Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By em_p_see Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:48 am
I need a new rec gain pot (different than the q link and fader pots).

I do not want to pay $16 on MPCstuff for one.

Where would I go about finding one?

I've checked the service manual for part names but I can't find any.

Thanks
By selecta jo Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:26 am
welcome to the forums!

the part no. you are looking for is listed in the service manual for the mpc 2500 in section 11 "PC OPERATION-R BLK" as: vr701 EV-822422X VR ROTARY RD14K12D L20 C203X2

this is the AKAI part number - according to other forum members this ALPS part should be the same: ALPS RK14K12-D or ALPS RK14K1230D0R, but better check the specs in the ALPS datasheet before buying to find the one that has no center detent and is right in shaft length, resistance value and taper.

peace, jo
By em_p_see Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:29 am
selecta jo wrote:welcome to the forums!

the part no. you are looking for is listed in the service manual for the mpc 2500 in section 11 "PC OPERATION-R BLK" as: vr701 EV-822422X VR ROTARY RD14K12D L20 C203X2

this is the AKAI part number - according to other forum members this ALPS part should be the same: ALPS RK14K12-D or ALPS RK14K1230D0R, but better check the specs in the ALPS datasheet before buying to find the one that has no center detent and is right in shaft length, resistance value and taper.

peace, jo

Thanks! This is what I'm looking at https://tech.alpsalpine.com/prod/e/html ... _list.html

Can't find quite the same thing, but I'm totally out of my element with this stuff. I do know however that none of these are worth $16.
By selecta jo Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:45 am
Yes i understand that you think 16,-$ is way too much for a part that also can be found for under 2,-$.

But also you say that you donĀ“t have enough knowledge or information to find the right part.

So there are two possible ways to go forward:

1. Just buy the part for 16,-$ that you know will fit and function because some other peope did the work for you so you can use your mpc in no time and start making music again.

or

2. Try to educate yourself more about the part you need by - reading the datasheet or the list on the page you linked, find out more about the actual failing part in your mpc, find out the resistance value and taper, measure the shaft length and so on.
You do have some measurement tools, do you? Surely you have because you also would solder the replacement part yourself, are you?
Then maybe also read the description on the mpcstuff website, maybe there is some technical details listed. Reduce the list at the website you linked to the products that fit the demand. Order that part, put it in your mpc and you can start making music in a little bit more time but you will surely learn quite a lot till then.

peace, jo
By CharlesRandolph Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:05 pm
Take out the part, go to electronic parts store that know about components and they should be able to assist you. You could call mouser (800) 346-6873 and see if they could push you in the right directions. Again you'll need to remove the part and give them the markings on the part.

However 16 may seem expensive, but it's cheaper then sending to a repair shop, pay the bench fee, parts price, and return shipping. Even if you drop it off, they're going to charge you bench fee. So pay the $16, install it and move on.