Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By apeth88 Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:01 pm
Apologies for first post being another one of these threads sure you get alot of them.

I am new to the scene of music production I want to get my first studio set up at home.

I really like the look of the MPC's - do you think they are suitable for a novice (putting the time in)?

Looking at either MPC1000 or the Ren - the ren appeals as it has the software included. I work with computers so it seems logical to utilize this.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.
By mr_debauch Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:20 pm
download FL studio or ableton and call it a day
By apeth88 Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:05 pm
I have used ableton and fruity loops before and doing everything with a mouse is horible. I much prefer doing everything from a controller.

Any legit advice?
By BoyOfVirtue Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:11 pm
apeth88 wrote:I have used ableton and fruity loops before and doing everything with a mouse is horible. I much prefer doing everything from a controller.

Any legit advice?

You could get an MPC controller for those, I think it's the MPD32?

MPC1000 is easy to use and inexpensive, but if you just want an MPC because you like how they look, it's probably more trouble than its worth.
By SILIS101 Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:30 pm
There are no entry level mpc's.
By Paradox1 Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:33 am
Get a MPC studio.

latest software, constant updates and laods of support. do it!
By medearis Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:19 pm
If you're already comfortable working inside your computer - maybe the Studio or Renaissance would be a good route.

If you do NOT have an audio interface yet, the Renaissance has one built into the hardware. For sake of explanation, this will be a fully functional audio interface for ANY DAW you choose.

If you're looking into purchasing a hardware unit I would definitely suggest an MPC 1000 or an MPC 2500 w/ any JJOS version. The free JJOS (v3.15 I think) is really like a mega-patch for Akai's botched job. JJOS1 is where these operating systems fork from Akai's... and FOR THE BETTER.

Using either of the two listed HARDWARE units - you will have the same software functionality. The 1000 and 2500 both can use the wonderful JJOSes. If you install JJOS1 on an MPC 1000 and an MPC 2500, they will operate the same minus hardware differences of course.

Hope this helps a little bit. Shit can be confusing.
By BoyOfVirtue Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:59 pm
medearis wrote:If you're already comfortable working inside your computer - maybe the Studio or Renaissance would be a good route.

If you do NOT have an audio interface yet, the Renaissance has one built into the hardware. For sake of explanation, this will be a fully functional audio interface for ANY DAW you choose.

If you're looking into purchasing a hardware unit I would definitely suggest an MPC 1000 or an MPC 2500 w/ any JJOS version. The free JJOS (v3.15 I think) is really like a mega-patch for Akai's botched job. JJOS1 is where these operating systems fork from Akai's... and FOR THE BETTER.

Using either of the two listed HARDWARE units - you will have the same software functionality. The 1000 and 2500 both can use the wonderful JJOSes. If you install JJOS1 on an MPC 1000 and an MPC 2500, they will operate the same minus hardware differences of course.

Hope this helps a little bit. **** can be confusing.

What advantage is there to using a Ren or Studio over a MIDI controller with a DAW? MPC workflow? Being able to do more directly through the hardware and less on the computer? Honest question

I can see someone used to hardware MPCs that has no experience with a DAW being able to take advantage of the familiar workflow and not needing to buy additional software, but if you've already got Ableton, the new MPCs are pretty much just a glorified MIDI controller, no? I don't know much about the new MPCs so I'm thinking maybe there is something I'm not accounting for
By Mannie Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:35 am
Them MPC ranging From The MPC60,3000,2000/XL,4000 or 5000 and anything in between those are stand alones. Basiclly you can sample with them and make a beat with a drum kit and a sample and recored it and if you have daw you can export it. Thats about it. The trick is picking it up. All you really have to do is decide what type of music are your trying to make and what feel are you going for. All the older models have a natural sound. All the newer ones have HQ sound. The only only one with auto chop that I know of is the 2000XL all the other old ones you have to chop manually and the new ones all have auto chop. With that said do a little research you'll be fine.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:23 pm
BoyOfVirtue wrote:What advantage is there to using a Ren or Studio over a MIDI controller with a DAW? MPC workflow? Being able to do more directly through the hardware and less on the computer?

Yes to both, but ultimately it's the unique workflow aspect that you get with the MPC, there's nothing else like it. The MPC is not a DAW though, you cannot compare the MPC to a DAW and you certainly can't get the same workflow just by adding a controller to an existing DAW.
By reeloy Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:24 am
....well, getting started is always a pain in the ass....

a real hardware mpc.....is always luxury.....luxury is a good thing.....best thing.....
and always that little thing that makes the difference in the end.....

but luxury......and with no real skills by now, for quite some time the gap between works already, still not there yet.....

get fruity loops and save ur day is a bad advice, but not wrong......
especially if u got no clue about real mixing, compressing, eq'ing....
in a daw, there's always some way to get along already even without knowing where it's at....

for real hardware ur computer needs some more real hardware....so once u open this wormhole, there u go with luxury and the horizon won't come closer in quite a while to come.....

no matter how much real fhardware involved in firts place, be aware of the fact....it's done on the grid of a daw in the end.....the computer spits out the mix after all....

so, a hardware controler is the way cheaper and safer way to get some results for now. since u can't get around it anyway....

but if you feel really dedicated to all this for sure, get a 2500 or 1000 with jjos and a little audio interface....and start the real trip....but with this more fun and deepness effect comes the more work and spending money thing girst, though....

if you teally wanna have an instant game changer.....get urself a little handheld recorder and start hunting ur own sounds and samples whereever u go.....that really makes a huge difference to all ur musical results and journeys....

the biggest **** off these days are all those preset sucker blokes trying to sound like whatsofukingever using the same plugins....again and again and what's the news....

go for real content....if u wanna get anywhere for real,,,,be an original.....
best and only chance to afford the real instruments someday....anyways....
By distortedtekno Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:15 am
The MPC500 was considered the entry level model, from what I recall. It's a good unit to start out with and its the most affordable. Grab that and a pair of headphones to start out with. Leave all the computer stuff for another time, like when you've gotten far enough on the MPC to have enough music you wanna record. Otherwise, if you go crazy buying everything all at once, you'll be overwhelmed trying to learn everything, and it'll take away from the creative process.

You can always start out with a different model like the MPC1000, 2500, or any model you want. They all do the same thing basically. Some have more features than others. But the basics are all the same to figure out for the most part. Spend some time reading up about all the different models and go from there. Buy an amp and speakers, maybe a turntable and a mixer or preamp if you wanna sample from vinyl. But get to know your MPC and master it before you decide to buy more gear.
By medearis Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:03 am
Again... a 1000/2500 with JJOS1 and you're good to go. You can do a ton with "just that".
By mobs1ne Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:30 am
Sup guys new here just bought a used mpc500 maxxed out for 315 pre loaded with 3.97 gb hip hop samples memory maxxed out to 128mb I hope I did the right thing cause im not sure its beginner friendly? I currently use reasons essentials and own a m-auidio axiom air 25 wich is great but hate the whole editing and chopping etc etc just want to sample and bang it out looks easy on youtube but thoughts and tips would be greatly appreciated im sure once I fiddle with it id learn a bit ive already learned a lot from trail by air on my midi.. thanks and sorry for the newbie questions...