Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Jake Collins Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:18 am
I'm looking to invest into my first mpc and I was wondering should I buy the MPC studio which is Integrateble with my DAW (Ableton Live) Or should I Buy the 200xl? I'm still kind of confused how producers, produce on the 2000xl and then put it into their DAW.
Thanks, much appreciated.
By Lampdog Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:40 pm
Touch. It's a controller + software used in conjunction with your computer.

2000xl is old ass technology that you probably don't wanna deal with. ALL the hardware is old, problems everywhere.
By distortedtekno Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:08 pm
Lamp's right. If you're just getting into production and have no experience with the old hardware MPCs, you're gonna need a lot of time and patience to get the results you're looking for.

With the 2000xl, you're gonna need the 8 output board installed in order to multitrack record into your DAW. So you'll need the 8 output board, a recording snake (which is 8 cables in a bundle), and an audio interface with 8 inputs. So you'll have to spend a lot of money to buy all that stuff. Not only that, but you'll need to deal with legacy storage options on the 2000xl. Whether the machine has a floppy drive, zip drive, or a CF drive, you're bound to deal with more issues. Then theres other things that can go wrong, whether you have to replace pads, sensors, tact switches, display screens, etc.
All these things are bound to need replacing, costing you more time, money, and patience to maintain.

With the MPC Studio, all you need is a small 2 channel audio interface. You'll have better integration with the MPC software and your DAW without the need for additional cables, etc. All your samples will be stored on your computer. No need to deal with transferring samples back and forth from the computer and the MPC.

Take the path of least resistance since you're already working with a DAW. You'll get more work done and have less issues to deal with by choosing the MPC Studio.
By JVC Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:46 pm
Lampdog wrote:
2000xl is old ass technology that you probably don't wanna deal with. ALL the hardware is old, problems everywhere.

You are hurting my feelings!
By Lampdog Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:04 pm
I have a 2kxl, lol.

BUT, consider this.

First MPC

Wants to use Ableton

First MPC

I'd say the same thing over again, Touch. Less of a struggle with older tech.
For us, we are more seasoned and FULLY understand the limitations and quirks.
By tapedeck Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:51 pm
Jake Collins wrote:I'm still kind of confused how producers, produce on the 2000xl and then put it into their DAW.

there is a LOT to learn. i think you'd get more enjoyment with the modern option, instead of struggling to learn a thousand new (old) concepts.