Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By cakeo Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:41 am
help please!!!!! ok well iv got a mpc 2500 and im lovin it,, and THANKZ to this site i found out you can use a TEAC LAPTOP CD-RW / DVD-ROM MODEL - DW-224E great !! so i got from ebay but the only 1 i could get from uk was used so i got anywayz, right now here iz my problem when i plug the teac in to the mpc all the lights come on and the cd start spining, but i can not find it in the mpc there IZ NO root to it AT ALL, same thing weEN i go to direct recored, help help help do you think the cd drive is had it ???? or do i have to do somthink to the mpc to make it work ????? 8) :lol:

By Manilla Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:13 am
the drive is fine. u brought the wrong model u wanted the dw 224E-C. the 224e defaults as master. am i right in saying that u cant see your hard drive when the cd is installed? this is because the HD is the master on the ide chain and since the cd wants to be master it cancels out the HD and also renders the cd unusable.

i did the same thing and brought the 224E. apparently there is a way of soldering 2 pins together inside the drive to render it to slave. im working on it this tonight.
By cakeo Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:24 am
O YES SO MY CD WORK'S THANKZ MAN I WAS JUST ABOUT TO SMASH IT UP COZ IM SO PISSED, OK IM PRETTY GOOD WITH THE SOLDER, IS THERE A TUTORIAL OR PDF SHOWING HOW THIS IS DONE AND WHAT POINTS TO SOLDER ???? O AND THANKZ 4 THE REPLY AND YOUR HELP :P MATE,,

By Manilla Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:30 am
pin47 + pin45 will force a slave. dont blame me if any thing **** up thou. dunno about tutorials
By cakeo Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:40 am
NICE 1, IF I WORK IT OUT ILL MAIL YOU, THANKZ THO :idea:

By Manilla Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:43 am
The fixed bay must be an IDE slave.

This is freaking easy. Grab some cellophane tape and cut a very thin strip that is only wide enough to completely cover pin 47 of the JAE50 connector. The JAE50 connector is the only connector on the back of the drive. It's freaking impossible to miss.

Pin 47 is the optical drive's IDE cable select pin and if holding the drive in one's hand top-side up facing the back of the drive, pin 47 is the second pin on the left side of the top row of pins in the JAE50 connector. Simply tape pin 47 and that pin only. Be carefull NOT to accidentally cover the adjacent pins 45 and 49. This will prevent the optical drive from seeing the laptop's wonky IDE cable, and it works because if the optical drive's cable select pin is not grounded then the optical drive becomes an IDE slave.
By cakeo Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:57 am
How do u put cellotape on such a little thing dude! Is ur 1 working with the cellotape on?? Is it so when you hold it in ur hand and look from the front u can see the cd tray is facing the normal way and u can see the see thorough part where the cd spins at the top and underneth is the sticker with the serial number and stuff so basicly the right way up but looking at it from behind

By Manilla Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:06 pm
havent tried it yet im at work
By cakeo Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:11 pm
I will let you try it first coz u know how to do it! I will mail you later im gonna try and take a picture of it with a arrow pointing to the pin i think it is but thanks for everything man!!!!

By Manilla Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:18 pm
yeah do that. spose you could just pick the pin out of the socket and brock it off. but as i say this is theory. whats your face plate like on the front off the drive? will it fit back in the mp when u put the face plate back on

By mrelbo Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:23 pm
Man I guess i should of posted this question in this forum instead of 2500.. nice to know there is still hope.

By mrelbo Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:43 pm
actually it didn't work for me... unless i did something wrong

By Manilla Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:46 pm
fookin hell it works. big break throu here guys. if u snap the pin mentioned above off (pin 47) it works fine. probably meaning any dvd/cd combo drive will work in the sampler.

By mrelbo Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:57 pm
just to make sure.. pin 47 is the second from the left at the very top with the drive facing up, correct?

By Manilla Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:03 pm
the drive facing up as in the right way round but lookin at the connector at the back.

i just got a small watch makers screw driver and picked the pin away from the connector and wobbled it about until it came off