Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By jellyjim Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:21 am
no really, welcome the mpc2500 ..... unless it's some elaborate hoax in which case I give up on mankind

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/2010/mpc2wj.th.jpg

Here are the details:

KEY FEATURES AND BENEFITS
1) Improved Akai MPC design
• Large graphic LCD display based on the friendly user interface of
the MPC series
• MPC's iconic "feel" and "groove"
• Velocity and pressure sensitive pads allow for expressive
programming, with more pad banks
• New Features such as Chopshop, Patched Phrase, Grid Edit, Effect and
LFO sync, Mixer Automation,
and Input Thru
• Expanded Pattern-based 100,000 notes, 64-track sequencer and 64
external MIDI channels
• 32-voice full-featured 16bit sampler equipped with 16MB of RAM with
ability to hold 128 RAM
2) Extensive connectivity
• Two MIDI inputs and four MIDI outputs
• Built-in USB Slave port for connection to a Windows or Mac OS computer
• Built-in 10 analog outputs
• 2 1/4" stereo analog inputs and outputs with 16bit/44.1kHz sampling
• Master/Slave synchronization capabilities: MIDI clock
• 2 Assignable Footswitch inputs
3) Sample Library Compatibility- Compatible with Akai MPC1000
Sequence, .wav, Program,
MPC2000/2000XL Sequence, .wav, SND, Program, MPC2500 Sequences, .wav,
Programs,
MPC3000, Z4/Z8.wav and S5000/6000.wav
4) Extensive sound control
• Extensive sample editing that includes cut and paste, timestretch,
slice, resampling etc, with waveform
display
• Dynamic resonant multi-mode filters, 2 envelope generators and 1 LFO
for each of the 32 voices
• 2 Q-Link sliders and 2 knobs for real-time control over a wide
variety of dynamic changes
5) Self-contained
• Optional user installable Internal hard drive to store custom sound
libraries and sequences
• Optional user installable CD-RW drive to load CD-ROM libraries,
sample Audio CDs, and backup
personal data
MPC 2500

SPECIFICATIONS
SOUND GENERATOR
• Sampling rate 44.1kHz
• Memory capacity 16MB standard (11.5MB for sound memory), expandable
to 128MB
• Recording time 136sec. (16MB, MONO), 24m28sec. (128MB, MONO)
• Memory expansion slot 1 x for optional EXM128
• Data format 16-bit linear
• Polyphony 32
• Dynamic filtering 2 x 2-pole filter per voice
• Filter type Low pass, Band pass, High pass
• Preset sound memory 5MB
• Number of programs 24
EFFECTS
• Effects 2 stereo effects and Master effect
Effect type Chorus, Flanger, Bit grunger, 4 band EQ, Compressor, Phase
shifter, Tremolo, Flying
Pan, Reverb, Delay
• Master effect: 4 band EQ, Compressor
SEQUENCER
• Maximum events 100,000 notes
• Resolution 96 parts per 1/4-note
• Sequences 99
• Tracks per sequence 64
• MIDI output channels 64 (16 channels x 4 outputs)
• Song mode 20 songs, 250 steps per song
• Drum pad 16 (velocity and pressure sensitive)
• Drum pad banks 4
• Sync mode MIDI clock
DRUM PADS:
• 16 velocity and pressure sensitive pads
• 4 pad banks
• 16 Levels: Velocity, Tuning
• Automated Pad Mixer (Level, Pan and FX send)
• Track Mute and Next Sequence features for live performance
DATA COMPATIBILITY
• MPC1000 SEQ, WAV, PGM
• MPC2000/2000XL SEQ, WAV, SND, PGM (Most parameters of PGM file can
be loaded.)
• MPC2500 SEQ, WAV, PGM (DRUM program only. Only note assign and tune
are loaded.)
• MPC3000 SND (THRU Computer)
• Z4/Z8 WAV only
• S5000/6000 WAV only (THRU Computer)
• S1000/3000 No compatibility

from a post to [email protected]

Jim

By Lone Diplomat Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:38 am
that sucks!

because it means we'll not see an important OS update on the 1000, theyll focus on this thing right here

damn...

nice piece of hardware though

By dunic Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:45 am
wow it really has all the dope things of the 2000xl and 1000...and since the os update had the wishes of functions from the 2000xl i think that won't come anymore.

Looks like a dope thing, but to pay 2000$ ? I'll stick to my mpc1000 for now..

By JUKE 179r Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:50 am
I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!! People were calling a liar and saying that the rumors where false. We went through this sh!t before when people on this forum thought there there was no MPC4000 being made... well guess what... it happened.

By jellyjim Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:55 am
Lone Diplomat wrote:that sucks! because it means we'll not see an important OS update on the 1000, theyll focus on this thing right here

yes, doesn't bode terribly well for new features in a 1k os update does it? and i would have thought it almost certainly kills off the chances of the 1k ever taking a hdd (for those who don't know there's an unused connector on the 1k mobo that has the letters 'hdd' next to it)

however pricing will ultimately determine it's position in the mpc lineup, if it's significantly more expensive than the 1k then the 1k will remain an option

on the other hand i suspect it's running the same processor as the 1k, there's a big clue there, 128mb max ram (this is the max the 1k risc chip is capable of addressing) so in effect the code is already written and could be ported to the 1k easily ( ... hold your horses, ported easily by akai engineers that is not the likes of you or me)

it would very much appear to be a 2kxl update, there's no radical changes, just improvements, many in the os, evidence again it's running the same chip as the 1k, much cheaper to update software than create new hardware

my only inital disappointment is that it sounds like there's no changes to the effects section, which is kinda weird given that alesis are under the same umbrella company, alesis have proprietary effects chips coming out their ears

jim

By ONE Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:27 am
Hold your horses!

It's not all doom and gloom for the 1k. Akai have been known to keep updating their machines for awhile. Keep in mind it's only OS 1.07. You will get your update eventually. You still might get timestretch as well. Considering the timestretch on the 2500 is an advanced realtime timestretch like the MV has. Not even the 4k has that. The 1k will probably still get it, but more like the regular timestretch that's in the 2xl.

If akai put in timestretch in the DPS12 after the DPS12i came out, and upgraded the 60 so it will be more like the 3000....chances are there will be a timestretch update in the 1k. That's my thoughts anyways on the subject for now.

Also keep in mind the 1k has been out just a little past a year and a half. Akai doesn't start doing anything really dope with their machines till they've been out for at least 3 years.

By ONE Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:33 am
jellyjim wrote:
my only inital disappointment is that it sounds like there's no changes to the effects section, which is kinda weird given that alesis are under the same umbrella company, alesis have proprietary effects chips coming out their ears

jim

Well it looks like it gots the oft bitched about delay happening.

By djobserv Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:43 am
word. all im waiting for is zoning. and some other non major issues(not timestrech) to be added.a litle tighter timing. and then it wont matter to me if they dont update it after that. that 2500 would be dope if it was around the same price as the 2kxlmcd or a little cheaper.

By ONE Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:50 am
djobserv wrote:word. all im waiting for is zoning. and some other non major issues(not timestrech) to be added.a litle tighter timing. and then it wont matter to me if they dont update it after that. that 2500 would be dope if it was around the same price as the 2kxlmcd or a little cheaper.

Timestretch and Zoning go hand in hand. If there is an update coming and additions are made in this area...both will most definitely be added. I don't see it being a one or the other type of thing. It's more likely all or nothing.

By mahoney Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:23 am
Does 2500 have two Q-Link sliders for a reason? Yeah effects must improve. Two years down the line this should not go into production with same effect processors as on 1K. Funny, no surprise this surfaces in 1K forums first.. Ever felt like something's missing?

By morgan Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:31 am
I call bull$hit on this here and now. Looks like a photoshop job, the proportions are wrong.

From the FutureProducers thread:
• Built-in 10 analog outputs

Later on in the spec section:
• 4 individual outputs 1/4-inch phone x 4 balanced +11dBu, output impedance 1k Ohms,

It's a copy of the 1k spec sheet with a few things changed, but they forgot to change them all. Also it says the power consumption is 70W, the 1k needs 19W and this thing says it's pretty much the same spec. 70W would be ridiculous for that.

So nice try, but I don't think so. If it is true though I'd get one.

By guesswhosback Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:57 am
dudes got some skillz

funky mpc collage neway

By jellyjim Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:04 pm
morgan wrote:I call bull$hit on this here and now. Looks like a photoshop job, the proportions are wrong.

You may be right. The specs don't quite ring true for me either. If you are right there's somebody out there who REALLY NEEDS TO GET A LIFE!

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=34963

???

Jim.

By morgan Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:07 pm
Well spotted jim!