Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By ghoulie Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:26 am
Hi everyone!

I finally decided to add an MPC to my setup and found a decent used unit on ebay. Pad sensor was mentioned as likely the only issue but of course, I don't think that's the case.

The unit is using JJOS128XL v 1.28 with 128 mb RAM installed, no CF card (ordered a 16gb).
Everything turns on fine, but the only audio I can get is low/distorted from the record in. Can't hear metronome. This for stereo out & phones. Volume & record knobs don't work. I get a weird duckish chorus of sounds when the system starts and a constant high pitched whir which I assume are the HDD.

Pads aren't responding, but give a high pitch beep when held (loudness affected by velocity).

Restarting holding ERASE has no effect, and restarting holding WINDOW tells me to insert a memory card. HDD isn't recognized by USB.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction before throwing money at new gear/service. I just can't seem to find any info on these issues online. Thank you!
By ghoulie Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:22 am
Update:

Bottom 2 pad rows affect the Q1 parameters by a consistant 1 or 3 change.. weird. This doesn't happen when the wire connector on the left Q Link board is disconnected, but the pads still beep.
16 gig (FAT32) Sandisk gets "wrong card" when booted while holding WINDOW.

Does this sound like I need to replace the whole board? I can see the signal coming through the THRU, but garbage audio.

Looking for any kind of suggestion on moving forward. Thanks again!
By KorbenDallas Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:00 pm
Sounds like a hardware issue that needs an expert, it will be hard to find the root cause remotely. I had a similar issue with another drum machine that I bought on Ebay (audio outs not working) and some electronics had to be replaced / repaired, now everything is working fine.

Good luck.
By ghoulie Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:51 pm
KorbenDallas wrote:Sounds like a hardware issue that needs an expert, it will be hard to find the root cause remotely. I had a similar issue with another drum machine that I bought on Ebay (audio outs not working) and some electronics had to be replaced / repaired, now everything is working fine.

Good luck.

I figured as much--decided it might be worth the shot in the dark. Thank you!