Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By guaposounds Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:50 pm
Hi All,

New to the forums and the MPC world, so thank you in advance for any replies and good to be part of the community.
I just purchase an MPC2500 Special Edition off of Ebay. It was advertised as fully functional, lightly used, no issues. After extensive testing and getting a handle on the OS and making sure it was not an operator error issue, it seems like everything works fine except the buttons overall don't activate all of the time, I'd say 75% of the time, then I need to press again or press harder which I'd rather not do. Also, and this is the big one, the main output AND phones out only output the right side. Cosmetically, the unit is in great shape, but looking for advice on what to do at this point. Do I try to get some money for repair from seller? Return and keep looking for another unit? Pop open the hood and look for obvious loose connections? Thanks again.
By NearTao Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:58 pm
Depends on how handy you are.

Assuming you want to try the below... unplug the device before you do anything! :D

The buttons are a common problem, and the best solution is to solder in new tact switches, the switches themselves aren't usually too pricy, but the time can be quite a bit if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. A quick fix might be to take the top off and spray some deoxit into the buttons and then press them to help knock of oxidation... but your milage may vary here. The output sounds like a possible bigger problem, but it'd be hard to test it without getting into the guts of the 2500. It's possible that the solder just needs to be redone on the terminal, or you might have a loose/bung cable... if you take it apart, you could try taking off and reseating the cable to the audio on both ends... but beyond those suggestions it probably needs somebody who knows how to use a multimeter to trace it down. If you think you've got a bunged up board you *could* check out MPC Stuff... but they run pricey, and it may not fix your issue.

Otherwise...

If you have somebody local to you, see if you can get a quote to fix it.
By guaposounds Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:35 am
Thanks for the reply. I found a good tech here in Portland to do the work and the seller agreed to pay for half. He's resoldering the outputs and just spraying the switches. Seems it got damaged in transit. Hope to have a fully functional MPC2500 soon! Cheers!