Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By dabmeister Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:38 am
Wow! You've got an impressive discography there John. Nice to have you join in with the fam here. :D
Last edited by dabmeister on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By J_Mayer Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:57 am
That's true, I do have one thing most people don't, but it's not so much $$$ as the justification to get my hands on anything I can dream of in support of putting the next album together. It's a lucky place to be in.

Anybody else listen to the top 20 and say to themselves "I have those sounds!!" It's easy as pie and hard as a Rubik's Cube all at the same time.
By Captain Hook Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:07 am
[quote="JAnybody else listen to the top 20 and say to themselves "I have those sounds!!" It's easy as pie and hard as a Rubik's Cube all at the same time.[/quote]

Very true
By lexicon Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:50 am
Welcome to the boards. 8)

For the records, a 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube isn't that complicated. Well, it is... maybe I've just solved it too many damn times. My 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 are another story though. :x
By J_Mayer Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:30 am
The Rubik's 3x3x3 is somewhat simpler, but I find the "spin" function has a special something that was lost on the 4x and 5x.
You can read all about it in the Rubik's comparison thread.
:)
By lexicon Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:00 am
Ohh a Rubik's thread, I'll have to check that out. I'm obsessed with these cubes.
By xibalba1875 Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:34 pm
J_Mayer wrote:And by the way, has anyone here ever thought of building a dedicated rack just for the output of the MPC? I'm thinking about getting a 4U rack space and finding two great preamps/compressors so that the drums always have a signature sound... It would be cool to have the MPC perched up on top of one or two mastering-quality units...
Overkill, maybe...

I have dedicated inputs but never though about dedicated outputs. I usually add all my effects as im sampling into my MPC instead of during the final mix/when i record into logic. I use to play guitar (or tried to :lol:) and i think it stems from when i had a lot of efx pedals.
By thedvs01 Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:16 am
J_Mayer wrote:Anybody else listen to the top 20 and say to themselves "I have those sounds!!" It's easy as pie and hard as a Rubik's Cube all at the same time.

very well put

I have a question though, and that is

what are you mainly using for your sampling sources? I'm not immediately inclined to think of you as the crate digger type, but maybe I'm way off base
By Askia Shaheed Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:31 am
J_Mayer wrote:...*MPC5000 gripes: I've read a ton of complaints about the 5000, but in general it's a great machine. They ALL are. To anybody trying to figure out which one to buy, remember that they all go "chick-chick-boom" with either sounds you recorded yourself or sounds that someone else recorded. I'm using the MPC in a professional setting, but admittedly rather lightly in terms of using every feature. So my thoughts are always going to reflect that.

The biggest problem with the 5000 is the interface on the TRIM feature. It's WAY too numeric for me, and the constant shifting of the "tens place" as a poor man's ZOOM + and ZOOM - feature is tough to work with, especially when hitting the WINDOW button returns your sample change intervals to 1. It's a lot of shift-clicking.

THE JJ OS 2 on the MPC 1000 has this LICKED, with a fluid jog wheel and zoom features that make all the sense in the world. I was cutting samples up faster than i believe I ever could on a DAW.

The jog wheel on the MPC 5000 is pretty bad. (Sorry AKAI people.) It feels hollow, and actually fails to deliver on the basic fundamental principles of wheel-iness. Go into the effects mixer and you'll go mad trying to set each pad to "1". It's an average of about 2-3 clicks for every one increment change. That's tough to get over....

...I'm excited to trade/share ideas on this board and I'm looking forward to getting super knowledgeable on the MPC...

John

Welcome to the forum John (the same John in the videos with Kanye West on You Tube?)

I completely agree what you wrote about the 5Ks shortcomings. The JJ OS way of zooming in/out on samples as well as chopping is far superior. Roland MV/Fantom Gs way of adding slice/chop points to a sample is just as good or better.

The 5Ks jog wheel is really not that great. Many of us agree that Akai should have kept the jog wheel design of the MPC 2000.

Again welcome. I look forward to hearing about your experiences with the 5K and music production gear in general.
By Little Pictures Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:53 pm
long time lurker here too..

John, you say you've been using MPCs for a while. That's really interesting, because your singles are often sort of.. Well they're the opposite of an MPC. They're sort of adult contemporary blues music! I don't mean that in a condescending way, but rather I'm really interested to hear how exactly you use an MPC. Do you cut up samples with it? Do you use it as a drum machine writing tool?

Also, it's really interesting to read the response here to having you around. I mean, could you imagine what it would be like if you went over to the Fender forums and started posting? It'd be a frenzy! I'd say you've got THE forum with the least familiarity with your stuff here. Of course I might be wrong..
By eightzero Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:39 pm
John-

How did you get interested in using MPCs, and are you planning on incorporating it with your future releases?

-eight
By tonyscarbones Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:20 am
john mayer is the illest

anyway, thats all i use is mpc 1000 with jjos

and i tried out all the mpcs before

jjos got the best shit

although i think jj os in the 2500 does the same thing