Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By HP. Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:20 am
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on mpc models or alternatives. I haven't been on the forum for a number of years, and since reluctantly sold my 1k and other equipment.
I finally have time and want to start making music again, but things have moved on and I am out of the loop on current gear!

I used to do everything on my blue 1k, a number of the pads were dead or dying but I had workarounds - although I did lust after models such as the 2kxl, 2.5k and 4K
I see 1k's are now less popular and more expensive, the same for other classic models, and there are new models such as the Renaissance and studio.

I would appreciate some advice from you who aren't new to mpc's, on how these new models compare, whether I should look for used classic models or embrace technology and look at these new models.

I've given myself a budget of £800 / $1100. It doesn't have to be an mpc but would prefer, can be old or new, just would appreciate some advice as now I'm starting again I have no idea the best plan.

Thanks, it's appreciated!
By d. realist Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:22 pm
It depends on the workflow you want to follow. If you want to heavily incorporate your pc to your production you might want to decide on some of the new models, like the Renessaince. If you prefer to use your mpc standalone before you track into a DAW you can choose from an mpc 1000 or 2500 with JJOS installed, or even an older model like 2000XL, if you are dedicated to work with it. It's all up to what fits your approach on beatmaking.

On what OS were you working on your old mpc? You might find new versions have been improved and provide new features, if you were using a JJOS, check it out.

It's my first post here, I really hope I could be of assistance. :oops:
By HP. Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:51 pm
Thanks for the input dude and congrats on the first post 8)

I used my 1k with the original akai OS :shock: out of choice... It did what I wanted, I knew jjos was better but it had the functions I needed. I recorded samples, cut them up, messed around with them and used basic effects, assigned to pads and sequenced.

I'd prefer to stick with standalone, but don't mind it connected to the computer if I don't have to look at the computer screen the whole time.

I'm tempted with a 2.5k to go back to a similar workflow, but want opinions on either moving to a 2k or a 4K.
Also opinions on moving to a ren or touch as I'm sceptical about them but they must be alright.

I have turntables and monitors but no other equipment. After a couple of years break I want a new machine to learn and get creative on.

Edit - swaying towards a touch now... Good or bad idea?

Thanks
By d. realist Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:32 pm
If you opt for a newer model I think the Renaissance is the best option since it has a nice hardware feeling. You will have to connect it to your computer to work but you can use its own screen for many things so you don't have to be locked to your computer all the time (plus the Vintage Mode it has to emulate the sound of classic models).

I personally am a bit sceptical for the Touch, it is quite new so I don't think it has all its bugs already worked through (I might be wrong but that's what I thought).

This is my personal opinions though, it would be nice to hear what some other members have to say. :nod:
By HP. Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:24 pm
Thanks for this.

I looked at the Renaissance but read read it's possibly discontinued, not a problem if it was hardware like older models but a new model that uses software being discontinued doesn't give me confidence in it.

I'm tempted by the touch as are interested in the capabilities of new machines. I don't want something that requires me to use the computer with it all the time but I don't mind if it just has to be connected.
By Bugfix Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:31 pm
get a 1000/2500 in good shape with JJO$, you won't regret it. If you ask a Q which machine to choose.. well they got most of things you imagine to have (except "force to tempo" AKA realtime timestretching). For more possibilties you can always connect to MAC/PC. Or get a Touch.
By JUKE 179r Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:54 am
What ever you do, don't get an MPC3000LE with an internal CF card reader, VGA card & Vailixi OS.

Because that's what I'm looking for to buy next! :lol:
By Lampdog Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:00 pm
2500 w/ jjos
By richie Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:50 am
I would suggest getting whatever has replacement parts and the most support for.

It makes the most sense for a beginner to get an MPC 1000 or a 2500 as there are still OS updates for it and has more current age options to utilize.
By mr_debauch Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:14 am
get the PS4 and wait a while before getting SF5, there is no arcade mode yet but it should be coming in an update.
By richie Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:34 am
mr_debauch wrote:get the PS4 and wait a while before getting SF5, there is no arcade mode yet but it should be coming in an update.

I am only really interested on online mode either way. But go figure the online mode is still rusty.