Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By ramal38 Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:24 am
jerrybarnesbass wrote:Thanx distortedtekno!
That was mixed by Mallory Earl (RIP) on 2 inch to 1/4 inch 2track........
Its funny, we played the instruments live (fast).....but even then ,it took forever to do the beat.......
i had to program all the different patterns( step mode), then trigger them in real time to tape...Katreese would sing and play with me on the drum pass as i triggered the next patterns....then we overdubbed the rest........
Fun times!!!!!
Jerry
big fan mr jerrybarnesbass luv that snare in suga free too its poppin lol.....peace
By MPZ60 Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:37 pm
Welcome to the forums.. Nice Tim and Eric cameo the other week .. And remember ..Your MPC is a wonderland.... :D
By DJ Finyl Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 pm
Welcome to the forums john. I always wondered why you never got a feature credit on common's "go". You pretty much all over it. lol.
By LunaticBastard Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:33 am
J_Mayer wrote:And by the way, has anyone here ever thought of building a dedicated rack just for the output of the MPC? I'm thinking about getting a 4U rack space and finding two great preamps/compressors so that the drums always have a signature sound... It would be cool to have the MPC perched up on top of one or two mastering-quality units...
Overkill, maybe...

i have a dedicated rack with mine. i run through a tube pre and a comp. then to my board. and of all the gear i have this is the only piece that gets its own rack. except my mic anyway.
welcome to the boards
By fatkyle Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:44 pm
"this ain't hip hop no more son. it's bigger than that.
this ain't ghetto no more black, it's bigger than black..."
By konc3pt Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:56 am
J_Mayer wrote:(I'll have a pic of me in front of the MPC5000 up soon so as to squelch any identity issues)
John

hmmm...
By peter_neo Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:58 am
Here's some proof:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ujWj4QJYo5I/S ... 00-h/3.jpg

Paparazzi are such douchebags.....

Anyhow. Have you considered trying Ableton Live? It sounds absolutely perfect for your needs.
Chopping samples? The newest version of Live has a feature called Drum Racks and it's an absolute joy to use. Just record your instrument, use the mouse to highlight where you want the cuts to be, and select slice to midi. This will automatically assign each slice to an individual pad with a specific midi note. Then using a midi controller (MPC, etc.), you can trigger the notes.
Realistic drums? There are plenty of VSTs that are absolutely amazing. BFD, Superior 2.0, Addictive Drums, etc. are all great drum modules that are pretty damn deceiving when used properly.

Here's the link:
http://www.ableton.com/live-7-whats-new
- A preview video of the drum racks is located towards the bottom.

BTW you mentioned Thom Yorke.....
Guess what they use live. Check the pic with the Macbook Pros.
http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... iohead&L=1

There is nothing like sitting down in front of a MPC and just focusing on the music though. No email, youtube, IMs, and crap to distract you. It just comes down to personal preference.

My 2 Cents. Huge fan by the way. I'm sure you read this type of comment all the time from those AWESOME Youtubers that just do covers, but you inspired me to pick up a guitar and sing and all that jazz. Before that, I was a major hip hop head just doing good ole beats and rhymes. I remember trying to chop up the drums and horns for Clarity as one of my first attempts at a beat. Good times.
By Clint Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:20 am
Look forward to some interesting insight. Be good to know if any of the hip-hop heavyweights peep this site on the sly too.
By DjPound79 Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:53 pm
wow....thee john mayer.

You seem very knowledgeable about MPC's.
I had no idea. Im a huge fan, and i hope to see you blog again.

Peace
By J_Mayer Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:08 am
Who knew the 2500 could be used as a paprazzi shield?

After spending lots of time on the 1000jj, 2500jj and 5000, the answer for me is clear: the 2500 with the JJ OS. The only thing I miss from the 5000 is the ability to lay multiple samples on one pad. I think that's a really cool feature and it opens the MPC up to some great opportunities for melodic samples.

I really feel as if (pending a real firmware overhaul on the 5000) the 2500 is the most "balanced" mpc out there right now. That's coming from a guy who doesn't use the synth, by the way. I'm sure to some it makes the 5000 unbeatable.

I wish I didn't have to buy JJOS v1 just to upgrade to v2. That's sort of a jip.

Best thing about the JJOS is the ability to take EVERYTHING you've worked on in a day and dump it into a folder that you can title the day's date. That's a massive help.

There's my verdict.

Peep that, dope ones.
(I had to get some lingo in.)

JM