Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By PillsInfinity Mon May 09, 2016 12:36 am
Hi guys, i bought a roland um-one the other day to use my mpc 2500 as a midi controller in ableton live and i followed the instructions on the akai site and note repeat and i cant get it to work all im getting is the clock syncing between the mpc and ableton. Does anyone know a way i can do this or can tell me what im doing wrong? help would be extremely appreciated, thank you.
By Lampdog Sun May 15, 2016 5:21 am
Quit with the distraught perception dude. I'm sure someone will come along with an answer or direction to pursue. Impatience is killin you right now. Put it in check my man.
By MPC-Tutor Sun May 15, 2016 8:06 am
What exactly is it you are trying to control with the MPC? Ableton instruments? Clips? There could be dozens of potential issues that you've missed, it's tricky to help without you describing in detail exactly what you've done so far in terms of settings etc.

That said, I wrote an entire book that covers integrating live with the MPC, everything in there is tested fully with the mpc2500 and works 100%
http://www.mpc-samples.com/product.php/ ... eton-live/
By PillsInfinity Sun May 15, 2016 4:19 pm
Lampdog wrote:Quit with the distraught perception dude. I'm sure someone will come along with an answer or direction to pursue. Impatience is killin you right now. Put it in check my man.

lol i wasnt serious at all it was a joke.
By PillsInfinity Sun May 15, 2016 4:23 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:What exactly is it you are trying to control with the MPC? Ableton instruments? Clips? There could be dozens of potential issues that you've missed, it's tricky to help without you describing in detail exactly what you've done so far in terms of settings etc.

That said, I wrote an entire book that covers integrating live with the MPC, everything in there is tested fully with the mpc2500 and works 100%
http://www.mpc-samples.com/product.php/ ... eton-live/

I'm just trying to control the drum rack, i respect that you made books, i respect that a lot, trust me i really do, but like i'm not trying to buy one just to learn how to do one thing. I'm sorry but if you could direct me on how to use my mpc with the drum rack it'd be greatly appreciated. i even read that one article already and still really dont know how to do the configurations.
By Metatron72 Tue May 17, 2016 9:35 am
This is pasted from a post I made here years ago. If all you need is to have the pads play the drum rack sample cells, this might help.

(If you want to have the MPC+Live properly connected where the MPC could start/stop Ableton's sequencer, MPC sequencing things in Live, Or vice versa...check the Akai site. They have a real quick walk through to set that up right.) http://www.akaipro.com/syncableton

And Tutor's book on Ableton+MPC usage is certainly worth getting if you want to easily see all the possibilities of these two working in tandem.

But for just making the pad presses trigger the drum rack -

Select "MIDI From" as either "All Ins" (default) or choose the MIDI port/interface the MPC is connected to specifically (to make the MIDI you send to that channel exclusive and not trigger other instruments on other channels). Press the Rec Monitor button at the bottom of the MIDI channel that the Drum Rack is on.

Drum Racks start with MIDI note # 60 on the first pad, but to the left of the 16 pad grid there is a box that allows you select a group of 16 notes over 7 octaves. A MIDI controller will control whatever box of 16 are highlighted if it's pads are programmed like this

Pad 1- Note # 60
Pad 2 - Note # 62
Pad 3 - Note # 64
Pad 4 - Note # 65
Pad 5 - Note # 67
Pad 6 - Note # 69
Pad 7 - Note # 71
Pad 8 - Note # 72
Pad 9 - Note # 60 (On MIDI Channel 2A)
Pad 10 - Note # 62 (On MIDI 2A)
Pad 11 - Note # 64 (On MIDI 2A)
Pad 12 - Note # 65 (On MIDI 2A)
Pad 13 - Note # 67 (On MIDI 2A)
Pad 14 - Note # 69 (On MIDI 2A)
Pad 15 - Note # 71 (On MIDI 2A)
Pad 16 - Note # 72 (On MIDI 2A)

The square highlight box on the right side of the drum rack with the 128 squares can also be used to target what pads will be triggered. I believe the pads can just be in chromatic order from Note #36 and up and it will trigger the pads, if you don't want to manually make the MIDI Note # assignments listed above.

BTW-
To make a pad press trigger the whole sample, highlight the pad and press the third circular icon on the far left of the Drum Rack. Now you have a waveform view and controls for each sample/pad. Set the release on the ADSR envelope controls to maximum.
By PillsInfinity Tue May 17, 2016 7:58 pm
Metatron72 wrote:This is pasted from a post I made here years ago. If all you need is to have the pads play the drum rack sample cells, this might help.

(If you want to have the MPC+Live properly connected where the MPC could start/stop Ableton's sequencer, MPC sequencing things in Live, Or vice versa...check the Akai site. They have a real quick walk through to set that up right.) http://www.akaipro.com/syncableton

And Tutor's book on Ableton+MPC usage is certainly worth getting if you want to easily see all the possibilities of these two working in tandem.

But for just making the pad presses trigger the drum rack -

Select "MIDI From" as either "All Ins" (default) or choose the MIDI port/interface the MPC is connected to specifically (to make the MIDI you send to that channel exclusive and not trigger other instruments on other channels). Press the Rec Monitor button at the bottom of the MIDI channel that the Drum Rack is on.

Drum Racks start with MIDI note # 60 on the first pad, but to the left of the 16 pad grid there is a box that allows you select a group of 16 notes over 7 octaves. A MIDI controller will control whatever box of 16 are highlighted if it's pads are programmed like this

Pad 1- Note # 60
Pad 2 - Note # 62
Pad 3 - Note # 64
Pad 4 - Note # 65
Pad 5 - Note # 67
Pad 6 - Note # 69
Pad 7 - Note # 71
Pad 8 - Note # 72
Pad 9 - Note # 60 (On MIDI Channel 2A)
Pad 10 - Note # 62 (On MIDI 2A)
Pad 11 - Note # 64 (On MIDI 2A)
Pad 12 - Note # 65 (On MIDI 2A)
Pad 13 - Note # 67 (On MIDI 2A)
Pad 14 - Note # 69 (On MIDI 2A)
Pad 15 - Note # 71 (On MIDI 2A)
Pad 16 - Note # 72 (On MIDI 2A)

The square highlight box on the right side of the drum rack with the 128 squares can also be used to target what pads will be triggered. I believe the pads can just be in chromatic order from Note #36 and up and it will trigger the pads, if you don't want to manually make the MIDI Note # assignments listed above.

BTW-
To make a pad press trigger the whole sample, highlight the pad and press the third circular icon on the far left of the Drum Rack. Now you have a waveform view and controls for each sample/pad. Set the release on the ADSR envelope controls to maximum.

I'm still confused about the configurations as far as which outs i should plug the midi cables in and what settings i should do in the Midi/sync mode.

I have one midi cable plugged into out A.
Sync out set to: A (Master)
Mode: MIDI clock
Send mmc: on

i'm also confused about you mean by midi channel 2A, should l correspond the notes on pads 1-8 on 1A then 9-16 in another sequence and put the midi channel as 2A?
By PillsInfinity Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 pm
m:t:c wrote:
i'm not trying to buy one just to learn how to do one thing.

I think you should. Everything's covered there.

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/product/using-the-akai-mpc-with-ableton-live/

I'm going to be completely honest, **** that.

btw I figured out how to map it last night without his goddamn book. i'm thinking right now kind of even getting annoyed with the fact that guy was pretty much like "I could help you easily with some basic info but you have to pay me"
By MPC-Tutor Wed May 18, 2016 7:49 pm
PillsInfinity wrote:I'm going to be completely honest, **** that.
btw I figured out how to map it last night without his goddamn book. i'm thinking right now kind of even getting annoyed with the fact that guy was pretty much like "I could help you easily with some basic info but you have to pay me"

Wow. That is not what I said at all. I said I can't help you unless you give a step-by-step explanation of what you are currently doing including settings etc. You never did that. Don't then get abusive with me when you couldn't be bothered to explain exactly what you had done so far. How can I work out where you went wrong if I can't see what your settings and configs are?

As for the book, I told you all the info was already in there, so that was an option. I left it at that, I wasn't holding the knowledge to ransom, I was just pointing out that a resource exists that will help you, tried and tested - other people recommended my book, probably because they know a) it works, and b) the sales pay for the running of this forum

I mean, come on, I wrote just about the most niche book on the planet, "using an MPC with Ableton Live", is it really that strange that people would actually recommend it to you, being that you are, er, someone using an MPC with Live.

Anyway in the spirit of helping the MPC community, seeing as you worked it out yourself last night, why not share exactly how you did it? That way your post can help others in the future.

PillsInfinity wrote:i respect that you made books, i respect that a lot, trust me i really do

:lol: Yes I can tell.