Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By jay13 Tue May 19, 2015 10:45 am
Hello. I was tired of looking up information about the difference between MPC 2000xl and 2500 sound, so I tried to tell it by myself to know if all that is said are myths or not. I have take advantage of the opportunity and try to listen to the difference between youtube samples and vinyl samples too.
I know that it depends too on the quality of the record, the source of the youtube sample, the turntable, etc. But I think is a good starting point yet.
I have uploaded the examples to youtube and you can download the original files to compare it more accurately, if you want:
https://mega.co.nz/#F!g5IS2bwY!q-xCloNsFmY3bem1ZoUkqw

By jay13 Fri May 22, 2015 5:10 pm
Nope. In fact, they are:

Seq. 01: MPC 2500 - YouTube samples
Seq. 02: MPC 2000XL -Vinyl samples
Seq. 03: MPC 2000XL - YouTube samples
Seq. 04: MPC 2500 - Vinyl samples

So, from my point of view, the sound of the XL and the 2500 is pretty much the same, whereas the source definitely makes a difference, especially in the drums. At least in this case.
By tradesman Fri May 22, 2015 5:29 pm
don't know bout these machines but i went from a 500 to a 2000 and the difference in sound is huge
By richie Fri May 22, 2015 10:18 pm
The only discernible difference I can tell is that the 2000 series samplers is that there is a frequency cut off on the high end, some may consider that coloring but it just sounds like a degradation of what is being sampled to be honest.

The 1000/2500 do not seem to color the samples at all, they sound the same to me as what was fed through record in.
By marrelarre Sat May 30, 2015 8:46 am
You kind of should've done it Vinyl,vinyl, youtube,youtube to be honest, but whatever.

To me it seems like the highs are a lil rounder and dampened on the 2k but thats kinda hard to tell since we dont have any real highs going on in the clip.
I think to fully get a real grasp of this is to make a whole beat in the 2kxl and then make the exact same beat on the 2500, that way you'll hear everything, but thats troublesome indeed, and frankly - who cares right? As long as it sounds good.
By BoyOfVirtue Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:27 am
Wow! Great post, thanks for setting this up and sharing with us. I expected way more of a difference, but I guess a lot of the differences we think we perceive may just be due to our expectations.