn't work. Can't scroll through programs on main window. have to open the window over the current program, then cursor works to select programs. Is that normal? I thought I always could scroll thru them on the main screen. starting to think this is just a pad issue. but now 16 levels button doesn't work. Is there anyway to access a screen where you can test all the buttons? i know 2kXL had one. shows what pad velocities are reading at and everything. i'm on the fence now about repairing the pads, starting to wonder if there's a much deeper problem.
By Mastakilla Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:48 pm
every time i hit mode/ record, or mode/ mixer. it just opens up the program menu. does this sound like dead pads? like the row is misfiring?
By tomek666 Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:31 am
did you get this resolved? Sounds like a pad or depressed button issue to me.
By Bugfix Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:03 am
For corrupted data:
Back up your disks (CF,HD) and format them in MPC, in save/load screen (not within computer).

Don't transfer any files back, yet.

Now, holding EREASE key power up MPC > this is crucial when any update/upgrade on OS is made.

Still got problems with pads after reseting OS? They are shortcutting on cables somewhere. It sounds like it anyway.
By DJ Black Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:17 am
Have you figured this out? I'm having the same problem. I reinstalled JJOS but still, no pads triggering.
By Menco Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:13 am
Try cleaning the pad sensor sheet with a damped cloth. If that doesn’t work it might be PCB board related.
By DJ Black Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:02 pm
Menco wrote:Try cleaning the pad sensor sheet with a damped cloth. If that doesn’t work it might be PCB board related.

I tried that and it didn't work. I went ahead and bought a new mainboard and that seemed to have solved it. All pads respond but now I'm not getting any sound when I go to programs and load samples/instruments. IE: kicks and snares. I hear the metronome but no sound from the pads. I'm running the free JJOS 3.13. I created a new thread for this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=201697&p=1806047#p1806047