Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Lampdog Sat May 02, 2020 3:22 pm
I read it.

Your still comparing. Even your subject says “vs”.
This is a “comparison” thread, sooooo....
By Danoc Sat May 02, 2020 3:30 pm
Eyalc wrote:
EDIT - and btw, I bought that plugin from WaveTracing... there is an issue with it on Catalina. For some it runs, for others it doesn't pass validation. For me, it didn't. Issued an immediate refund and said they'd prioritize resolution.

I agree 100% bout getting your money back if its not working with Cat. Another reason l mess with windows instead of a Mac. E dod apple upgrade agaian or something? What version of Cat are you up to?
By Danoc Sat May 02, 2020 3:36 pm
Yeah l compared which one would a person take to the studio. We both know producers take lap tops to the studio.
My experience is why take the live when l get a better result with the laptop .
Thats what my statement is saying.

Im comparing being unlimited vs limited!

Lampdog wrote:I read it.

Your still comparing. Even your subject says “vs”.
This is a “comparison” thread, sooooo....
By Danoc Sat May 02, 2020 3:48 pm
@Lamp your analogy of a gymnast is waaaaaaayyyyy off course of what l said .

I think you're stuck on the title and mot on the actual comments that l said to support my VS.

But we did have a convo where , myself included said the MPCs is a Computer.But it can't fill the shoes in totality like a computer but a computer non the less
By Danoc Sat May 02, 2020 3:57 pm
Laptop vs MPC Live, which one would you take and feel comfy with going to a major studio? Was my main concept.

I chose laptop cause from my experience l had more power, top notch plugins at my disposal, bigger screen, tight sequencer etc, its unlimited for me.

If someone differs give a list of the Live or One (I won't say X cause l don't imagine someone picking that thang up and traveling with it) that can topple a laptop and l will give mines. Respectively.: )

First thing in my list:
1. Laptop UNLIMITED.
2. MPC Live LIMITED!

I use to think l wanted to get from tbe computer which l hear so many regurgitate, but find myself right back at the computer and enjoying it. :)
Last edited by Danoc on Sat May 02, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Menco Sat May 02, 2020 4:07 pm
Danoc wrote:Someone else mentioned they can do an entire track on a live but l can't due to the things l need. Bottom line is l'd rather take a laptop than a live to the stoo.

Oh yeah, that was me. :smoker:

I even do full beats on the MPC2500, including mixing. Chopped and sequenced everything with MP. Did some resampling to get some FX going. Used a multisample bass program I bought from Tutor's site years ago. Recorded track mutes and filter sweep with the Q-links. Resampled the final outcome. Only needed my laptop to get it online. Could it maybe sound better if I had more knowledge of plugins and messed with that? Probably. But it sounds like I want it to sound, and nobody else gives a shit. So if Dre would fly me in to his studio in LA, I would still bring in the MP instead of my laptop if I only could bring in one piece of equipment.

By Danoc Sat May 02, 2020 4:26 pm
Ok. Nice track by the way.

Your prodcing situation is totally different from mines. I knew it would be about samples with you when you said you can do an entire track on the MPC.

I don't sample, when l do orchestral music, Dance Hall, R&B, HipHop/Trap, Pop Music, serious sound design l won't be able to use on the Live. Especially in standalone mode. So being l don't sample it's difficult to produce high quality tracks. Now doing drums in it, no doubt a beast.

Im glad you can though.

Menco wrote:Oh yeah, that was me. :smoker:

I even do full beats on the MPC2500, including mixing. Chopped and sequenced everything with MP. Did some resampling to get some FX going. Used a multisample bass program I bought from Tutor's site years ago. Recorded track mutes and filter sweep with the Q-links. Resampled the final outcome. Only needed my laptop to get it online. Could it maybe sound better if I had more knowledge of plugins and messed with that? Probably. But it sounds like I want it to sound, and nobody else gives a ****. So if Dre would fly me in to his studio in LA, I would still bring in the MP instead of my laptop if I only could bring in one piece of equipment.

By Menco Sat May 02, 2020 5:10 pm
Danoc wrote:Ok. Nice track by the way.

Thanks

Danoc wrote:Your prodcing situation is totally different from mines.

THIS

Danoc wrote:I don't sample, when l do orchestral music, Dance Hall, R&B, HipHop/Trap, Pop Music, serious sound design l won't be able to use on the Live. Especially in standalone mode. So being l don't sample it's difficult to produce high quality tracks. Now doing drums in it, no doubt a beast.

I agree, in your case it's hard to accomplish everything with the Live. Although Akai want everybody to believe it is easy to do so.
By CharlesRandolph Sat May 02, 2020 5:31 pm
Menco wrote:I just wanna play and make my hands dirty on the playground. Having unlimited gym acces doesn't mean a thing when you go to them, have too many things to try out and to set up and trying to improve on too many skills on way too many attributes (don't fear the man who has practiced 10.000 kicks once, fear the man who has practiced one kick 10.000 times) while loosing the fun of simple paying around.

Although I really love it to have a gym with everything in my backyard when I need something, or need a mat trying to do a front flip in combination with cartwheel to try something different, or when it's time to learn a new skill. But at the end of the day, I just want to be a master in doing cartwheels.

How many compositions are you making a week?

Danoc wrote:Laptop WITH MPC live? :roll: Beneficial to who when going to the studio? So you mean to tell me Charles you will take a laptop and MPC live to the major stoo? The statement made was correct and not confused it with them both being carried together to transport to a major stoo.

Actually, I wouldn't bring either. Because I would FTP all stems, so I don't have to waste any time. :lol:

Eyalc wrote:Agreed. There are too many of these standard features missing. But that's why I'm confused when people celebrate Splice, plugins and "moving the platform forward". Fix these foundational issues and omissions first! Then add whatever the heck you want.

EDIT - and btw, I bought that plugin from WaveTracing... there is an issue with it on Catalina. For some it runs, for others it doesn't pass validation. For me, it didn't. Issued an immediate refund and said they'd prioritize resolution.

+100
By Danoc Sat May 02, 2020 6:26 pm
Menco wrote:
I agree, in your case it's hard to accomplish everything with the Live. Although Akai want everybody to believe it is easy to do so.

Yes sir.

I can't rock in standalone withe flimsy synth Akai has in the Live. Tube synth? I can't get wit it. Now if akai had all the Air instruments l could do an entire track. The stuff in the vault is not my taste but the drums l like.
By Danoc Sat May 02, 2020 6:36 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Actually, I wouldn't bring either. Because I would FTP all stems, so I don't have to waste any time. :lol:

Oh l feel you on that. I use to dat frequently back in the day but l deal with singers and l make jonts on the spot in front of them. They want certain chords and lm able to ask them what type of instruments they want. So its very hands on. But if l sent an artist a few tracjs over the net and they pick it, l would use your method then.
By CharlesRandolph Sat May 02, 2020 6:42 pm
Menco wrote:

I like the mood. Work on taming that low end below 100 hz. Is there an artistic reason you didn't slightly fade the end of the guitar sample? Seems like it would help keep the transitions smooth.

Also those three clicks on that guitar sample, are driving me crazy. :lol: They sound like little metal mallets. :lol:
By Menco Sat May 02, 2020 7:07 pm
Thanks.

Nah, I probably just missed that. Usually I use the envelopes to smooth things out.
With taming the low end, you mean it's too muddy? Or too aggressive? I pushed the filter on the bass to dirty it up, but maybe too much.

Now with this quarantine I have way more time on my hand . Last couple of weeks I did 3-5 beats a week. By that I mean that the final beat is maybe just a last edit session away from being complete. When I don't have to work I can do whole beat in a day. Finding the sample, make the loops and arrangement, print it out in Logic and edit and mix there. Unless I am really into it, then I don't want to switch from MPC to DAW.
By CharlesRandolph Sat May 02, 2020 7:24 pm
Menco wrote:Thanks.

Nah, I probably just missed that. Usually I use the envelopes to smooth things out.
With taming the low end, you mean it's too muddy? Or too aggressive? I pushed the filter on the bass to dirty it up, but maybe too much.

Yes, try backing off on the bass some. You could try small amounts of distortion on the bass. What are those three small metal clicks on the guitar? Did you use a sample from guitar and steel drum.

Menco wrote:Now with this quarantine I have way more time on my hand . Last couple of weeks I did 3-5 beats a week. By that I mean that the final beat is maybe just a last edit session away from being complete. When I don't have to work I can do whole beat in a day. Finding the sample, make the loops and arrangement, print it out in Logic and edit and mix there. Unless I am really into it, then I don't want to switch from MPC to DAW.

Let's talk.
By Menco Sat May 02, 2020 8:20 pm
Thanks, good to know. Advice to improve is always welcome. Low end is hard to hear for me sometimes with my setup in my non acoustically treated living room. Getting feedback from someone with a better pair of monitors in a better room gives me better idea of what I've been doing.

The clicks are probably percussion. Sample starts 15sec. in.

When I run into a good idea I can work quite fast. After posting previous post I ran into something nice and laid down for almost 80% of a beat. Tweaks, bring it over into Logic for postproduction and I can have this one finished for tomorrow.