Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By ChuyLocs602 Fri May 13, 2016 8:48 am
Whats going on everybody. New to the forum and new to the mpc. I've known little about the mpc but never really put any thought into checking them out since I was first introduced to NI's Maschine. I love the maschine but I also love being standalone, getting away from the computer. I had ventured into other grooveboxes etc like the akai xr20, korg volcas, and most recently the new korg electribe. I feel I have been screwing up and not getting an mpc. So here I am looking for something to match my needs. I dont usually sample from other songs I just want a standalone machine that I can build drums for rap/hiphop/r&b/soul/ and funk productions that I will take to the computer for further production. Im looking for the options of...
•quantization or no quantization
•note repeat
•stand alone
And
• general great sequencing possibilities for my purpose.

One of the main reasons I had been eyeing the 2000xl for a while (other than a standalone drum machine/sampler is badass) . The 8 outs option got me dreaming because the maschine and protools integration isnt all that great for song building. I would love to eventually buy a higher channel count interface with some high end preamps to increase workflow speed. I was also thinking a mpc 500 would be a cool portable solution to building song ideas...and the price is almost half the price of the 2000xl im finding. I had boughten the xr20 a while back which is ok but i mainly dont like not being able to use my own drum sounds. Then I bought the new korg electribe synth version was ok. Workflow is better than the xr20 but i cant use my own samples plus not being able to turn quantization off kinda limits me.

I dont know too much the differences of models but im just going based on some things ive seen and heard. So based off my experiences and needs what do you guys recommend I do? Thanks
By MPC-Tutor Fri May 13, 2016 10:11 am
ChuyLocs602 wrote:Im looking for the options of...
•note repeat
•stand alone
And
...The 8 outs option

All MPCs have note repeat and optional quantization. If 8 outputs are required then I would recommend the MPC2500 rather than the MPC2000XL as it has better computer integration, better disk management out of the box, four times more system memory and the option of the third party operating systems (JJOS). But even the Akai OS on the 2500 is superior to the 2000XL OS, lots more features.
By JUKE 179r Fri May 13, 2016 1:04 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
•note repeat
•stand alone
And
...The 8 outs option

All MPCs have note repeat and optional quantization. If 8 outputs are required then I would recommend the MPC2500 rather than the MPC2000XL as it has better computer integration, better disk management out of the box, four times more system memory and the option of the third party operating systems (JJOS). But even the Akai OS on the 2500 is superior to the 2000XL OS, lots more features.

I concur... MPC2500 + XLCD screen + JJOS. :nod:
By Lampdog Fri May 13, 2016 6:25 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:
I concur... MPC2500 + XLCD screen + JJOS. :nod:

:nod:
By ChuyLocs602 Sat May 14, 2016 4:25 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
•note repeat
•stand alone
And
...The 8 outs option

thanks for the advice! Sorry if i mislead about the computer integration thing. The best integration for meis with having the 8 outs imo. Now the 2500 looks great but with a higher price tag. What about the 500 performance wise, to start with. Then maybe down the line a 2500 or 2000xl? Are the controls similar between the mpc500 and the other models?
By Lampdog Sat May 14, 2016 9:29 am
8 outs are important to you then do 2500. 2kxl is just too old an os to be considered alongside 2500. Easier to find parts and service for 2500. 2500 also can use jjos which absolutely kills 2kxl. Save the extra money and do this right the FIRST time. Get 2500 w/ jjos.
By Lampdog Sat May 14, 2016 11:12 am
I don't own a 2500 either, but if I had nothing, I'd look at 4k or 2500.
By ChuyLocs602 Wed May 25, 2016 7:57 pm
Lampdog wrote:8 outs are important to you then do 2500. 2kxl is just too old an os to be considered alongside 2500. Easier to find parts and service for 2500. 2500 also can use jjos which absolutely kills 2kxl. Save the extra money and do this right the FIRST time. Get 2500 w/ jjos.
one thing I read in another thread is that the 2kxl has 300,000 note sequencer. Then I read on mpcstuff that the 2500 has a 100,000 note sequencer. Is this comparison accurate and what does that mean?
By Ill-Green Sat May 28, 2016 3:27 am
500 only has 2 outs. A good near mint 2000XL maybe hard to come by and lets not forget finding parts, so I would go with the above mentioned 2500 with JJOS. Its up to date as far as standalone samplers go and has 8 outs. The 1000 has 8 outs and works on JJ too so you good if you on a budget.
By distortedtekno Sat May 28, 2016 8:25 pm
ChuyLocs602 wrote:
Lampdog wrote:8 outs are important to you then do 2500. 2kxl is just too old an os to be considered alongside 2500. Easier to find parts and service for 2500. 2500 also can use jjos which absolutely kills 2kxl. Save the extra money and do this right the FIRST time. Get 2500 w/ jjos.
one thing I read in another thread is that the 2kxl has 300,000 note sequencer. Then I read on mpcstuff that the 2500 has a 100,000 note sequencer. Is this comparison accurate and what does that mean?

The sequencer on the 2500 is 100,000 notes. But with the JJ OS, it's expanded to 300,000 notes. This was a feature request I submitted in 2008.
By Coz Sat May 28, 2016 10:45 pm
I'd love to know why all the 2500's on eBay are suddenly £1500?! WTF is that all about?? :hmmm: