Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500

2500 to big

3%
97%
By THE ADVERSARY Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:14 pm
Ok so we know that the 2500 was to be a replacement for the XL, but do you think it could have benefit from having more real estate?
No saying as big as the 4k but just to give it a less cramped feel.
Aside from the few start up bugs the reason I don't like the 2500 is I wish it was larger and I don't like the shift to pad function.
I would rather the shift function applied to the numeric key pad instead of the control pads.
The design of the 1k, 2k's and 2500 seem to make me lean forward more into a cramped feel as compared to the 60's, 3k or 4k.
Not the beat tapping part, it the editing part.
The OS is pretty smoove to get around on it the physiacl nature I describing.
How do you feel?
I know this isn't something for Akai to fix I am just curious how others feel.
Thanks

By Spirez Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:38 pm
I like the size of the unit but it is my first MPC so i can't really compare to any of the others.

I think the screen is a good size, the knobs are big enough to get a good range of movement on, all of the buttons have a good amount of space between them, text is easily readable and the pads are preety much everything i expected.

To be honest, the actual unit is bigger than what i thought it would be from looking at pictures on the net.
By _Stilo_ Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:07 pm
THE ADVERSARY wrote:Aside from the few start up bugs the reason I don't like the 2500 is I wish it was larger

Wow... I for my part rather thought "at least they built it a little more slender and elegant than the bulky 2000" :D

I like the dimensions pretty much... looks sexy.

I would rather the shift function applied to the numeric key pad instead of the control pads.

I think that's really only cause you're used to the way it is on the 2000? For a first time user it won't make a difference, perhaps hitting the pads is even a little more omfortable than the small numeric keys...

Stilo.
By THE ADVERSARY Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:22 pm
_Stilo_ wrote:I think that's really only cause you're used to the way it is on the 2000? For a first time user it won't make a difference, perhaps hitting the pads is even a little more omfortable than the small numeric keys...

Stilo.

I was thinking more about the wear and tear.
I rather be clicking around on the buttons then making selections with the pads.
On the 2k's it's annoying to beat your pads up for naming instead of being able to use the push buttons like on say the 60.

By jahrome Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:22 am
As a long time MPC user...using the pads to select different menus is a good thing. After using the MPC 3000.2000/2000XL for years, the buttons used to navigate through different menus wear out and need to be replaced. The pads of MPCs last quite a long time (unless you purchased the cheap MPC 1000).

As far as real estate...I don't feel the 2500 is cramped at all.

By Antonym Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:55 am
other than pad size and screen size, i'd think that the smaller the machine, the better...

By jahrome Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:10 am
That's why there are options.....

By THE ADVERSARY Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:23 pm
Funny thing is that I messed with a couple of 2500's and had convinced myself that I could deal with it and then Jahrome posted about the extra MIDI outs not working.
Pretty much stalled me on it.
I will wait for the update to arrive and pan out and then see what's what.

Funny thing Jahrome is that over the years I have seen more people with funky pads than funky buttons.
I guess it comes down to a persons methods.

Probably with some long term usage the combo of the pads would be cool since the screen is centered and they are located directly below that.

Also don't get me wrong I'm not hating on the 2500 just asking users how they feel about it.

By THE ADVERSARY Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:27 pm
Antonym wrote:other than pad size and screen size, i'd think that the smaller the machine, the better...

I have big hands and have no love for small gear.
I never move gear around, where ever I am will have what I need so I don't need things to be portable.
So compact has never been on my list of desired features, but I understand how it plays into the needs of others.

By Spirez Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:42 pm
What makes you want the 2500 instead of the 4k?

By THE ADVERSARY Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:39 am
Too many things about the 4k say Akai will bail on it.
If the O.S. on the 2500 would have been more similar to the 4k then that would show that is the direction, but it isn't.
Rumour is there will be one last 4k update but that's all it is.
Looks just like the the 2k release all over again, introduce a newer smaller model with different O.S. then discontinue the 3k.
Not to say that the 2500 would take the place as the flagship, but it has clearly been designed to take the O.S. in a specific direction while having enough of a feature set to hold the MPC's postion while they develope or complete a 4k replacement (or maybe the next level 4k).
Just feel it's safer to shop for what a box can do not what they say it will eventually be able to do.
I'm just glad I am in a functional state where I can obsserve Akai and move accordingly.
If the 4k gets a boost cool, if not the 2500 is there.

By hydroslanger Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:44 pm
i've asked around at a couple of shops and they said they will be getting the 4000 in black around march/april which would suggest an update.

By hyraglific Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:54 pm
i quite like the size, i like that it is landscape when working on it rather than square or portrait, and its also fairly thin, which is handy if you want to carry it around in the akai bag. i use the bag loads because im always taking it to friends and other studios.

D
By DokBrown Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:30 pm
I had a question about naming on the 2500. I am spoiled b/c I also have a roland MV. I am leaning towards a MPC live b/c the touchscreen will make naming easy. I was wondering do the numeric keys on the 2500 only do numbers.