Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By rabidhamster Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:36 am
I've got a nice 4k machine that I'm underutilizing. Just picked up a 2k classic that needs an internal hard drive repair. I was lured in by the price and cool old computer beige appearance, but don't know that I actually need this thing.

I know the 2k is 16 bit, so theres a theoretical difference in sound....but is there any actual, real life reason I should keep the 2k classic also? It doesn't have the 8 outs, I assume its missing the SMTE.

I know this is a hard question, but what can the 2000 do that the 4000 can't, or what can the 2000 do differently that I might want to keep in my audio arsenal? For example "worse" sound that some people might like better is something that would count, if thats actually something to consider.

Even though I asked the question, I'll start off with answer 1:

Size - The 2000 is less than half the side of the 4000.
By dryad-66 Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:03 am
I would say the 2000 has a more authentic 90's type sound.Maybe its limited rawness is just what is need sometimes.The pre amp is bad ass iff you hit it just right.,more so than the 4000 and later units.Pitching sounds reat.imo.Filter has character.Bring up the rez and take down the cutoff and see what it does to your samples.The 2000 sits in the mix well,cuts through.Sequencer is simple but thats what you need sometimes.To me its warmer than the 4000.
By JUKE 179r Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:18 am
Ditch the 2000 and keep the 4000. :smoker:
I say this as I am trying to downsize my studio from the result of many drunk nights of expensive gear lust eBay purchases. lol
By Lampdog Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:37 pm
I have a 2kxl and a 4k.

I hardly ever use the 2kxl. I reach for them4k 99.9% of the time,

I keep 2kxl because of sentimental reasons only.

Yes, it sounds a tiny bit warmer, and simple is great when I am feeling lazy.
By Wal Martian Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:56 pm
The 2K can give your drums a nice crunch if you sample a 33 1/3RPM record at 45RPM and pitch it up +8 on a Technics TT and overdrive the input a little. Once you stretch the sound it back down to regular speed in the machine, you get that nice crispy early Kanye type of sound.
By rabidhamster Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:13 am
Cool thanks guys. Sounds like I may need to keep the 2000 long enough to check it out fully if nothing else. I’ve got an OS disk on the way.
I’ll check out the preamp and the filter especially, and I’m interested to see this simpler sequencer. After a long day at work simple can be nice.
By Sense-A Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:09 pm
There was one really cheap on eBay. I wonder if that is the one you got?

I have an MPC 4000 and an MPC 1000.

If I wanted "warm" I would just run the outputs through one of many preamps, compressors, eq's, effects gear I have. I love the MPC 1000 because I can pick it up with one hand, carry it around in a laptop bag, and take it with me almost anywhere. I have plenty of CF cards. I can back it up to PC with USB. JJOS. It's fast and tidy.

The MPC 4000 is a workhorse. It's large, but probably the most powerful of all MPC's.

I have no interest in an MPC 2000. It is the least desirable of all of them, for me.

Pete Rock used an MPC 2000XL for years. So it can't be that bad. But I'd rather have an MPC 3000, MPC 60, MPC 1000, MPC 2500, MPC 4000, MPC 60II, ...you get the picture.

I got an Akai S3000XL for about $100 which is almost the rack equivalent to the MPC 2000.

Too many people on this site use old technology to try to "color" their sound. To me, workflow is more important. I want to use modern technology. One day I might built a little guitar pedal sized box with plug-in, switchable op amps from older MPC's and akai's to run an audio signal through, maybe add a few filters, and demonstrate how you can get a better, modifiable, colored sound without harming your workflow or having to use floppy disks and scsi.
By dryad-66 Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:17 pm
I hear ya.....but workflow on the 2000 is super quick and simple.There's definately a bit of magic in that OG box// I also just got another 1000 with jjos2xl and absooutely love it more than before even.Q links are not working tho.This week ive got MPC1000,Ensoniq ASR X and Roland MC909.....all great sampler,sequencer synths.Amazin.
By rabidhamster Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:41 am
Sense-A wrote:There was one really cheap on eBay. I wonder if that is the one you got?

I have an MPC 4000 and an MPC 1000.

If I wanted "warm" I would just run the outputs through one of many preamps, compressors, eq's, effects gear I have. I love the MPC 1000 because I can pick it up with one hand, carry it around in a laptop bag, and take it with me almost anywhere. I have plenty of CF cards. I can back it up to PC with USB. JJOS. It's fast and tidy.

The MPC 4000 is a workhorse. It's large, but probably the most powerful of all MPC's.

I have no interest in an MPC 2000. It is the least desirable of all of them, for me.

Pete Rock used an MPC 2000XL for years. So it can't be that bad. But I'd rather have an MPC 3000, MPC 60, MPC 1000, MPC 2500, MPC 4000, MPC 60II, ...you get the picture.

I got an Akai S3000XL for about $100 which is almost the rack equivalent to the MPC 2000.

Too many people on this site use old technology to try to "color" their sound. To me, workflow is more important. I want to use modern technology. One day I might built a little guitar pedal sized box with plug-in, switchable op amps from older MPC's and akai's to run an audio signal through, maybe add a few filters, and demonstrate how you can get a better, modifiable, colored sound without harming your workflow or having to use floppy disks and scsi.

Nah I didn’t get that one, I snagged this one locally for a price I couldn’t refuse. It turns out to need a little work, the volume knob has a bad solder joint or something and needs tapped once in a while when the sound cuts out. Should be no big deal to repair.

I would definitely have chosen a 60, 60ii, 1000, or 3000 over this machine as well if I’d been presented with that option in a similar price :nod: :lol:

Time will tell if this box does something I can’t with my other assortment of samplers. I did try out the preamp sampling a bass guitar straight in and it sounds really good.
dryad-66 wrote:I hear ya.....but workflow on the 2000 is super quick and simple.There's definately a bit of magic in that OG box// I also just got another 1000 with jjos2xl and absooutely love it more than before even.Q links are not working tho.This week ive got MPC1000,Ensoniq ASR X and Roland MC909.....all great sampler,sequencer synths.Amazin.

For me, at least on paper, the MC909 is the biggest competition in my collection to the mpc2000. That Roland has a lot of cool effects and sound capabilities. The turntable emulation alone earned that machine a spot with me. I want to get an ASR 10 or X. I’ve got a TS12 that’s cool, but I haven’t even bothered looking into loading samples into it.

I keep telling myself I will master the samplers I currently have before adding anything else. But let’s be honest I’m just not turning down any great deals on them.
By dryad-66 Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:43 am
rabidhamster wrote:
I keep telling myself I will master the samplers I currently have before adding anything else. But let’s be honest I’m just not turning down any great deals on them.

Yeah me too.Sadly i will usually fix them up and sell them.Always keep the SP404 og and an mpc.Of which the 1000 is most practical and useful.And economical.....Actually sounds really good.
By rabidhamster Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:27 pm
dryad-66 wrote:
rabidhamster wrote:

Yeah me too.Sadly i will usually fix them up and sell them.Always keep the SP404 og and an mpc.Of which the 1000 is most practical and useful.And economical.....Actually sounds really good.

An mpc 1000 narrowly escaped my grasp about the time I bought my 4k. I've had my eyes out for one locally, but I don't really need it so I don't look on ebay or anything. I had an old battery powered yamaha sampler years ago that I shouldn't have sold, that thing was surprisingly cool. I kinda like battery powered stuff.
By 40Beatz Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:01 pm
Yeah... I know this is old...but...I say keep the 2000...If you're not strapped for cash. Im kinda more fond of the XL vs the Classic. Classic...you gotta start it wit a OS disk and no tilt screen. And other features are missing too.
But I say Keep it, Dress it up with a Funky Style Flip Skin and put it on Display in ya Studio :lol:
By Lampdog Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:08 pm
40Beatz wrote: put it on Display in ya Studio :lol:

I know a few people who have done that.