Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Bighare Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:31 am
konc3pt wrote:... vga expansion is standard on 8800 and so is the cd-r burner, while it's optional on 8000

That drive is actually a DVD drive on the mv8800 ... while you can only burn cd's you can read dvd's so its useful as can copy a stack of stuff onto the dvd and then access it on the mv

YouTube Vid showing MV DVD use
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpoJlPvDYXE
By mr_debauch Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:43 am
LZ Roberts wrote:Have you MV fan boys seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzeOf5GR ... re=related

Seems like even the MV still needs rescuing by Roger Linn.
I was totally unaware of the ASQ10. Looks like a really handy bit of kit.

Should have kept my mouth shut, now everyone will want one & the ebay bids will go mental.

just get an mpc60, these days they will likely be the same price but you get a bonus sampler thrown in there too.
By glide Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:46 am
Here's the deal EVERY MPC that has been made since the company did the big re-up has had bad pads.
When they added their variable sensitivity they killed the response of the MPC pads.
The 4k will immediately show you this. (improvement #1) pads have proper response.
The small physical pads work but don't feel as functional as the full size pads
The 4k will immediately show you this. (improvement #2) even the 2500 and 5k pads feel better
The 1k is actually too compact and lacking physical controls.
The 4k will immediately show you this. (improvement #3) decated buttons and easy screen switching.
The JJ OS has taken the 1k to great heights but the OS feels forced in the placement of the functions.
The 4k will immediately show you this. (improvement #4) the main screen has a lot of info and control that is well placed. The sample edit screen with the dual view is nice. The info on the various screens has a consistent flow and doesn't feel like you just put something where you could fit it.
JJ added INST PGM and a lot of features that the 1k CPU and polyphony just can't deal with.
The 4k will immediately show you this. (improvement #5) you will get a major ligt in the CPU ability tio carry out functions, the sequencer won't glinch and you won't drop notes because you are 28 or higher.
The 1k screen color and size are horrible, changing it to blue did help the view but it was still cramped.
The 4k will immediately show you this. (improvement #6) the screen on the 4k has a lot of well managed real estate per screen.
Nothing JJ could do to improve the lack of connectivity.
The 4k will immediately show you this. (improvement #7) NO MPC should have less than 2 MIDI IN and 4 MIDI out. That's where it started and should have always remained.
JJ has had problems adding control features and removing control features and the limited CC of the 1k structure.
The 4k will immediately show you this. (improvement #8) Modulation, Modulation and more Modulation on the 4k (once you understand it). True Sys-Ex and straight forward Q-Links and Q-FX.

I was going to go with larger screen, dedicated buttons, far superior sampler, superior sound and converters but this´^^ sums it up quite well.. IMO the 4k is the best MPC out there!! would´t mind 1k for its portability but that´s about it..
By moyphee Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:21 am

Should have kept my mouth shut, now everyone will want one & the ebay bids will go mental.

Rookies have timing issue and those that approach the MV as an MPC have those problems. The MPC until the 4000 only had 96PPQN. What viewed as tight timing is really a lack of resolution.

He's trying to get the"sweet MPC sound" from a sequencer. This guy doesn't have a grip on shuffle or quantizing on the MV.
By LZ Roberts Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:17 am
moyphee wrote:

Rookies have timing issue and those that approach the MV as an MPC have those problems. The MPC until the 4000 only had 96PPQN. What viewed as tight timing is really a lack of resolution.

He's trying to get the"sweet MPC sound" from a sequencer. This guy doesn't have a grip on shuffle or quantizing on the MV.

Well if that is the case, then it means that the guy in the video is a total knob.... ???

Yup, I can believe that.

Looking at the MV it does seem awesome. The only things that would put me off is that the Styling & layout is abysmal, its got a fan (god I hate fan noise) and its lack of outputs. Apart from that it does seem fantastic.

You'd think that Roland, after spending so much on development, that they would employ a proper designer to make it look right. But lately, they do seem to make a lot of their gear, that would otherwise be excellent, look cheap and nasty somehow.
By picalo32 Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:39 pm
Everybody i talk to about the Mv complains about the timing, i never, never, Ever experienced any timing issues, heck i don't even use the timing have the time (no pun intended). Very underrated Machine :?
By mr_debauch Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:06 am
**** wrote:i just don´t like the clunky workflow, that´s all.

you know what? I will agree with this simply because of one button that I wish worked differently. The exit button... while it is cool and useful I would also (or prefer) a main screen button.

other then that the workflow is the same speed once you know where everything is and it's became second nature like the mpc.

the timing is a different system, the mv has more options then classic mpc models, but works once you figured out what settings work best for what. for example for drums the settings may be different then for instruments like keys etc.
By Bighare Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:14 am
LZ Roberts wrote:Looking at the MV it does seem awesome. The only things that would put me off is that the Styling & layout is abysmal...

Not going to disagree Image … but I kinda like it … and it works for me
LZ Roberts wrote:... its got a fan (god I hate fan noise)...

Me too… but I replaced my fan with a silent running one… [My go at fan replacement]
LZ Roberts wrote:.. and its lack of outputs....

I was lucky, I got hold of the expansion module and a DIF-AT24 for 8 more outs (digital in/out and midi) and to keep things digital… but yea.. they are going for stupid money now and they only come up when someone splits one out to make more on their own sale.
LZ Roberts wrote:Apart from that it does seem fantastic.
By Ill-Green Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:44 pm
I bought mine brand new and the first thing I noticed when I plugged it in was that the fan is very quiet. Maybe Roland made last adjustments before the discontinue, but my fan is almost silent. And because its in a metal casing, the cold of the metal keeps the components cool. I could feel the cold air shoot out from the back of the MV as if there was an air conditioner there and I don't have an A.C. in my studio.

My favorite feature on the MV has to be the ability to bang out drums in one sequence, then seperate the kit to seperate MIDI tracks with a push of a button.
By mr_debauch Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:34 pm
do you guys use the pattern mode thing? that is one area I never thought of really diving into because I already did songs the regular way...
By MoreBuck$ Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:29 pm
Ill-Green wrote:I bought mine brand new and the first thing I noticed when I plugged it in was that the fan is very quiet. Maybe Roland made last adjustments before the discontinue, but my fan is almost silent. And because its in a metal casing, the cold of the metal keeps the components cool. I could feel the cold air shoot out from the back of the MV as if there was an air conditioner there and I don't have an A.C. in my studio.

My favorite feature on the MV has to be the ability to bang out drums in one sequence, then seperate the kit to seperate MIDI tracks with a push of a button.

That's cool but can do that on my 4k if i want.