Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By abc Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:16 pm
Read a good idea in another thread on here a long time ago, but they should start doing what JJ is doing with OS but with the other MPs like the 4 and 5 thousand, 2000 whatever. That's where the moneys at, no cost for anything but programmers. And all you gotta do is click a couple times and have basically a different piece of equipment with the same hardware that your comfortable with. They could also just adjust the different programs for different peoples needs and conform around they're processes of working, MPC 2000xlA MPC 2000xlC ect. ect.
By Ill-Green Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:21 pm
abc wrote:Read a good idea in another thread on here a long time ago, but they should start doing what JJ is doing with OS but with the other MPs like the 4 and 5 thousand, 2000 whatever. That's where the moneys at, no cost for anything but programmers. And all you gotta do is click a couple times and have basically a different piece of equipment with the same hardware that your comfortable with. They could also just adjust the different programs for different peoples needs and conform around they're processes of working, MPC 2000xlA MPC 2000xlC ect. ect.

This what we mentioned when the Ren was first announced and the waters were to be tested with the 5k. As you can see, Akai will not deliver. **** them I got monotribe.
By peterpiper Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:36 am
Yes this was done twice in the world of sampler: The JJOS for the MPC (1000/2500) and the nuEdge Typhoon2000 OS for the Yamaha TX16W. In both cases the manufacture of the hardware were not involved AFAIK. The difference it made for the MPC1000 can be compared in youtube vids. The difference for the TX16W is ....I can't find words for it. Day and night. It changed the TX from a user unfriendly OS (really not usable device) to a sampler with a crazy fast workflow and incredible features.

If I think about what would be possible with the hardware of a MPC2000 when some genius programmer would rewrite an OS...........wet dream.
By SimonInAustralia Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:25 am
peterpiper wrote:If I think about what would be possible with the hardware of a MPC2000 when some genius programmer would rewrite an OS...........wet dream.

Possibly not that much compared to a JJOS MPC1000/2500.

I think that the existing OS was said to already be pushing at the limits of the hardware, in terms of code space, or something like that.
By JVC Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:56 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:
peterpiper wrote:If I think about what would be possible with the hardware of a MPC2000 when some genius programmer would rewrite an OS...........wet dream.

Possibly not that much compared to a JJOS MPC1000/2500.

I think that the existing OS was said to already be pushing at the limits of the hardware, in terms of code space, or something like that.

I agree with Simon, I think MPC-2000 classic and XL ended with more than decent OS that the hardware can support (for 2000 classic, data management sucks, but I don't think (theoretical) OS update can improve it)
Of course, one can dream anything he or she want. If I could ask for some change on XL, then I'd ask for location of some of function buttons, like assign the location of "edit" and "truncate" on the different button (in sample edit mode), so that I don't truncate samples accidentally by clicking the same button twice.
And add an option to disable to display waveform in sample edit (sometimes I prefer not to see waveform, as MPC slows down when it is plotting.)

It is amazing that MPC-1000/2500 has become such feature rich machine with JJOS from buggy official OS. MPC-2500 and 1000 wouldn't been popular without JJOS.

Ohh, it is of the topic! I think for those whom waiting for "MPC-6000", should wait for LinnDrum 2 patiently (although most likely I won't be able to afford it...)
By peterpiper Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:04 am
JVC wrote:I agree with Simon, I think MPC-2000 classic and XL ended with more than decent OS that the hardware can support (for 2000 classic, data management sucks, but I don't think (theoretical) OS update can improve it)

:shock: really?
I'm not a programmer but I can't see a reason why some improvements couldn't be made (especially on the 2000 classic)

-data management of the 2000 with folders
-SHIFT+SLIDER function on TRIM screen
-zoom on both axis in trim screen (for quiet samples)
-resampling
-timestreching
-when naming samples press cursor down to jump to the end of the sample name
-"intelligent" copy sample function with auto name
-mute groups
-mute/unmute sample/track in realtime while playing the song (silence a sample or a track in the trackmute menu)
-expanded tuning over the whole keyboard range (all octaves from note number 0-127)
-change sample start/end while playing the song (this is also possible with the TX16W and even with the s900)

The 2000 was released in 1997. The s950 and also the TX16W in 1988. Thats 9 years difference in hardware.
How can the older ones do stuff like timestretch/resampling in seconds with a 68000 processor (TX16W) or V20 (s950) (both run at max 16 MHz) while the 2000xl need minutes/hours with a V53 (20MHz)?

Copy sample process in the TX16W:
1. go to copy menü
2. choose sample (lets say it is named sample 1)
3. move cursor to OK
4. hit enter as many times as you want

the sample will be copied as many times as you hit enter and the samplenames will be
sample 2, sample 3, sample 4, sample 5

Seem there was some programmer who really thought about the workflow.

look at the list of features the Typhoon OS adds/improved with this old piece of hardware.

http://nuedge.net/typhoon2000/WhatIsTyphoon.htm
http://nuedge.net/typhoon2000/WhatIsTyphoon2000.htm

peace
By JVC Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:45 am
peterpiper wrote:
JVC wrote:I agree with Simon, I think MPC-2000 classic and XL ended with more than decent OS that the hardware can support (for 2000 classic, data management sucks, but I don't think (theoretical) OS update can improve it)

:shock: really?
I'm not a programmer but I can't see a reason why some improvements couldn't be made (especially on the 2000 classic)
peace

I know what you saying, but I don't think it can be compaired with other samplers.
My guess is that, for 2000's memory address for OS were already predetermined, so OS cannot be larger than the official one, therefore there is no room for adding new features. That's why I said that I didn't think (theoretical) OS update can improve it.
Plus, it is very hard to reverse engineer this type of hardware. I have no idea how someone was able to develop TX16W OS, that sounds like rocket science to me.

BTW, I didn't know that TX16W had Motorola 68000 ( the same CPU used in old Macs and Atari ST.) Probably that's why it was easier for develop new OS for TX16W, but I heard that TX16W's official OS was really bad (almost the level of unusable.)
By peeping tom Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:19 am
MPCWeapon1 wrote:All they need is to hire JJ's team and create a MPC 1000XL or MPC 1500 where you could makes beats on it then create prj files for your beats that are 100% transferable to the software. Filters, effects, Q link settings....everything. So we could use the software for advanced editing.

thank you.

im still bugging out as to why i cant buy a copy of the MPC software, load it without having toy hardware connected and load my mpc1000 files from my hardrive without having to load up old projects onto CF card, then load it on MPC just to hear a beat.
By m:t:c Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:36 pm
Ron-Jay wrote:an mpc with all of the best features combined would destroy the market. Yhere should be an "MPC Forum Edition" where we can say what functions the unit needs and have akai build a machine that does it all.

Shame it doesn't work like that. For every feature they (probably) calculate how many new customers they can get and prioritize based on that. Bad rep (probably) counts too so they work out the worst issues in order to get good word-of-mouth.
By DejaMPC Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:15 pm
I was thinking the same thing the other day. A stand alone hardware unit built big and tough like older mpc's that can connect to a daw hassle free. Plug into an outlet and turn it on without a computer. They took that away from us just to play catch up with NI maschine and it hasn't worked. Makes me wonder if Akai will ever get it right again. Oh also going from the MPC 5000 screen to MPC ren screen is a flat out down grade even with a computer monitor. Give us our big screens back!