Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500

Do you intend to buy the new MPC 2500?

37%
33%
30%

By jahrome Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:28 pm
Its only 16 bit!

It only has 4 banks per program.

I'm not gonna get either, but if I was looking to drop 2 grand on an MPC, I'ma drop 2500 and get a 4000. I think I've said this before....

Thanks for your input.

What will it need for it to be worth the price?

Also, only the MPC 4000 is 24 bit.....and there are still way more MPC 2000XL users than 4000 users, for what ever reason. As I said before..every person that wants 24bit, there aee several more who want even 12 bits..for whatever reason.

Also, the MPC 2500 has 4 (pad banks) sound banks not program banks. You can use as many as 64 programs..one for each track. The Xl can only use 4 programs per sequence.

By BRAVO Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Access 4 - With program changes, u can 'use' more!

By M.ic P.ro C.rusher Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:40 pm
jahrome wrote:only the MPC 4000 is 24 bit.....and there are still way more MPC 2000XL users than 4000 users, for what ever reason.

Prolly 'cause the price difference :roll:

jahrome wrote:Also, the MPC 2500 has 4 (pad banks) sound banks not program banks. You can use as many as 64 programs..one for each track. The Xl can only use 4 programs per sequence.

Actually the 2500 only has 24 programs.

So instead of 24 programs with 4 banks why not 16 programs with 6 banks each, that way you can have an 88 key piano program instead of just 64?

Why no host USB, just a slave USB, so you cannot hook up external USB devices?

32 note polyphony? If your using a different program on each track, you need more than 32 note polyphony.

I could keep on going (I think my 2000xl has more notes per sequence) but I don't care enough to. Point is, that for $2400 I can get a 4000, so why sepnd $400 less to get $1000 less worth of features?

By elmacaco Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:29 pm
Interface Interface Interface.

how fun/ easy is it to use, that will make or break it.

By c.toon Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:37 pm
everyone knows youll never let that 60 go for anything :twisted:

By jahrome Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:01 pm
Prolly 'cause the price difference

The price does figure into the equation of how many MPC 4000 vs 2000XL users. But that isn't the only factor. Even with all the power of the MPC 4000, there are many producers that prefer the XL over the 4000..producers that can afford any piece of gear that they want..but still prefer the XL.

So instead of 24 programs with 4 banks why not 16 programs with 6 banks each, that way you can have an 88 key piano program instead of just 64?

The MPC 2500 is not the MPC 4000. If you need an 88 key piano program, get the MPC 4000 or another stand alone sampler. It is not designed for what you are talking about...nothing we can do about that.

Why no host USB, just a slave USB, so you cannot hook up external USB devices?

Good question. Is that a feature the majority of people want?? and what do ypu intend to do with that feature? Is this function available on similar units in the same price range?? Unless I am mistaken..no. But it is something worthy to talk about if potential buyers do want this feature. But why we are at it..why even use USB. Why not firewire? We would be going on for days trying to add features to this thing.

32 note polyphony? If your using a different program on each track, you need more than 32 note polyphony.

Correction...if you use a different program on each track...you MAY need more polyphony. Polyphony indicates how many notes will be played back at the same time. This MPC is not a fullfledge sampler like the 4000. The ideal use is for sampling drums and phrases/loops and sequencing external MIDI gear (thus the extra MIDI outputs). Polyphony may never even come into play..anymore than it has come into play with any of the other MPCs.

I could keep on going (I think my 2000xl has more notes per sequence) but I don't care enough to. Point is, that for $2400 I can get a 4000, so why sepnd $400 less to get $1000 less worth of features?

Until the MPC 4000 and the software upgrade to the 2000XL...100,000 notes was about all the previous MPCs could handle. Even with 100,000 notes..that is plenty for doing what most people are using it for. I seriously doubt you will run out of notes. If you are using more than 100,000 notes in a single sequence, just create another sequence and link the sequences together in the song mode.

The 2500 has several key features that even MPC 4000 users want and don't have today. It seems like the MPC 4000 is the machine for you since it has these 'vital' specs that you need. If you can get a new $2400 MPC 4000 with 8 outputs expansion..that is a pretty good deal but you will still be missiing these great features (and not everybody can get an MPC 4000 for that price..they usually go for over $3000 when the 8 output board is installed).

The great thing about these units...you have a choice. Yiou can get the MPC 4000 or a more streamlined 2500..although it doesn't have the same power as the MPC 4000s sampler..it can hold its own with these great additions.

By mikettm Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:04 pm
IF there is a new os for the 1k ill check it out and stick with my 1k but if not i rather just buy a 2kxl its not how it looks on the outside its what it can do in the inside :D

ByGuest Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:12 pm
Gonna put it through its paces first... if I like it I'll go ahead and cop it.

By elmacaco Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:17 pm
No one here has ever used 100,000 notes, that's why they lowered it, it was wasted power. the 60 has 60,000, and the 3000 has 75,000 and no one would even exceed that. I think some of you are just trying to justify keeping your mpc's by naming stuff that doesn't really matter. 32 note polyphony should be plenty as well, unless you're using nothing but stereo samples, and even then 16 notes at once shouldn;t be that bad. You can also combine stuf with the resampling so in theory and in practice you don't have limits if you know how to use the machine right.

C.Toon, I won;t be getting rid of my 60, but if someone builds a great drum machine I might include it along side it. This MPC is the only one I could see myself using and enjoying besides the 60. I have hign standards and many pet peeves and if something don't sit right i won;t tolerate it. it seems that akai is really listening with this one and has built a better MPC, this has the potential to be the best one yet. to be honest i felt the same way about the 1000 when all we had were pictures, but once I actually got to use it my opinion changed. i still like it, but this seems to tae the good steps even further. if they get this one right I have no qualms saying it's a dope MPC, even if I don;t get one or couldn't get one for whatever reason. All MPC's are great, but it seems they are really trying this time.

By Capshun Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:25 am
id rather spend the money on turntables,a rack and a controller

By outsida.2 Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:35 am
Some people like myself would rather buy a newer machine that comes with a few upgrades, instead of plunking money into a machine I bought used, thats 5+years old (2kXL) to get it to a similar postion that this one starts off with. My NV slider is broken, I need the 8 outs, I had been looking to install a Card Reader ect... And also most of the features in the 4000 I don't think I would fully utilize. My plan is to sell my XL for a few bills then upgrade to this one once I hear about the functionality/os bugs from people that buy the unit on realease date.

By jahrome Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:42 am
My plan is to sell my XL for a few bills then upgrade to this one once I hear about the functionality/os bugs from people that buy the unit on realease date.

I am hoping that this section of the forum grows when people decide to jump to the new 2500. Go ahead and sell your MPC 2000Xl while you can still get good money for it and put it towards the 2500 :D

By LaJProd Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:51 am
jahrome wrote:My plan is to sell my XL for a few bills then upgrade to this one once I hear about the functionality/os bugs from people that buy the unit on realease date.

Seems to be the plan of many!!!!
Last edited by LaJProd on Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

By LaJProd Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:53 am
jahrome wrote:
My plan is to sell my XL for a few bills then upgrade to this one once I hear about the functionality/os bugs from people that buy the unit on realease date.

I am hoping that this section of the forum grows when people decide to jump to the new 2500. Go ahead and sell your MPC 2000Xl while you can still get good money for it and put it towards the 2500 :D

Hell I just got a 2000XL, 8 zip disk full of sounds, a pair of Sony MDR-V700 headphones with bag and 100 records to sample from for $662....Looks like people have alreay started to sell....You start selling, I start gaining!!!!

By jahrome Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:58 am
Hell I just got a 2000XL, 8 zip disk full of sounds, a pair of Sony MDR-V700 headphones with bag and 100 records to sample from for $662....Looks like people have alreay started to sell....You start selling, I start gaining!!!!

Good price..dude should have at least get $850 for that. I should start selling peoples gear for them and take a percentage.....put my stamp on it...Jahrome