Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Jenre Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:30 pm
I emailed Digital Village to ask when the MPC2500 would be available and what price for. Got a reply today and they hadn't even heard of it. The guy who emailed me has been using MPCs for years and he's heard nothing of it. Said he'd email me when he's got any firm news but i might email him some pics and info etc (if anyone has any links so i can get it all together in one place that'd be great!)

but yeah, i thought the people in the UK would like to know this. seems that Akai haven't done anything to promote the unit so far over here.

By Roopesh Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:41 am
DV are not the most uptodate.

Just in case you wasn't aware of the sonic state video, the guy in the video works for Numark UK. The 2500 was demoed at the Plasa Show two weeks ago.

This guy as Numark told me that the 2500's hit UK in November. they only have 1 in the Numark building, which is a mile away from me. But i ain't gonna brake in.

So it looks like another month and a bit.

By Jenre Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:59 am
I'm not saying DV know everything and know it first, I'm just saying that Akai clearly haven't done much to get the word out. No wonder they've had troubles selling units and getting good distribution.

By MPC-Tutor Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:22 am
It really doesn't surprise me that the guy at DV knew nothing about the MPC2500 - my experience of these 'chain' music shops like DV and Sound Control has led me to realise that they are no different to the spotty youths who work at Dixons and Currys - i.e.

Assistant: Hello, can I assist you sir?

Me: 'Yes, can you tell me a little more about this please, I may be interested in buying it'

Assistant: 'Er, yeah, well it's the latest one. (starts looking very closely at the spec summary on the price label). And it's got 16MB of memory and a CDROM drive.

Me: I know that, I can read that label that you're reading, But how about some more details on the sequencer. How many notes, what kind of quantise etc'

Assistant. Hmmm, I don't know, I'll get the manual from the back of the store and have a look - in fact, why don't you look at it ytouself so I can serve someone else?'

Me: 'so, you don't actually know anything about this at all?'

Assistant: 'Well, I can't be expected to know everything about everything we sell.'

Me: Yeah, but I'd expect you to know at least something about it, otherwise how can you justify your job description as a 'sales' assistant when you don't actually do any selling?
Last edited by MPC-Tutor on Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

By BRAVO Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:28 am
LOL!

Thats crazy.....You get that alot when u walk up to the kit costing £1000 upwards...They trying to scrape that commission :twisted: - I rent most the sh1t i BUY b4hand

By Jenre Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:28 am
this is the point though.. i didnt email this man in particular. it was obviously forwarded to him because he knew about mpcs. he says hes used them for years (i have no reason to believe he's lying) and that he hasnt heard of this one.

even if they know nothing about the product details they should at least know that the thing actually exists!

By MPC-Tutor Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:38 am
Jenre wrote:even if they know nothing about the product details they should at least know that the thing actually exists!

You'd think so - I would like to think that someone working in a music store would actually be interested in music production and as such 'keep their ear to the ground' so to speak - i.e. reads industry mags, checks out forums, etc - maybe I'm being a little too MPC-Centric, perhaps most music stores don't give a stuff about MPCs and hence don't know the latest news until the machine arrives on their doorstep?

This is why I always go to smaller shops for gear - Electromusic in Doncaster is great - eveyone in there lives and breathes music production and 90% of the time can answer any reasonable question you may have about a piece of kit without hesitation.

By the average man Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:54 pm
BRAVO wrote:LOL!

I rent most the sh1t i BUY b4hand

you should change Redman's board to "rent before buying yo!" :D

By Mantis Beats Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:16 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:It really doesn't surprise me that the guy at DV knew nothing about the MPC2500 - my experience of these 'chain' music shops like DV and Sound Control has led me to realise that they are no different to the spotty youths who work at Dixons and Currys - i.e.

Co-Sign !!!

By BRAVO Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:34 pm
the average man wrote:
BRAVO wrote:LOL!

I rent most the sh1t i BUY b4hand

you should change Redman's board to "rent before buying yo!" :D

Ha ha ha! Wicked!

By Godwithagun Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:09 am
What about price in the uk! anyone? god i hope its less than £1500.

By Roopesh Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:51 pm
Godwithagun wrote:What about price in the uk! anyone? god i hope its less than £1500.

I don't think Akai are putting this one out at £1500 in the UK. No CD-RW, No HD, being the Mid range unit to replace the XL...i doubt it.

More like £899 or £999

By jahrome Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:48 pm
Roopesh
I don't think Akai are putting this one out at £1500 in the UK. No CD-RW, No HD, being the Mid range unit to replace the XL...i doubt it.

More like £899 or £999

£1500-1650 will be the likely price in Europe. There will be no way a new MPC will be less than what people pay in Asia.

By Roopesh Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:21 am
jahrome wrote:
Roopesh

More like £899 or £999

£1500-1650 will be the likely price in Europe. There will be no way a new MPC will be less than what people pay in Asia.

You can buy the brand new MPC 4000 Plus for £1349 in the UK inc Vat.

Why would the 2500 cost any more. If it did, good luck to akai.

By jahrome Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:03 am
Roopesh wrote:
You can buy the brand new MPC 4000 Plus for £1349 in the UK inc Vat.

Why would the 2500 cost any more. If it did, good luck to akai.

OOpps :lol:

I used the wrong conversion formula but you may have as well. At £1349 for an MPC 4000 is just over $1600 US. I should be buying MPCs from you :D

£1300-1600 is the likely full range of prices for the MPC 2500, you will see in Europe, no matter what the MPC 4000 costs.