Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By dtaa pla muk Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:14 pm
MULTITIMBRALITY means being able to simultaneously receive multiple midi channels and play back multiple modules accordingly. in the case of the MPC, "modules" may either refer to PGMs or outgoing MIDI channels routed to VSTis or sound modules.

------------------

FULLY MULTITIMBRAL MPCs
* can receive/record multiple MIDI channels
* multiple incoming MIDI channels can play multiple programs simultaneously

MPC2000xl
MPC4000
MPC1000 (jjos2xl)
MPC2500 (jjos2xl)
MPC5000

-------------------

MIDI-MULTITIMBRAL MPCs:

* can receive/record multiple MIDI channels
* can only operate 1 pgm at a time, so "modules" in this case means external MIDI-controlled devices
* all "Fully Multitimbral" MPCs are MIDI-multitimbral as well.

MPC2000
MPC60 (v3)
MPC3000

-------------------
NON-MULTITIMBRAL MPCs
* can only receive MIDI on the active track

MPC1000 (akai os)
MPC2500 (akai os)
MPC500

---------------------
Last edited by dtaa pla muk on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
By dtaa pla muk Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm
nosir, not out of the factory. neither is the 500 or 2500.
multitimbral means that it can receive multiple midi channels to different tracks simultaneously (AND send multiple midi channels simultaneously, which yes all MPCs can do).
By dtaa pla muk Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:25 pm
man, i have it set up sooo nice with reaper now
all i have to do is hit a number button on my computer keyboard
and it routes the all the midi from my controllers to that midi input of my mpc, which then routes it to the vstis on different channels
also when i hit a number button the corresponding vsti pops up front and center with all its controls mapped out for me...
slickest workflow i've ever seen, combined with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKPCskI76iQ
By faze1 Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:18 am
lol Damn Nym
By Ocular Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:16 am
It would appear that the 5000 is multitimbral, as there is a section in it's manual explaining how to set it up as a multitimbral sound source. No idea about the 60/II or 3000. There is no mention of multitimbral functions in either of those manuals.
By dabmeister Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:56 am
Ocular wrote:It would appear that the 5000 is multitimbral, as there is a section in it's manual explaining how to set it up as a multitimbral sound source. No idea about the 60/II or 3000. There is no mention of multitimbral functions in either of those manuals.

Here's a little tidbit about the S5k as well as the S6k samplers. Both lead to the development of the 4k & the Z series samplers if I'm not mistaken.

As a matter of fact, either the S5k or S6k samplers or maybe even both have the ability to be expanded to 128 note polyphony if my memory serves me correctly.

I wonder why this technology wasn't carried over to the mpc line. :?
By dabmeister Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:20 am
Ocular wrote:No idea about the 60/II or 3000. There is no mention of multitimbral functions in either of those manuals.

Most likely those models were made before the industry ventured into doing multitimbral capable products.

Ever hear mention of kats getting midi error messages when they try complex rhythmic patterns on one of those early models?
By Sovereign Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:38 pm
Not that it matters since people have funny thoughts or understanding of Multitimbral but the old MPC's with the Linn signature could record on all 16 channels at once.
It would spread them out on the first 16 tracks of a sequence
Track 1 = Midi ch1
Track 2 = Midi ch 2
and so on.
By dtaa pla muk Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:30 pm
so confirm: these mpcs are also multitimbral:

2000xl

?

and for anyone confused about what multitimbrality is, Sovereign just put it quite nicely
being able to record/trigger multiple channels of midi on different tracks at the same time.