Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By phdbeats Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:09 pm
Hey guys.

I have saved up enough money to purchase either one of these two machines. I am primarily a Maschine user, but I want to move to standalone. I make sample based hiphop only.

If you have experience with both, which do you prefer? The reason I am considering the 3000 is because of the vintage workflow and sound. I am considering the X because of the features and contemporary workflow.
By Menco Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm
Only get a 3000 if it has the SD/ USB port upgrade, and if you are really, really after that specific 3000 sound. Otherwise you will probably miss way too many features coming from Mashine.
By JUKE 179r Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:12 pm
MPC3000... only because I can’t afford an X.

Jk... go for the X. You’ll be working backwards on the 3000 since you have experience on Maschine.
But... check this vid out...
By NearTao Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:26 pm
The 3000 is like an old muscle car... it can look and sound great... but it's a lot to maintain. I'm not going to go so far as to say "enthusiasts only"... but you've really got to love it for what it is. It is simpler by far, and if you learn it you can go places... but you're going to have to put the time in learning it inside and out... both the software and the hardware... if you want to get full enjoyment out of it.

The X on the other hand, has tons of features... and some might say is bloated by comparison. You don't need to know how everything works here, and there are tons of ways to accomplish the same thing.

Both are great in their own way... but it's hard to not recommend the X if you're coming from NI, unless you're looking to completely disconnect from the computer and severely restrict what the device can do from a workflow standpoint in order to get your creative juices flowing through a tighter feature set.
By NearTao Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:30 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:MPC3000... only because I can’t afford an X.

Jk... go for the X. You’ll be working backwards on the 3000 since you have experience on Maschine.
But... check this vid out...

I'm pretty sure I saw this dude on a video talking about his improved chopping workflow... which was effectively, sample the full recording into the 3000, pitch to taste, re-record into the X, and then chop in the X. Absolutely done similar here... and if it works for you it works.
By Lampdog Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:07 pm
MPC X

Don't hustle backwards.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:06 pm
If it's for sample based only. Get the MPC X and make your life easier. If you doing traditional sampling and drums and you don't need all the q link knobs, extra midi, and 8 outs. Then wait and check out the MPC One.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By NearTao Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:08 pm
Lampdog wrote:MPC X

Don't hustle backwards.

Alright Lamp... you got me to google and was expecting memes... instead found this https://julliengordon.com/are-you-hustling-backwards-21-ways-you-might-be

Specifically the list

Below are 21 ways you could be hustling backwards:

• buying a car you can’t afford to maintain
  • buying a home you can’t afford to maintain—beyond the mortgage there a lots of other expenses such as home and life insurance, taxes, roof work, plumbing work, cleaning, etc
  • increasing your cost of living based on the assumption that income will increase accordingly
  • increasing your cost of living and paying for it with debt
  • increasing your cost of living based on the income you’re getting at a job you hate, when the income on the career path you desire may be (a lot) less
  • not even knowing what your cost of living is
  • letting money sit in a savings account earning a measly interest rate—with inflation, you might as well be throwing money away
  • quitting your job instead of using your job while seriously testing our the economic viability of your business idea
  • not knowing how to make money outside of the context of a job
  • undercharging for what you make or do in fear of losing low-paying price-sensitive probably-not-loyal clients
  • saying you want to retire early, but not knowing your numbers—the number you need to save and the income you need to generate monthly once you retire
  • taking on debt to buy a home or car or anything else that doesn’t involve building a business (at a higher growth rate than the loan’s interest rate)
  • taking on more “good” debt to go to graduate school because you’re “supposed to” or don’t know what else to do and not having a clear career plan on how to get a return on your investment as soon as possible afterward
  • buying a single family home and assuming it is an investment without it being a fixer-uper that you know will increase in value as you work on it or using AirBnB to help you create income with it
  • buying or leasing a car that looks cool but does nothing positive for your asset or revenue column
    renting an overpriced apartment in an up-and-coming neighborhood when more affordable options exist or you could be owning for the same amount
  • taking expensive vacations to get away from a job you hate instead of investing in a idea that will free you from the job you hate
  • spending $30,000 on a one-day wedding instead of making a downpayment on a piece of property or other assets that will support your family forever
  • using credit cards to buy things without setting up automatic withdrawal from your checking account so that you build your credit instead of kill it
  • trusting that the stock market will automatically grow your money at 10% a year without you having to do anything when instead your own ideas can turn 10 cents into 11 cents (10% growth) in 12 months with a little thought and effort
  • having more than 2 TVs in your home, not because the TVs cost too much, but because of how much the time you watch them costs you and your business ideas

MPC 3k is now on the list.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:17 pm
80% of the gear people buy is hustling backward. :lol: We only use 20% of the gear we have, unless each piece serves a specific purpose and is always used. This is the reason people buy recording consoles, because everything was there. Pre-amp, EQ, Compressor, Limiter. No need to have tons of outboard gear.
By Lampdog Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:52 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Pre-amp, EQ, Compressor, Limiter.

I try to use all of this in my UFX instead of anywhere else. It just sounds GOOD in the UFX hardware.
NearTao wrote:
Lampdog wrote:MPC X

Don't hustle backwards.

Alright Lamp... you got me to google and was expecting memes... instead found this https://julliengordon.com/are-you-hustling-backwards-21-ways-you-might-be

MPC 3k is now on the list.

Yep, there was a reason why I said that. It happens with all of us. But most times you can avoid the bigger issues.

Ex. I ended up with 3 tv's. 3rd was from traveling overseas and it ended up coming back with me.
The rest of the list has nothing to do with me, lol.
By Lampdog Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:36 pm
phdbeats wrote:Thanks fellas! The overall feeling I get is to get the X. I am going to start looking for a reasonably priced one now, thanks!

A reasonably priced ONE or a a reasonably priced one?
'Cause One is new and one is not new.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm
Lampdog wrote:I try to use all of this in my UFX instead of anywhere else. It just sounds GOOD in the UFX hardware.

Same here, really limit 3rd party effects and as far as the MPC X vs 3000. If the OP was doing more external MIDI things, I would go with the MPC 3000. However for everything else the MPC X wins, it's just easier.
By Lampdog Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:38 pm
Vid guy should realize they are both digital machines.
You can make the X sound fatter if you want.

I would not in these days and times get a 3k just to have a fatter sound. **** that.
Too many other tools in modern gear to get a fat sound.

If I were to get a 3k it would be because I've always wanted one.

I was teasing about the One.

Get the gear that you think suites you, use your ears, budget, gear feature set to guide your decision.