Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By ayatolli Wed May 30, 2018 12:29 am
Hello :3

I already made a thread about 2500 vs Live in another subforum, but overall I think the 2500 is more suitable for me. I do oldschool hip hop, 128mb is enough, sound is nice, it‘s rock solid, bugfree, more midi ports (than the live) and with jjos pretty dope.

The only drawback might be that I can‘t use it for example in a plane or something. Live got them batteries, the 25k has not :(

My question is rather more, is it okay to still buy hardware that old? I mean it‘s 10 years behind the live n stuff.

I know tech only plays a siderole in the end its the user and his/her creative abilities that play the major role, but let‘s say I use this thing 5 years from now still, won‘t it be pretty odd, in a world that will (then) probably have MPCs with like 10gb of ram?

Is the MPC2500 long lasting enough to accompany me throughout the next years to come?

Greetings :) :) :)
By Matriks Wed May 30, 2018 6:14 am
ayatolli wrote:Is the MPC2500 long lasting enough to accompany me throughout the next years to come?

In my opinion it is definetly. Grab the JJOS-Software (2 or XL) and you'll be fine.
Other people still use older mpc's and create bangers with it, so you can do the same with the 2500.

While flying you can still use the Beatmaker-App or similar things and return to your 2500 after landing.
By ayatolli Wed May 30, 2018 9:47 am
Matriks wrote:
ayatolli wrote:Is the MPC2500 long lasting enough to accompany me throughout the next years to come?

In my opinion it is definetly. Grab the JJOS-Software (2 or XL) and you'll be fine.
Other people still use older mpc's and create bangers with it, so you can do the same with the 2500.

While flying you can still use the Beatmaker-App or similar things and return to your 2500 after landing.

Damn yeah the 2500 IS a beast but the Live could be used also on board of a plane for example n stuff. What‘s a drawback of the live? (I do have a 10h flight this upcoming summer :D )
By Lampdog Wed May 30, 2018 4:09 pm
ayatolli wrote:What‘s a drawback of the live?

Drawback? The software isn't grown up.
By Sharris Wed May 30, 2018 4:58 pm
Is it ok to buy an MPC 2500 in 2018? YES!
I bought a 2500 in 2016......then bought a 500 in 2017. I love them both. The 2500 with JJOS (I have JJOSXL) is crazy.......... I think it can stand up against a lot of modern gear. And I like loading A LOT of samples, so I can try different things out & was surprised how many samples I could load with the 128mb of memory. Plus you have the memory card or hard drive (I have an 80gb hard drive) & you can easily switch out samples.

Yea, the MPC Live has a few features that the 2500 doesn't have, but the 2500 has features the Live doesn't have. It's really just a matter of what features are most important to you.
By ayatolli Wed May 30, 2018 5:24 pm
Sharris wrote:Is it ok to buy an MPC 2500 in 2018? YES!
I bought a 2500 in 2016......then bought a 500 in 2017. I love them both. The 2500 with JJOS (I have JJOSXL) is crazy.......... I think it can stand up against a lot of modern gear. And I like loading A LOT of samples, so I can try different things out & was surprised how many samples I could load with the 128mb of memory. Plus you have the memory card or hard drive (I have an 80gb hard drive) & you can easily switch out samples.

Yea, the MPC Live has a few features that the 2500 doesn't have, but the 2500 has features the Live doesn't have. It's really just a matter of what features are most important to you.

What matters most to me is:
- a nice workflow
- good software that doesnt crash or has bugs
- the ability to export the track in a way so i can mix in my daw

Another thing that would be cool is
-mobile use. In the park, on the beach, in the plane, in the record store

But that‘s just something that seems to be impossible with the 25k :( dang. Other than that I prefer the 25k.
By Cockdiesel Wed May 30, 2018 6:32 pm
You might be able to get a 404 and a 2500 ....
I have the live and have had other Mpcs in the past. In my situation I would only switch if I wanted a differnt setup.

It’s up to you really but it seems the portabilitry seems to play a larger role.

My advice is to do what someone else suggested but a live and check it out within the return window. See if the features of the 2500 are really needed for your workflow. Not sure if the 2500 can export stems like the live which is why I really like it for my setup.

Grabing my iPad and live and sitting out back is my favorite thing to do. 2 cords midi and headphones, sometimes a portable speaker. Never was a reality for me now I wouldn’t trade it for much else.
By ayatolli Wed May 30, 2018 9:06 pm
I still don't know.

About the Live I like
-Portability
-It's new (a bit faster, more features)

About the 2500 I like
-It's worked out (no crashes/bugs)
-I prefer the layout (no touchscreen/look)

Now I just haven't listened any cool music made on the live yet... guys like Jaisu and Alchemist make music I really like, but they both use legacy MPCs and it would be odd imaging these guys with the Live... it just wouldn't fit their style of music and I do similiar music (or try to do so), so I wonder what machine would be best suitable for me :o
By Lampdog Wed May 30, 2018 10:09 pm
Sharris wrote:It's really just a matter of what features are most important to you.
By MPC-Tutor Thu May 31, 2018 2:52 pm
ayatolli wrote:... guys like Jaisu and Alchemist make music I really like, but they both use legacy MPCs and it would be odd imaging these guys with the Live... it just wouldn't fit their style of music and I do similiar music (or try to do so), so I wonder what machine would be best suitable for me :o

I'm sure the first thing they would say is that it doesn't matter what equipment you use, it's about how you use what you have. The idea that you couldn't make their style of music on an MPC Live is ridiculous.

I've seen Alchemist using a Ren and a Studio, his music sounded the same as it does when he's using a 2500. No offense, but it's hardly cutting edge technical music, it's sample chops. You can make that in any MPC, you can do that in an ipad. The 2500 does not have the key to the Alchemist sound, it's the samples he's putting into it and his production skills.

You are stressing about the wrong stuff my friend. If you want to make sample based stuff like this then get any sampler, a turntable and get to work. If you are set on portability on the cheap, get an mpc500. Don't buy a 2500 because you want to sound like Alchemist, it doesn't work like that.
By Sharris Thu May 31, 2018 9:38 pm
ayatolli wrote:Now I just haven't listened any cool music made on the live yet... guys like Jaisu and Alchemist make music I really like, but they both use legacy MPCs and it would be odd imaging these guys with the Live... it just wouldn't fit their style of music and I do similiar music (or try to do so), so I wonder what machine would be best suitable for me :o

So many things I want to say about the above statement......I'll just say I agree with MPC Tutor 100%.

Their style of music can be made on ANY MPC. It can be made on other hardware & software as well. So check that off your list, that way you can start thinking about what YOU can do, what YOU want, what features will help YOUR workflow.........

Just because that style of music can be made on any MPC, doesn't mean an MPC is suitable for you. You might not like the process or the MPC workflow.... if you don't like the process & you don't enjoy playing with it, you won't make any style of music on it, it'll collect dust.
By Lampdog Thu May 31, 2018 10:09 pm
Both of the 2 posts above mine are accurate "as ****".

and no, you are not an idiot, you are just undecided (we've ALL been there). You will be an idiot when you start claiming your headphones are not playing back midi. THEN, I will commence to clown.
By ayatolli Thu May 31, 2018 10:30 pm
Yeah, Alchemist even said in a video I saw when he did a commercial for drumbroker:
"People always ask me what machine I use, and I be like - whatever. Just... make it sing!"

In the end it's the producer, not the equipment. I'm sorry guys alright, wasting everyones time here. I'll make a decision. I'll think deeply about it, and just decide and then it be that way and whatever I will do, I will roll with it.

I will let you know! Peace, and thanks to everyone who took the time to help my confused ass

-Greetings from germany