Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By marceloasherq Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:56 pm
tapedeck wrote:storage is the size of your drive. you can save as much up to that limit on there.

ram is what is active in the machine. you load things into ram and then you can use them. whenever you are working with the machine, you are working in ram. when you save or load something, you are working from the storage. so the idea is to load up stuff from storage, into ram, and then work, then save any edits back to storage.

during a live performance, you'll generally load a project into ram, use that, then just turn off the machine. saving happens beforehand.
saving and loading take time and you cannot use the machine at all while saving or loading.

time to get off the internet. go play with the thing...youll figure it out.

Cheers!! I will as soon as it's back from getting the new CF reader installed!
By marceloasherq Thu May 09, 2019 11:24 pm
saltmcgault wrote:have you formatted the cf cards while in the mpc? what cf card did you get?

It won't let me format while in the MPC. As soon as I click Mode and then either Load or Save, the entire thing freezes and has to be turned off/on to be responsive again.

I have a SanDisk Extreme III 8GB 30mb/s CF.

And I've also tried these SD cards:
-Sandisk Extreme Plus 32GB 80mb/s
-Lexar 1GB
-Kodak 2GB
-Canon 35MB

Was thinking I might just purchase this CF card and see what happens with something new, without an adapter, and only 2GB:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... 0DER&psc=1
By marceloasherq Fri May 10, 2019 12:20 am
Also tried a newer 128 GB card.

And upon further review, I don't need to restart the machine to get it running after pulling out the card. It unfreezes after a little while of having the card out.

So strange! Perplexed because I just paid to get a new CF slot put in, but it's behaving identically — as far as I can tell — post "repair".
By marceloasherq Sat May 11, 2019 5:56 pm
OK, Just tried the Verbatim 2GB card. Same issue! Freezes on LOAD/SAVE until I remove the card and wait a moment.

U contacted MPCstuff (where I purchased the replacement reader) and they suggested the ribbon cable might need replacing.

In the meantime, I realized the data wheel is malfunctioning. oye vey!
By saltmcgault Sat May 11, 2019 6:40 pm
marceloasherq wrote:OK, Just tried the Verbatim 2GB card. Same issue! Freezes on LOAD/SAVE until I remove the card and wait a moment.

U contacted MPCstuff (where I purchased the replacement reader) and they suggested the ribbon cable might need replacing.

In the meantime, I realized the data wheel is malfunctioning. oye vey!

for the jog wheel issue try hitting mode pad 10 and change the the “wheel type” i think with the original version jog wheel there’s 2 types and i have the a newer pcb board which has a different style jog wheel so mines set to type 1 try both 1 & 2. when you say malfunctioning is it just real skippy?
By marceloasherq Sat May 11, 2019 7:10 pm
saltmcgault wrote:for the jog wheel issue try hitting mode pad 10 and change the the “wheel type” i think with the original version jog wheel there’s 2 types and i have the a newer pcb board which has a different style jog wheel so mines set to type 1 try both 1 & 2. when you say malfunctioning is it just real skippy?

OK, i'll give that a shot! What I mean is that it SOMETIMES switches the value of what I'm trying to cycle through (like program or track, for example), but it's really rare and even then only goes one click and then doesn't. It feels fine. It just doesn't do sh*t, really.
By marceloasherq Sat May 11, 2019 7:21 pm
saltmcgault wrote:for the jog wheel issue try hitting mode pad 10 and change the the “wheel type” i think with the original version jog wheel there’s 2 types and i have the a newer pcb board which has a different style jog wheel so mines set to type 1 try both 1 & 2. when you say malfunctioning is it just real skippy?

ok, I see. It's in JJ. I did that and now the wheel does a little bit more, but now it's really glitchy in type 2. In type 1 it does almost nothing outside of very rare movements in value.
By saltmcgault Sat May 11, 2019 9:42 pm
my jog wheel started doing the same. i’d spin it would only work a couple moves after 2 complete rotations of the wheel and my mode button was damn near shot. so i said screw it and bought the pcb board from mpc stuff if you know how to solder which isn’t that hard but i would watch some videos and practice on some other board before hand you can replace that jog wheel pretty damn cheap on top of any other tactical switches that may **** up in the future. id invest in a good soldering gun. the mpc2500 is getting up there in age and there’s gonna be some things that you are going to want to replace. i remember my cf card use to do the same shit when i inserted it in there and it was right after i converted to jjos and also when i installed my homies xlcd screen and jjos128xl.i know i posted in the forums about it and i think i updated the thread on wtf i did to get it working. i’ll have to look.
By saltmcgault Sat May 11, 2019 9:46 pm
Also you can use the + & - buttons below the jog wheel also to move around. i’m not sure about trimming samples though. u can also use the qlink sliders to trim samples in trim mode go to the star point and hit the qlink button and move the slider slowly.. same with the end point. i almost prefer the +/- buttons when changing sqeunces and tracks etc etc. i never knew that until about 3 months ago. lol
By marceloasherq Sun May 12, 2019 12:31 am
saltmcgault wrote:my jog wheel started doing the same. i’d spin it would only work a couple moves after 2 complete rotations of the wheel and my mode button was damn near shot. so i said screw it and bought the pcb board from mpc stuff if you know how to solder which isn’t that hard but i would watch some videos and practice on some other board before hand you can replace that jog wheel pretty damn cheap on top of any other tactical switches that may **** up in the future. id invest in a good soldering gun. the mpc2500 is getting up there in age and there’s gonna be some things that you are going to want to replace. i remember my cf card use to do the same **** when i inserted it in there and it was right after i converted to jjos and also when i installed my homies xlcd screen and jjos128xl.i know i posted in the forums about it and i think i updated the thread on wtf i did to get it working. i’ll have to look.

The PCB replacement (with the smooth jog wheel) requires no soldering, right? I figure I might just do that at some point and fix a whole bunch of potential problems coming down the line and save myself hours of tinkering and frustration. I got the thing so cheap that I'm game to invest in it when I can afford to do so.

I have a decent soldering setup but have only done some minimal stuff in the past (messing with guitar effects).
By marceloasherq Sun May 12, 2019 12:36 am
saltmcgault wrote:i remember my cf card use to do the same **** when i inserted it in there and it was right after i converted to jjos and also when i installed my homies xlcd screen and jjos128xl.i know i posted in the forums about it and i think i updated the thread on wtf i did to get it working. i’ll have to look.

Also, YES! If you can find that I'd love to know.
By marceloasherq Sun May 12, 2019 12:38 am
saltmcgault wrote:Also you can use the + & - buttons below the jog wheel also to move around. i’m not sure about trimming samples though. u can also use the qlink sliders to trim samples in trim mode go to the star point and hit the qlink button and move the slider slowly.. same with the end point. i almost prefer the +/- buttons when changing sqeunces and tracks etc etc. i never knew that until about 3 months ago. lol

Good to know! I knew that about the +/- buttons, but not about the q-link sliders. I'm just now starting to spend a little bit of time each day getting into the manual. The more I get into it the more I realize things are screwy with my MPC.

For example, when I hit Pad 1 it tends to also trigger Pad 2. I have to hit it in a very specific spot for it not to do that ... so there's a whole other beast to figure out.