Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By vukodlak Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:09 pm
I'm using an MPC 2500 SE for 2 years now. This is my first and so far the only one MPC. For most part I'm satisfied with it. When it comes to filters ,the low pass is working pretty fine for me, but I'm not very happy with the high pass. It's almost impossible for me to filter the bass or the kick out.

Some of you guys have worked with different mpc's for sure. What dou you think about the filters on the mpc 2500 and what would you say ,what mpc has the best filters?
By Clint Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:24 pm
vukodlak wrote:what mpc has the best filters?

MPC4000.

SimonInAustralia wrote:OFF
2-POLE BP
1-POLE HP+
LO<>HI
WIDE NOTCH
BI-PEAK
2-POLE LP
2-POLE BP+
2-POLE HP
LO<>BAND
BI-NOTCH
PHASER 1
2-POLE LP+
4-POLE BP
2-POLE HP+
BAND<>HI
PEAK 1
PHASER 2
4-POLE LP
4-POLE BP+
4-POLE HP
NOTCH 1
PEAK 2
BI-PHASE
4-POLE LP+
6-POLE
4-POLE HP+
NOTCH 2
PEAK 3
VOWELISER
6-POLE LP
1-POLE HP
6-POLE HP
NOTCH 3
WIDE PEAK
TRIPLE
By Coz Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:28 pm
The filters on the 2500 are shite.

The 4K filters are 1000% better. The 5K apparently also has decent filters.
By MaZe Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:40 pm
Clint wrote:
vukodlak wrote:what mpc has the best filters?

MPC4000.

Thirded.

It does depend on your workflow though. If you are using a DAW extensively already, you may have plugins that you are happy with as well. If you like to do more in the box then there is nothing at all, hardware mpc wise, period, messing with the 4K when it comes to filters/efx/flexibility/options/etc. inside the box.

I have the MPC2500 SE as well and the filters are really laughable especially compared to the breadth of the filters in the 4K, which I also own. The 2500 with JJOS is a fantastic machine when paired with a DAW that hosts filters/eqs though.
By vukodlak Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:38 pm
Thank you all for your replies!

So far I'm still working only on the mpc 2500 SE. I didn't extend it with JJ OS or anything else yet. So I do all of my work in the box and I would really like to keep it that way, it just feels right for me.

Like said I've been doing this for 2 years now only, so I was quiet happy just to learn the things and "get there". Now that I 'm able to really do something with it, I naturally want more out of it. So basicly I was thinking about getting a different MPC , but before I do that I 'll definitely try out with the JJ OS first.

Any specific DAW that works really good with the mpc 2500 (with JJ OS)?
By MaZe Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:46 pm
vukodlak wrote:Thank you all for your replies!

So far I'm still working only on the mpc 2500 SE. I didn't extend it with JJ OS or anything else yet. So I do all of my work in the box and I would really like to keep it that way, it just feels right for me.

Like said I've been doing this for 2 years now only, so I was quiet happy just to learn the things and "get there". Now that I 'm able to really do something with it, I naturally want more out of it. So basicly I was thinking about getting a different MPC , but before I do that I 'll definitely try out with the JJ OS first.

You lasted that long on the Akai OS? CONGRATS! Now treat yourself to JJOSXL or at least try out the free OSXL before you buy it. Also, read the manual on it thoroughly. It is MUCH more powerful than the Akai OS. More than night and day.

Any reputable DAW is a good DAW really. I have not used it myself but I hear a ton about Reaper. I use Logic. Before you buy a new MPC, since you are already happy with the 2500, get JJOS, get a DAW, and if you don't have one, a good audio interface for your computer. There is really nothing that you can't do with that setup. If after that you feel like you want to do more in the box, then you can look at a 4K and you really wouldnt have wasted time or money because JJOS is a lot like the 4K's OS and you will need a DAW and interface for your 4K anyway.
By crossings Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:56 pm
i like JJOS1 because while the filters aren't a huge improvement [over the akai OS], i can at least link up 2 filters simultaneously to cut out any extreme frequencies if needed.
By vukodlak Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:47 pm
MaZe wrote:
vukodlak wrote:Thank you all for your replies!

You lasted that long on the Akai OS? CONGRATS! Now treat yourself to JJOSXL or at least try out the free OSXL before you buy it. Also, read the manual on it thoroughly. It is MUCH more powerful than the Akai OS. More than night and day.

Any reputable DAW is a good DAW really. I have not used it myself but I hear a ton about Reaper. I use Logic. Before you buy a new MPC, since you are already happy with the 2500, get JJOS, get a DAW, and if you don't have one, a good audio interface for your computer. There is really nothing that you can't do with that setup. If after that you feel like you want to do more in the box, then you can look at a 4K and you really wouldnt have wasted time or money because JJOS is a lot like the 4K's OS and you will need a DAW and interface for your 4K anyway.

Thank you very much sir! Sounds reasonable to me.
Yeah, it was long enough now! :) I'll definitely get the JJ OS and would probably go for LOGIC myself, since I know at least a little bit about it.

What about the filters in the MPC 3000? I was told that those were really good as well.
By MaZe Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:56 pm
Filter, no "s". A great one though.

I'm hesitant to suggest a 3K to anyone, although I own one, that is coming from a more modern MPC. It is a great machine and great sounding machine but it is a very big step back in time. Coming from a 2500, even with the akai OS, you are going to miss a ton of features. IMO, the 3K shines the most in a solid hardware setup that features more hardware synths, samplers, outboard gear, etc.

Do remember that if you are looking for analog filters, over DAW filters and the 2500 filters, you can buy a hardware filter or another hardware sampler with a good filter. For example, you can get an s3000 (same sampling engine as an MPC 3000) or an ASR rack, an MFC 42 dedicated filter unit, an s950, an SP303, etc. You have a lot of options.

You really don't need another sequencer, you already have a good one. The main reason I, and several others in this thread suggested the 4K is because if you are looking for the MPC with the best filters, theres your answer as it combines MPC goodness with the inside of a full dedicated advanced sampler with the most filters. Hell, if you want the 4Ks filters without the 4K, you can buy a z4/z8. 2500 SE + JJOSXL + z4/z8 + DAW = Amazing.

Or, if you have the extra loot and you are looking for another sequencer and an all in one piece, get the 4K and you'll be set for life. You have a ton of options.
By vukodlak Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:35 pm
All right , thanks again! A lot of options...I will think about it for a while.
I haven't seen any of z4/z8 for a while though. Hard to find nowdays?
By MaZe Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:41 pm
vukodlak wrote:All right , thanks again! A lot of options...I will think about it for a while.
I haven't seen any of z4/z8 for a while though. Hard to find nowdays?

Yeah they are tough to find nowadays. They pop up on ebay and craigslist every now and then. Depending on the price though, you might end up just getting a 4K used since there seems to be some kind of rush off to unload 4Ks at a cheap price right now. I'd have to assume its because more and more people are going completely digital and in the pc/mac. Nothing against that but it is a damn shame to see 4Ks going for 1K prices....
By MaZe Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:02 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:
MaZe wrote:it is a damn shame to see 4Ks going for 1K prices....

$500-1000.

Saw one sell for $450.

And that's SUB 1K prices. I'm seeing those go for $500 or better WITHOUT JJOS. At $500 you are talking about investing AT LEAST another $123 to get JJOS and then you'll probably need a pad upgrade too. So that's about $700 for a 1K maxed out. Or, you can get a 4K for a median price of about $600. I personally don't get it. I guess its because there are a lot more YouTube videos of people using the 1K and not many at all of the 4K.

I already have a 4K but man, if one came my way for $450, it'd be really hard to not get another.
By mr_debauch Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:06 pm
I think it would have been cool if the echo send return that the 60 had would have been added to other models... that is damn awesome in situations like this.
By Clint Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 pm
Regardless of the price drop, the MPC4000 is/will be a classic MPC/hardware sampler in years to come. Hell I might even pick up a couple more just to consolidate. This shit goes around in cycles, buy low - sell high just like any other volatile commodity.

Filters are cool, but nothing beats a real analogue filter. I copped the Akai MFC-42, but there are plenty of alternatives viewtopic.php?f=11&t=161228