Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Wuchtisdagame Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:25 pm
Hi at all,

I read the threads and reviews on the MPC live and MPC 1000 and I do get the differences but still cannot really decide.

I have a MPC touch at home and am pretty happy with it - it is my first MPC.
Now I am looking for a portable addition mainly to use at work in my lunch break but also would enjoy a standalone version to not always be dependent on the PC.

I am an absolute newbie doing this for 3 months now. It is just a hobby but I'd like to spend as much time possible learning and geting better.
I'm only interested in using the MPCs for hip hop with vinyl samples and samplepacks.

My thoughts so far:
- As I get accoustomed to the Touch workflow the live would be easier to use
- On the other hand I read about how the workflow on the MPC 1000 is better and once you master it has benefits.
- Sound on the MPC 1000 might be better
- MPC 1000 is almost half the price but if the live is the better solution I'd rather spend more.

So would you guys say the MPC 1000 needs much time to learn and is there a compatibility issue I dont realize when working with the portable solution and the touch on the same projects.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I allready have a couple of good offers for each solution.

Thanks!
By NearTao Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:16 am
I've got my OG MPC 1k, sold off my Live, sold off my 500, and have an MPC X. I have no experience with the Touch, so... cannot compare there.

First I'll hit the broad topics of the MPCs I no longer have.
MPC 500 - Honestly, still a serious beast of a portable device... a lot of cats under rate it... and yeah... it has a few bugs... but if you've got the MPC workflow in your brain, it really is a solid beast. Biggest problem is the shitty capacitors that Akai put in them, but they can be replaced. Not on your list... but for what it is with stock Akai OS... might be something to consider

MPC Live - I sold it because... I found the context switching between the touch screen, and hitting the q-links to be a complete bear. Freaking multiple q-link mode button presses stinks, and touching the parameters you want to control only changes the context of the data wheel. For me... just a bit too big to be portable, and just a bit too feature poor in the interface department to really stick with me. Autosampling however can be dope.

On to what I still own
MPC 1000 - My first MPC, and absolutely is special to me. With JJOS upgrades it is a completely other animal and can compete quite well up against other MPCs in chopping speed and sound. Biggest bummer for a lot of folks is the lack of more than 128mb of memory. For me it's fine... I've never hit the limit, but I'm also not trying to load in lots of instruments, I prefer to record in breaks and instrumentals, chop them up... and then flip them. I guess I tend to go for more of the old school utilize everything to the max, and often create full songs with less than even the 16mb that the 1k was packaged with by default. Besides the lack oof battery power, this is super portable and can be thrown into just about any backpack, bag, satchel, and even a lot of purses.

MPC X - I got this after enjoying the Live, but needing all the q-links. The experience is night and day better, trust me. The four inputs is great if you need something that can work as a mini mixer, and yeah... I'd say it is an all around solid studio device. All that said, I'm seriously considering selling the X off, for all the benefits that it has, I still find it a bit of a pain. Sure it can do tricks that the 1k cannot do, but I'll be honest... a lot of the pseudo DAW stuff it does... I'm going to do in a DAW anyways. I tried a few workflows using the software as a plugin to Ableton Live, and was really just sad afterwards... because I can just as easily track out from my 1k and do chops there. There are a few niceties, but I am seriously thinking I'd rather have the cash back in hand, and go back to the 1k.

Other random thoughts...
The Teenage Engineering PO-33 is absolutely worth checking out. It only has 40 seconds of sample time, but it is also about the most feature rich sampler you can get in that tiny format at this time. I've been knocking out 1-3 minute tracks just about daily with it and having a blast. I'm just mentioning it because the barrier to entry is super low, and while not an MPC... it's got some similar workflow concepts that are kind of dumbed down... but I consider them streamlined :)

To answer your questions...
The 1k is pretty easy to learn... Tutor has the Bible... and there are thousands of videos on Youtube... it's quite straight forward, and JJOS is still fixing bugs in the software if you go the JJOS route... on the flip side... you probably won't be able to import JJOS sequences/tracks/programs into the Touch software... unless you keep it super simple... but the way it handles midi notes to pad mappings, program changes, etc... just won't work in a repeatable or desirable way really... you'll need to track out from the MPC 1k either by using multiple outs... track muting and rendering... or something... there are ways to do it... but it might not meet your desired workflow.
By Menco Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:48 pm
Sell the Touch, get the Live. At home you still have the same workflow you are already used to. And when you leave the house, you also still have the same workflow you are already used to. Don’t have to export projects as MPC1000 files and run into compatibillity isues. Not all Touch/ Software/ Live data translates well to the older machines. You just pop the Live in your backpack and continue your exact same project later on the go.
Plus the 1000 doesn’t sounds better per se. Maybe slightly different, but it really depends on how you process your sounds. Have the 2500, had the Live but never really noticed a big difference in sound.
By Wuchtisdagame Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:29 pm
NearTao wrote:I've got my OG MPC 1k, sold off my Live, sold off my 500, and have an MPC X. I have no experience with the Touch, so... cannot compare there.

First I'll hit the broad topics of the MPCs I no longer have.
MPC 500 - Honestly, still a serious beast of a portable device... a lot of cats under rate it... and yeah... it has a few bugs... but if you've got the MPC workflow in your brain, it really is a solid beast. Biggest problem is the **** capacitors that Akai put in them, but they can be replaced. Not on your list... but for what it is with stock Akai OS... might be something to consider

MPC Live - I sold it because... I found the context switching between the touch screen, and hitting the q-links to be a complete bear. Freaking multiple q-link mode button presses stinks, and touching the parameters you want to control only changes the context of the data wheel. For me... just a bit too big to be portable, and just a bit too feature poor in the interface department to really stick with me. Autosampling however can be dope.

On to what I still own
MPC 1000 - My first MPC, and absolutely is special to me. With JJOS upgrades it is a completely other animal and can compete quite well up against other MPCs in chopping speed and sound. Biggest bummer for a lot of folks is the lack of more than 128mb of memory. For me it's fine... I've never hit the limit, but I'm also not trying to load in lots of instruments, I prefer to record in breaks and instrumentals, chop them up... and then flip them. I guess I tend to go for more of the old school utilize everything to the max, and often create full songs with less than even the 16mb that the 1k was packaged with by default. Besides the lack oof battery power, this is super portable and can be thrown into just about any backpack, bag, satchel, and even a lot of purses.

MPC X - I got this after enjoying the Live, but needing all the q-links. The experience is night and day better, trust me. The four inputs is great if you need something that can work as a mini mixer, and yeah... I'd say it is an all around solid studio device. All that said, I'm seriously considering selling the X off, for all the benefits that it has, I still find it a bit of a pain. Sure it can do tricks that the 1k cannot do, but I'll be honest... a lot of the pseudo DAW stuff it does... I'm going to do in a DAW anyways. I tried a few workflows using the software as a plugin to Ableton Live, and was really just sad afterwards... because I can just as easily track out from my 1k and do chops there. There are a few niceties, but I am seriously thinking I'd rather have the cash back in hand, and go back to the 1k.

Other random thoughts...
The Teenage Engineering PO-33 is absolutely worth checking out. It only has 40 seconds of sample time, but it is also about the most feature rich sampler you can get in that tiny format at this time. I've been knocking out 1-3 minute tracks just about daily with it and having a blast. I'm just mentioning it because the barrier to entry is super low, and while not an MPC... it's got some similar workflow concepts that are kind of dumbed down... but I consider them streamlined :)

To answer your questions...
The 1k is pretty easy to learn... Tutor has the Bible... and there are thousands of videos on Youtube... it's quite straight forward, and JJOS is still fixing bugs in the software if you go the JJOS route... on the flip side... you probably won't be able to import JJOS sequences/tracks/programs into the Touch software... unless you keep it super simple... but the way it handles midi notes to pad mappings, program changes, etc... just won't work in a repeatable or desirable way really... you'll need to track out from the MPC 1k either by using multiple outs... track muting and rendering... or something... there are ways to do it... but it might not meet your desired workflow.

Man first off thanks for the summary that really helped me a lot!
As I never tried an MPC without the touch screen I really dont know if that bugs me that much but everyone seems to preffer the workflow on the other MPCs that much more....

As Akai released the MPC one a few days ago that of course is now also in the mix and seems to be a good step up from the MPC 1000 in regards to having more storage, updated OS and all the new stuff and is a standalone too.

So now the question has shifted to should I get a LIve or a ONE. ...

One is a bit cheaper and has all the direct controls.
Live has the Capacity bonus and is battery powered. As I said battery is noit really needed but as @Menco said selling my touch and upgrading to a Live would be a good idea.

So now I am stuck between the Live or the One as a used MPC1000 would just be 100-200Euros less in over here than a ONE and maybe 200-300 Euros less than a used live.

Any thoughts on this?

Am I missing something?
By Wuchtisdagame Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:32 pm
Menco wrote:Sell the Touch, get the Live. At home you still have the same workflow you are already used to. And when you leave the house, you also still have the same workflow you are already used to. Don’t have to export projects as MPC1000 files and run into compatibillity isues. Not all Touch/ Software/ Live data translates well to the older machines. You just pop the Live in your backpack and continue your exact same project later on the go.
Plus the 1000 doesn’t sounds better per se. Maybe slightly different, but it really depends on how you process your sounds. Have the 2500, had the Live but never really noticed a big difference in sound.

Thanks!
Now that the ONE is out I am torn between getting a used Live or a ONE as the are not much more pricy than a used 1k. And your point is absoluty right and I was thinking in the same lines..

Any thoughts on the ONE vs. Live?
Would you rather invest in the bigger capacity and more outputs of the live or go for the more controls and newer Softwarepackage?
By Menco Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:16 pm
Would you need the extra outs? The software offers multiple ways to import project into your computer/ daw.
I think more important questions are:

- Would you need the battery to be portable?
- Does not having the option to install in internal HD or SDD be a dealbreaker for you?
- Do you want to use your MPC together with Ableton Live?
By NearTao Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:36 pm
Wuchtisdagame wrote:
Any thoughts on the ONE vs. Live?
Would you rather invest in the bigger capacity and more outputs of the live or go for the more controls and newer Softwarepackage?

Well your choice is probably...

New MPC One... honestly this does strike me as a great entry point into the family, and is likely to have a reasonable resell value should you care to upgrade in the future. No battery power is a bummer in my mind, but it is much more portable.

Used MPC Live... not *much* more than the One new... it's operable in the portable sense where the One is not. You've got a bit more dedicated controls which is great, meaning a little less dependance on the touch screen. Internal HD is nice, but not necessary.

If this is your choice... I guess to me the biggest difference is portability... do you want to make beats in the park... or do you want to make beats at Starbucks?

Or

Spin on size... do you want to lug around the Live in a large backpack/case, or do you want something like the One you can toss just about anywhere?
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:02 pm
Everything posted above make good points. The things you have to keep in mind is, while making music during lunch is ideal. Many times it just that and after awhile carrying around an MPC just becomes tiresome. When I had a job, I used to take my laptop to finish up mixes at work. Well that lasted a good week. :lol:

1. Need Case for travel damage.
2. More stuff to carry.
3. Possible Theft.
4. More things to think about.

As far as the MPC One vs Live.

The layouts are different but the software is the same. If you're undecided, I suggest waiting until Akai Pro releases the MPC ONE's manual to see what it fully can do. The battery in the live is cool, but eventually you will have to replace it and so you'll be using AC power.

You get 4 outputs on the LIVE, but since you use the touch now. That really doesn't do anything for you, since you're tethered to computer already. The extra MIDI ports on the live is nice. The question is are you willing to pay 300 more for a battery, ssd port, 4 more outs and 1 more MIDI in and out ports.

Personally those features are not worth the extra money. As for price: a used MPC LIVE or new MPC ONE. I would go with the new MPC one. Warranty, piece of mind that it was taken care of, and ability to return it.

Something to think about. if you're happy with the MPC TOUCH, look into a total different piece of gear, that you can add to your setup. Something that will give you more sounds and will actually enhance your setup.

Better speakers, a synth, sound module, nice MIDI keyboard, Keyboard workstation. I only suggest not knowing what other gear you currently own.

Wuchtisdagame wrote:Hi at all,

I read the threads and reviews on the MPC live and MPC 1000 and I do get the differences but still cannot really decide.

Now I am looking for a portable addition mainly to use at work in my lunch break but also would enjoy a standalone version to not always be dependent on the PC.

I am an absolute newbie doing this for 3 months now. It is just a hobby but I'd like to spend as much time possible learning and geting better.
I'm only interested in using the MPCs for hip hop with vinyl samples and samplepacks.

My thoughts so far:
- On the other hand I read about how the workflow on the MPC 1000 is better and once you master it has benefits.
- MPC 1000 is almost half the price but if the live is the better solution I'd rather spend more.

So would you guys say the MPC 1000 needs much time to learn and is there a compatibility issue I dont realize when working with the portable solution and the touch on the same projects.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I allready have a couple of good offers for each solution.

Thanks!
By Wuchtisdagame Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:59 pm
Menco wrote:Would you need the extra outs? The software offers multiple ways to import project into your computer/ daw.
I think more important questions are:

- Would you need the battery to be portable?
- Does not having the option to install in internal HD or SDD be a dealbreaker for you?
- Do you want to use your MPC together with Ableton Live?

The battery would just be a cherry on top but for me not really necessary.
About the HD/SDD I really don't know as I am. Pretty new to this.
No Ableton now maybe later on but definitely not now.

I guess thats strengthens my idea to buy a One then :)
By Wuchtisdagame Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:04 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Everything posted above make good points. The things you have to keep in mind is, while making music during lunch is ideal. Many times it just that and after awhile carrying around an MPC just becomes tiresome. When I had a job, I used to take my laptop to finish up mixes at work. Well that lasted a good week. :lol:

1. Need Case for travel damage.
2. More stuff to carry.
3. Possible Theft.
4. More things to think about.

As far as the MPC One vs Live.

The layouts are different but the software is the same. If you're undecided, I suggest waiting until Akai Pro releases the MPC ONE's manual to see what it fully can do. The battery in the live is cool, but eventually you will have to replace it and so you'll be using AC power.

You get 4 outputs on the LIVE, but since you use the touch now. That really doesn't do anything for you, since you're tethered to computer already. The extra MIDI ports on the live is nice. The question is are you willing to pay 300 more for a battery, ssd port, 4 more outs and 1 more MIDI in and out ports.

Personally those features are not worth the extra money. As for price: a used MPC LIVE or new MPC ONE. I would go with the new MPC one. Warranty, piece of mind that it was taken care of, and ability to return it.

Something to think about. if you're happy with the MPC TOUCH, look into a total different piece of gear, that you can add to your setup. Something that will give you more sounds and will actually enhance your setup.

Better speakers, a synth, sound module, nice MIDI keyboard, Keyboard workstation. I only suggest not knowing what other gear you currently own.

Wuchtisdagame wrote:Hi at all,

My thoughts so far:

Thanks!

Thanks so much!
The thing about the portability is I got my own business - I own a gym-and therefore I have some time at lunch but almost no time at home During the week because of working early and late. So I am looking for a solution to continue working on the projects I start on the weekend. The carrying is no problem and theft also not.

Everything you say about the one vs live makes so much sense and just confirms what I thought (warranty, peace of mind...)
So I guess I'll upgrade to a One then.

Thanks for all your help!
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:24 am
Glad everyone's suggestions helped.

Wuchtisdagame wrote:
Thanks so much!
The thing about the portability is I got my own business - I own a gym-and therefore I have some time at lunch but almost no time at home During the week because of working early and late. So I am looking for a solution to continue working on the projects I start on the weekend. The carrying is no problem and theft also not.

Everything you say about the one vs live makes so much sense and just confirms what I thought (warranty, peace of mind...)
So I guess I'll upgrade to a One then.

Thanks for all your help!
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:46 pm
NearTao wrote:And if they didn't... it's not so hard to flip gear these days :)

It used to be much easier, with a lower price. Because studios, pawn shops, rental companies, used to have gear rummage sales to clear their supplies. You could get a samplers and drum machines for like 200 USD.