Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By seoulsampler Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:22 am
Dear Forum Fellow's...
Probably discussed over many time's but:

i want to make Hiphop/D&B/Trap/Dubstep

Go for an 4K or the 5K?

Thanks anyway!

Cheers
S.S. :-D
By Menco Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:41 am
Tell us more about your workflow and what you already have.

Do you want to use it as a standalone, or combined with a synth or in combination with software? Are you simply looking for a sampler/ sequencer combo, or do you want that all in one box solution?
By MPC-Tutor Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:48 am
The style of music you make isn't really relevant you can make any style of music you wish on any MPC and any other audio gear.

IMO the 5000 is an awful MPC, so if you want one of the big powerhouse flagships, go for the 4000. Bigger learning curve though compared to the other MPCs, but can do things no other MPC can.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I still believe a 1000 running JJOSXL and the newer style pads is a pretty decent investment.
By seoulsampler Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:17 am
thanks for the replays allready!!!!!!

- Yes as a standalone (i work 9 hours a day behind a computer, so it would be nice to work with hardware again.
(no other software, and keep everything inside the mpc...maybe sounds from digital samplepacks, or sample from my records with a turntable..
- I used to have a 2500 for s short while...but what makes the 5000 "awfull"?
- What makes the 4000 so "great" vs the 5000?

thanks again!
By MPC-Tutor Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:22 am
seoulsampler wrote:I used to have a 2500 for s short while...but what makes the 5000 "awfull"?

There's an entire 5000 forum filled with topics about the problems people have with the 5000. Take some time to read through.

Beyond that, you are being pretty vague about your needs. It's clear you want a standalone hardware unit, but why specifically the 4000 or the 5000? You say you've used a 2500 - why not use that then? Very capable machine when running JJOS-XL.
By Menco Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 am
For trap and dubstep you will need a synth or something with synthesizer capabilities. MPC 5000 comes with a built in synth. But what like Tutor said, it's not the most stable machine out there.

MPC 4000 and both of the JJOS machines with the JJOS-XL will allow you to create that type of sounds too.
By seoulsampler Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:51 am
i sold my 2500 (in 2006)...regret is most def!
so after 6 years workign with Able, i would like to go back to hardware.

The reason i mention an 4000 is, i can buy one relatively cheap, 5000 are around 900 euro's in holland

thanks fro gettign back!!!!!
By Menco Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:28 am
Try the 4000. Since you already have some experience with making music the learning curve won't be that steep.

If the 4000 isn't anything to your liking after using it for a couple of months you can still sale it for a decent price. The prices for a used 4000 have been quite stable in the Netherlands last couple of years.
By ntalec Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:02 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I know I sound like a broken record, but I still believe a 1000 running JJOSXL and the newer style pads is a pretty decent investment.

Have to agree with Tutor. :nod:
1 2500 and 2 1ks all with JJ but the 1k has been far more useful than the 2500.
Greatly because my 2500 purchased new from AMS when they were first released is one of the ones with those ghost pads. :x

My real dislike for the 1k w/ JJ is just the polyphony, but as far as for sampling, creating synths etc it's a great tool with a decent footprint.

Just remember if control is a goal the 5k synth gets tiresome pretty quick.

With the 4k you will either love or hate the Mod Matrix.
By sirparksalot Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:44 am
I have both the 4000 and 5000 right now, so let me tell you my experience.

I have used the 4000 everyday for almost 3 years. It is by far my favorite machine, but it DOES have problems. Not with build or workflow, but my problems have come from system crashes, sequences randomly losing all sequenced patterns after putting them into song mode and then going back to the main sequence view, and also just plain old system freezes. Most users don't seem to experience this, so I wonder if age is catching up to my 4000....it's been used pretty heavily and is pretty beat up. I do try to maintain and take care of it, though....so I'm not sure.

With that said, I would rather use the 4000 over any other MPC....and I have owned the 1000, 2000xl, 2500, and currently own the 3000, 4000, and 5000.

Now the 5000....
I actually think that it is built pretty well. It's again not the actual machine that is a problem, with the 5000 it's the OS. Chopping is slow and sluggish, going through menus is sluggish. Sometimes it freezes, but I haven't experienced it much. The synth is too much of a pain to tune and program to be too useful, but you can get some pretty good bass sounds out of it. It just seems unfinished.....almost like one more update would really make it a good MPC....but we don't have one more update, therefore I don't think it's a very good machine. Compared to the 4000, it's a no brainer. 4000 all day. The 5000 is being sold this week.
By Lampdog Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:20 am
sirparksalot wrote:......Most users don't seem to experience this.....

Yeah, I've never had those problems you listed. I'm sure we have different ways of working but I would think as much as I've used my 4k I should have ran into problems like that. I haven't, fortunately, knock on wood grain.
By seoulsampler Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:41 am
Guy's! thanks a LOT!! thank you!

Sir Parks A Lot, thanks too for sharing your experience! (perfect a 4k and 5k owner!)

Cheers from Netherlandssss
By MPCTNT Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:58 am
sirparksalot wrote: The 5000 is being sold this week.

GL with the sale....

I loved my 5k but sold mine and just shipped it to buyer yesterday. No turning back now. I had no probs with my 4k nor 5k, ever, but I guess I was just lucky, to hear others with issues.

I say he good going either way, but may have to deal with 'age' more so with the 4k, depending no how many owners it had and how it was treated. Look for a 'deal' on either and go with it. The 4k should be much less and give you as much power.

I switched to the dark side and got Studio last week and my 'luckiness' has no issues after using it daily and oushing it over the weekend