Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Peter MB Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:17 pm
Hi,

My MPC2500 shuts down on its own since a couple of months when I try to load or save my projects... It doesn't do it all the time but most of the time. I've noticed that when the MPC has been ON for a longer time, there's less chances that it crashes.
I don't really know what to do, any suggestions?

Thanks!
By saltmcgault Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:51 pm
Peter MB wrote:Hi,

My MPC2500 shuts down on its own since a couple of months when I try to load or save my projects... It doesn't do it all the time but most of the time. I've noticed that when the MPC has been ON for a longer time, there's less chances that it crashes.
I don't really know what to do, any suggestions?

Thanks!

What OS are you using? what memory the size of the cf card are you using?
By saltmcgault Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:48 am
Peter MB wrote:When the MPC turns on it's written:
128MB installed
JJ-OS XL Version 3.45

but the CF card inside is 256MB

go to mpcresources at the top of page.. click on operating systems.
Download the akai os and download the latest version of jjosxl while you are at it. install the akai os. then install the latest jjosxl. my friends 2500 would act up (in other ways) and thats what i did and it fixed the issue. Ive had to do it a couple of times even when i had the akai os back in 2008. I really hope this helps. Keep me updated really curious if that works. Also back up anything you have on your cf card because you will have to reformat it when going back to jjosxl so anything on it will be gone. good luck :smoker:
By saltmcgault Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:52 am
Peter MB wrote:When the MPC turns on it's written:
128MB installed
JJ-OS XL Version 3.45

but the CF card inside is 256MB

I didnt mention this because i think your cf card is small enough (memory wise) I've tried this with a 2gb and up cf card and for some reason the mpc wouldn't read it. So when ever you try this make sure its not a cf card with tons of memory.
By saltmcgault Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:49 pm
Peter MB wrote:Thanks a lot!
I did what you said and for the moment it seems to work, the MPC didn't crash for the moment :-D
I'll let you know if it starts again.
Cheers!

thats awesome news!!!! :smoker: :-D If it ever happens again in the future you should be good just reinstall the jjosxl OS.
By saltmcgault Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:24 pm
Peter MB wrote:Yeah it started to do it again last night :(
Will try reinstalling it...

Thats whack. did you install the latest version of the akai os first?
By saltmcgault Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:20 pm
Peter MB wrote:Yes...
Do you think if I install a new hard drive it should fix the problem?

idk. luckily reinstalling the OS has worked for me. hopefully somebody else knows what could possibly be the issue. I would try again. thats what i would do amongst giving my mpc a couple of new names in the process.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:42 pm
Have you opened it up to check for loose connections etc? Also remove and try it without the ram installed, it might be faulty and making the 2500 shutting down and restarting it
By saltmcgault Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:29 pm
Damn you PeterMB!!!! You jinxed me!! I was sampling and trimming kicks, snares, hihats etc etc.. after about like an hour of all that I noticed pad A01 was "vers==os""as the named sample which idk where the **** that came from. so I ignored it and kept trimming and naming drums, When I hit mode then pad 3 "save" my mpc just started rebooting over and over.. :hmmm: I came to the conclusion that it was all your fault. :lol: jk I lost all the samples and the "vers==OS" (sample) disappeared so I just powered it down. So far it hasn't done it again. I just thought I would share with you just some janky things The OS may do sometimes.
By DJ Instramental Jay Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:31 pm
Tried using different outlet, diff power cord, and tried using diff CF card and it still have this same problem. Tried cleaning, and reseating the ram AND STILL no difference. I have now tried removing the RAM completely, and haven’t had any problems so far! Time will tell, and will post back soon to let you know if removing the ram cured this restarting BS.

Bought this 2500 for 1400$ last year from mpcstuff, and I got ripped off fr. So annoying. My guess if the RAM isn’t the problem then it most likely needs a new power switch assembly or worse…a whole new cpu motherboard! Might as well try, and sell this thing for parts if it needs a new main board. Not worth fixing. My guess it’s the main board going out. It stays powered on when it does go crazy, and constantly restarts which makes believe it’s something major. It’s hard to replicate this issue because it happens every other day, and doesn’t show very often. When it does restart it’s pretty consistent!
By DJ Instramental Jay Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:51 pm
It’s not the ram. Had it completely removed, and it still restarts constantly making it unusable. Will try reinstalling the operating system as it has free JJOS. I have a feeling this won’t fix it either, and most likely it’s the main board going out. I will never be buying from mpcstuff every again! They are shady af for charging 1400$ for a lemon 2500!