Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Spintonik Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:50 pm
So whole Europe is washed over by a heat wave, here I am, at the pool, NOT swimming, but pondering Studio Gear... One should not let GAS get this bad! :Sigh: :wink:

Well, what can you do. Due some space restrictions applied by the missus, I had to let all my keyboard based synth gear go. I sold my Maschine Studio too, while I was at it. What I have left is a Speakers, mixer, some effect boxes and 32/32 firewire I/O to my DAW. Oh and 3k€ - not much, but that should do.

I was planning to invest into handful of hw desktop synths, to an analog drum machine and a MIDI keyboard. All those will be routed, via my HW processor collection, to DAW for further fx plugins, and then back to mixer for down mixing.

My choice of samples is www.noiiz.com cloud service. I make Drum'n Bass, Breaks and occasional house beat to a friend. All this is strictly hobby.

At the Center of this all I would like to have a modern MPC, MIDI co trolling everything. I cannot stretch to
X without sacrificing too much in synth department. So I am torn between Live and Ren. Especially as Live is now entering 2nd hand market, theyre pretty close in price. Please help me decide!

Few questions / thoughts;

If I buy Live, is there a License transfer process available for 2.x SW?
Likewise, is 1.9 to 2.x upgrade bound to Ren hardware or old SW license?

You all seem to like Live as standalone, I look forward to experiencing that too, if I end up buying Live.

However, for 2.x SW, which one is working better as a controller and why?

Also, from SW, can I route audio to both Live and Ren Outputs (congregated devices in Mac?) And further to my prosessors, while using my soundcard outputs too?

Finally, I have old Mac Pro with OS X 10.11 with no further upgrade route. Will this pose a problem?

Thank you for your help!

-sincerely, Mikko
By Spintonik Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:59 pm
Heat wave has passed, back in office. While waiting your insights, I googled myself through few easy ones and replied to my own questions:

Spintonik wrote:
If I buy Live, is there a License transfer process available for 2.x SW?

yes.

Spintonik wrote:Likewise, is 1.9 to 2.x upgrade bound to Ren hardware or old SW license?

Software, AFAIK - this info is not available outside of Akai user -la la land.

Spintonik wrote:Also, from SW, can I route audio to both Live and Ren Outputs (congregated devices in Mac?) And further to my prosessors, while using my soundcard outputs too?

Yes, but there will be additional latency (issues), if I wish to route Ren back in again through sound card inputs.

Spintonik wrote:Finally, I have old Mac Pro with OS X 10.11 with no further upgrade route. Will this pose a problem?

Not for now, at least.

So what is left to answer is YOUR opinion;

However, for 2.x SW, which one is working better as a controller and why?