Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500

By cowbell Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:15 pm
jahrome wrote:You can choose up to 4 instruments/notes to move at one time.

i think it's more than 4 notes at at time. I just tested it on my 1000 and when you hit pads to select them for moving (shifting) it can only display 4 notes on the display. After the fourth note you'll see ". . . ."
BUT all notes/pads you hit are actually being moved.
Still, why did Akai change the easy/sensible shifting option into this irritating and time consuming SEQ EDIT option. In fact i believe this SEQ EDIT - NOTE MOVING option was already there on the MPC2000, there was just an EXTRA shift option in quantize (timing correct).
I used to use time shifting a lot on my MPC2000 but hate the way i have to get the same results on the 1000.

By Roopesh Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:24 pm
Same here...part of the reason i sold my 1000 over 1.5 years ago.

don't get me wrong...i loved the mpc 1000 for its own strengths, i.e. its compact size, its clean sound, etc. But when getting creative, the simplicity just wasn't there for note shifting.

I cannot beleive akai have gone and done this again. I think many traditional MPC'ers are gonna pass up on this one.

But still theres always and will be a market for the 2500...and thats the new school.

By Jenre Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:37 pm
but there is a grid edit and piano roll so i assume you could move notes around in there a lot easier

By jahrome Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:31 pm
The OS in my unit is 1.00. So there is no telling what might change or improve. I am going back-n-forth with Akai USA as I type this to see if they can give me insight on anything. They were shocked that I received the MPC so quickly.

I think I said it already..but if note shifting is that a big deal, you should not get this unit. It is there..I don't like where it is and want it back the old way..but from using MPCs for some time, this is what I have been waiting for.

Cowbell, I believe your are correct with your statement about the number of notes you can move at a time. It does display the '....' for additional notes. I thing they should change that part as well so you can see the additional notes you want to move.

Jenre, you are correct. you can easily shift any notes using the grid edit.

By cowbell Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:46 pm
jahrome wrote:I am going back-n-forth with Akai USA as I type this to see if they can give me insight on anything. They were shocked that I received the MPC so quickly.

F_ck Akai US. Naive idiots, it's available in Japan and now one or two people have it in the states, gee what a shock....

jahrome wrote:Jenre, you are correct. you can easily shift any notes using the grid edit.

Nice, but can you shift a note 1 out of 96ppqn in that window? Cause i want very subtle shifting, not 16th or something.

By jahrome Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:48 pm
Nice, but can you shift a note 1 out of 96ppqn in that window? Cause i want very subtle shifting, not 16th or something.

I will have to check that tonight.

By punchdrunk Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:15 pm
wow....i can't believe they didn't put early/late feature back into the time correct window. that was one of the biggest things they stripped away from the 1000.

i guess with the piano roll and the grid editor you can achieve the same effect (just like also doing it in seq edit). but not including it on the time correct window is retarded to me. seemed so much easier that way....

i'm in no rush to jump on this yet at all....

By jahrome Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:20 pm
wow....i can't believe they didn't put early/late feature back into the time correct window. that was one of the biggest things they stripped away from the 1000.

i guess with the piano roll and the grid editor you can achieve the same effect (just like also doing it in seq edit). but not including it on the time correct window is retarded to me. seemed so much easier that way....

i'm in no rush to jump on this yet at all....

I really do feel you. The feature is there though, just in another MENU. Not really a deal breaker though especially since it does alot more than any MPC (the 4000 is the exception).