Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By drakethefruitcake Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:27 pm
Hello everyone,

I am planning to buy a 2500 soon and I'm a newbie to JJOs and the overwhelming amount of versions and updates and paid vs free versions. I heard that with Free versions of JJOS, you cannot save your beats, is this true? I plan on buying a 2500 used online, is there any way to tell if an online listing mpc contains the free or paid versions? One listing I am very interested in states that the mpc is "JJOS Version 3.13" . Does that help indicate if its paid or free?
All help is appreciated. I just want to purchase a 2500 to make beats and after finding out about the JJOS it seems pretty cool and handy to me but I also want to be able to save my beats.
By selecta jo Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:02 pm
welcome to the forums!

the version 3.13 is the current free version acording to this website: http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/mpc2500/

if you can save with this version is not very clear from that website, but we have a dedicated section in this forum for that alternative os, so there are other members that surely can help you with that.

if you end up buying this particular mpc than you can try that alternative os or just install the latest official os from akai version 1.24 (or 1.23 if you donĀ“t need stereo chop shop, because that can slow the os 1.24 down a lot). with that original os you also can use the mpc to make great music and be sure you are able to save your work.

if you tried it and like the alternative os better you can always buy a password for that to support the developer for his work.

or look further until you find a used mpc with an activated alternative os and buy that.

peace, jo
By NearTao Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:17 pm
As Christov said, you can save on the free version.

What you are probably hearing (which is true) is that you can get the demo version for OS2/2XL/3, and install it on your system, but you are unable to save until you buy a license.

The free version of JJOS is absolutely worth installing (and is a requirement to install OS2/2XL/3), as it fixes many bugs. The paid versions of OS2/2XL/3 are also worth looking into as they add many great features and take the 1k/2.5k and make them into serious production machines with fundamental features like key groups...
By Christov Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:48 pm
What NearTao said, the free version is definitly worth it! I never felt like I missed out on something with the free version - altho' I gotta be honest here - I never did anything too complicated with my 2500. But since I got it on my 1000 I immediatly installed it on my 2500 too make sure my old files would work.

Free JJOS is great. Get it, you can always upgrade but as it is, it's already great.