Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By LZ Roberts Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:21 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:
LZ Roberts wrote:And the MPC software runs...... on your PC.

And what is the point of your comment, everyone knows MPC Software runs on your PC.

This is what I said...
SimonInAustralia wrote:If you take the VSTs out of the MPC, you are really taking a step back in terms of functionality,

The point is. If you are really precious about VST's, just plug in your PC anyway.

SimonInAustralia wrote:
LZ Roberts wrote:Yes. with really tight DAW integration & the MPC PC software.
The MPC would be a super controller & audio interface, but also an instrument with onboard FX & Sequencer. Is that a bad thing to wish for?

Not necessarily, I just think the manufacturer, and the target market, has moved on from standalone sequencer/sampler hardware, and want it all in the box.

This is where a lot of us differ with our thinking.

SimonInAustralia wrote:What happens to your MPC composition, that you have used VST instruments and effects in, when you unplug it from the computer?

Frozen tracks.

SimonInAustralia wrote:Or don't you have integrated VST instruments and effects in your new hardware MPC, as they are in MPC Software?

I don't think VSTs are the be all and end all. Can't remember the last time I used a VST. Hardware is much much better. And a lot of ppl think the same way.
By SimonInAustralia Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:35 am
LZ Roberts wrote: The point is. If you are really precious about VST's, just plug in your PC anyway.

Yes, as you can with any hardware MPC.

Then when you unplug it from the PC, you lose access to the VST plugins and effects.

What are the main selling points of the computer integration that MPC Software provides?...
- VST effects and instruments
- use of the computer file system
- tracking into a DAW

...anything else?

What is the tight computer integration that you want with this new MPC?

Do you just want easy file transfer to the MPC, and tracking into the DAW, and are going to forget about VSTs all together?

LZ Roberts wrote:
SimonInAustralia wrote:I just think the manufacturer, and the target market, has moved on from standalone sequencer/sampler hardware, and want it all in the box.

This is where a lot of us differ with our thinking.

It only really matter what Akai thinks, doesn't it?

They seem to have moved away from hardware MPCs, to software, to compete with Maschine.

Isn't that why we have MPC Software and controllers?

Do you think their perception of the market has changed in any way, that the market doesn't want MPC Software/controllers or Maschine?

I can see that some people want a new hardware MPC, I really don't think that true of Akai's target market overall.

LZ Roberts wrote:
SimonInAustralia wrote:What happens to your MPC composition, that you have used VST instruments and effects in, when you unplug it from the computer?

Frozen tracks.

Really not the same thing.

LZ Roberts wrote:
SimonInAustralia wrote:Or don't you have integrated VST instruments and effects in your new hardware MPC, as they are in MPC Software?

I don't think VSTs are the be all and end all. Can't remember the last time I used a VST. Hardware is much much better. And a lot of ppl think the same way.

Yes, I don't use them myself, but I can see that the market now days is all about running everything in the box, using lots of VST instruments and effects, maybe with an external hardware synth or two.

Look at the VST discussion in the MPC Software forum, many rely on VSTs in their MPC compositions, even if you and I do not.
By LZ Roberts Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:19 pm
There is a market out there for hardware, that is not exclusively dependent on plugging into a computer. And that this market is big enough to sustain all kinds of niche products. I came from DAWs like Ableton Live etc to MPC... I'm definitely not going back the other way, and there is a substantial groundswell heading in that direction too.

Look at the buzz around stuff like this lately.

Sod buggering about with mice and arsey PC operating systems that take 15 minutes to fire up, and crossing your fingers that your stuff will be supported on the new PC OS. And its not just me who thinks like that. Computers are becoming much too enslaving, have the PC augment what you do instead of dominate.
Also the MPC is as much an instrument as it is a production centre.

There can be the controller option for those who want it but, there's plenty of room for an MPC6000. Look at the buoyant second hand market for legacy MPCs.
By SimonInAustralia Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:29 pm
Your argument for a new hardware MPC is nothing new, we have been hearing it since Akai decided to go software.

Maybe Akai will agree, and put development time and resources into a new hardware MPC, after clearly moving away from hardware, to support a niche/groundswell market with a hardware MPC at the same time they are still selling and developing MPC software and new controllers.

I doubt they will, or if they do, that they can pull it off.

You think there is plenty of room for this new hardware MPC, but will Akai see there is enough of a market to justify the costs of developing a whole new hardware MPC, the OS for it, with the required computer integration you desire?

I would like it if they do, I use hardware instead of VSTs, but I am objective enough to see that the market has gone software for the convenience, power, and low price.
By ntalec Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:23 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:
ntalec wrote:Ok, MPC60III contact Roger Linn and ask him why he finally stopped drawing computer renditions of a drum machine he realized he could not built from a fiscal point of view.

I am still hopeful we might see it, he is too busy with the Linnstrument at the moment, but has plans to get to the Linndrum II after that is done.

No he realized from the work with Smith that cost wasn't as easy to swallow for what he was trying to do.
Dave Smith has done an excellent job of keeping his products as simple and straightforward as possible.
This allowed him to keep the price point closer to where he wanted it to be.
What Linn was fighting with wanting to take his product to the next level and keep it cost effective.
He tweaked it every way he could but giving people what they were asking for and keeping his price mark just wasn't doable.

He eventually stopped all the computer generated pics and announced the project shutdown.
By Mike Boogie Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:07 pm
I liked the idea of this thread initially before it turned into another pissing contest but nevertheless, I throw my hat in as well...

Let's be a bit more practical... We all are kicking around some fantastic ideas for what WE think would be a killer hardware MPCs but, let's look at some factors then we can talk about what can done.

Price: From a dev standpoint, (I do marketing/sales on my day job) the profit margin of a HW MPCs is little to none. Case in point, the ROI for a Ren sold at MSRP is huge compared to what a "true" MPC would be. Trust me, the Ren costs maybe at best, $150 in parts/assembly/packaging to Akai. Bundled with the software cost of a few bucks per unit of development costs, putting them out there is minimal. So you can see where this is going... I digress.

Dev cost and materials for a True hardware MPC could easily quadruple that. I'm telling you now, Akai ain't going down that road again. Too much risk and I would out-price the bedroom producer (their CORE market right now).

Now to my idea:

Let take an existing platform...MPC 4000, one of the most feature-full MPCs EVER!

1. Add a color mid/high quality screen of the same size or better. (cause bitches LOVE colors) with realtime display of audio functions. eg, mixer leveling, editing, etc

2. Add recycle-style threshold chop/stretch/export along with the standard editing features already there.

3. Read/accept/write to ANY audio format including multiple sample rate wav, mp3, ogg, flac, and whatever the hell you could throw at it. Just no more proprietary BS.

4. Native USB 3.0 or better for file management via PC/MAC

5. IRCAM sampling engine like MachFive or Mimik for keygroups programs.

6. Optional DAW software that can be loaded and controlled from the unit for ADVANCED audio/MIDI tracking and editing purposes.

Now, think about the cost to develop something that would be able to handle that WELL (we don't want no bullshit)!!! You are looking at some MASSIVE engineering, research & development cost to make it work, let alone market and package it for the public to consume. Plus the street price has to be right to gain the interest of someone that may be already making bangers on a pirated copy of FLStudio.

You are talking OpenLabs type price tags here. They were hacking together consumer parts and STILL couldn't make a profit. And some of you are talking about hooking your iPads (another useless overpriced idea) to it.

No dice fam. Not gonna happen. Not in this lifetime...
By ntalec Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:00 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:
ntalec wrote:He eventually stopped all the computer generated pics and announced the project shutdown.

That is what you say, but he says he still plans to get to it after the Linnstrument.

Just watch.
By ntalec Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:02 pm
Glad someone understands.
Mike Boogie wrote:I liked the idea of this thread initially before it turned into another pissing contest but nevertheless, I throw my hat in as well...

Let's be a bit more practical... We all are kicking around some fantastic ideas for what WE think would be a killer hardware MPCs but, let's look at some factors then we can talk about what can done.

Price: From a dev standpoint, (I do marketing/sales on my day job) the profit margin of a HW MPCs is little to none. Case in point, the ROI for a Ren sold at MSRP is huge compared to what a "true" MPC would be. Trust me, the Ren costs maybe at best, $150 in parts/assembly/packaging to Akai. Bundled with the software cost of a few bucks per unit of development costs, putting them out there is minimal. So you can see where this is going... I digress.

Dev cost and materials for a True hardware MPC could easily quadruple that. I'm telling you now, Akai ain't going down that road again. Too much risk and I would out-price the bedroom producer (their CORE market right now).

Now to my idea:

Let take an existing platform...MPC 4000, one of the most feature-full MPCs EVER!

1. Add a color mid/high quality screen of the same size or better. (cause bitches LOVE colors) with realtime display of audio functions. eg, mixer leveling, editing, etc

2. Add recycle-style threshold chop/stretch/export along with the standard editing features already there.

3. Read/accept/write to ANY audio format including multiple sample rate wav, mp3, ogg, flac, and whatever the hell you could throw at it. Just no more proprietary BS.

4. Native USB 3.0 or better for file management via PC/MAC

5. IRCAM sampling engine like MachFive or Mimik for keygroups programs.

6. Optional DAW software that can be loaded and controlled from the unit for ADVANCED audio/MIDI tracking and editing purposes.

Now, think about the cost to develop something that would be able to handle that WELL (we don't want no ****)!!! You are looking at some MASSIVE engineering, research & development cost to make it work, let alone market and package it for the public to consume. Plus the street price has to be right to gain the interest of someone that may be already making bangers on a pirated copy of FLStudio.

You are talking OpenLabs type price tags here. They were hacking together consumer parts and STILL couldn't make a profit. And some of you are talking about hooking your iPads (another useless overpriced idea) to it.

No dice fam. Not gonna happen. Not in this lifetime...
By SimonInAustralia Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:35 pm
ntalec wrote:
SimonInAustralia wrote:
ntalec wrote:He eventually stopped all the computer generated pics and announced the project shutdown.

That is what you say, but he says he still plans to get to it after the Linnstrument.

Just watch.

Who knows what will happen.

He said, back in February, that it was still going ahead, when he was finished with the Linnstrument development.

I think I am going to believe what he says, over what you say.

That doesn't mean that it will happen, he might go out of business, he might lose interest, but at this stage, he still plans to do it.
By LZ Roberts Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:10 pm
MPCWeapon1 wrote:What about a limited edition MPC 950 with the s950 sampling engine for the vintage mode fanatics? With the ability to switch from 12 bit to 16 bit.

Now there's a thought. :nod:

It'd be like guitarists wanting a Fender Twin Combo. You can give 'em all the clever digital modelling amps you like, but they'd all to a man poo-poo the lot of them in favour of a Fender Twin with hot valves & big unwieldy transformers.

I'd be xtra-cool if it had those ASQ10 buttons too.