Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Danoc Sat May 02, 2020 8:32 am
Laptop VS MPC live!

The way l see it the Live will lose. Im enjoying my laptop at the major stoo more than the live. Lets not talk about home l barely use the live at home. I can't make an entire track the wsy l want and use the instruments l need in the live. Just not happening.

I can't put this in the live standalone. Slap that on an insert in S1v4. and its GO TIME!
Funnyl wanted to start a thread about this days ago.

Let me be honest l have lost a lot of faith in Akai.

By Lampdog Sat May 02, 2020 12:18 pm
A lot of people will end up getting this.

Makes no sense to compare MPC to computer.

It’s comparing a trained gymnast who has access to any and all gyms in the world
along with the finest equipment to train on to a lil elementary school girl stuck doing decent cartwheels on the playground.

Compare that world class gymnast to another world class gymnast.

Compare the lil girl to another lil girl or boy in a different elementary school.
By Lumi Sat May 02, 2020 12:55 pm
Best or worst depends on what you are looking for and your taste.
Of course a high end super synth is better then a cheap plastic synth but countless dub masterpieces were made with 100 dollars cheap synths.
So your question just has a relative personal answer.
I used Ableton and Pro Tools for 10 years and more.
Now I use Mpc Live and Roland Mc101.
I lose many features maybe, but I am more then happy with my set.
By CharlesRandolph Sat May 02, 2020 1:02 pm
Perhaps instead of looking at it as, Laptop Vs MPC Live/X/One. Looking at it as a Laptop with MPC Live/X/One, would be more beneficial. However, this conversation would be easier to have, it the MPC Live/X/One sent MIDI and Audio over USB while in standalone.
By Lumi Sat May 02, 2020 1:10 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Perhaps instead of looking at it as, Laptop Vs MPC Live/X/One. Looking at it as a Laptop with MPC Live/X/One, would be more beneficial. However, this conversation would be easier to have, it the MPC Live/X/One sent MIDI and Audio over USB while in standalone.

Audio over usb would be a great feature, so we could send any track straight to a multitrack.
By CharlesRandolph Sat May 02, 2020 1:20 pm
Lumi wrote:Audio over usb would be a great feature, so we could send any track straight to a multitrack.

Yes! It's these standard features that are missing, which helps to streamline the workflow.
By EnochLight Sat May 02, 2020 1:34 pm
Lumi wrote:Audio over usb would be a great feature, so we could send any track straight to a multitrack.

Agreed! This is something most of Roland’s Aira gear has been able to do out of the gate. It’s a major blunder by Akai that they didn’t bake this into the MPC X/Live/One. And the fact that they can function as an audio interface suggests the hardware is easily capable.
By Eyalc Sat May 02, 2020 1:52 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:

Yes! It's these standard features that are missing, which helps to streamline the workflow.

Agreed. There are too many of these standard features missing. But that's why I'm confused when people celebrate Splice, plugins and "moving the platform forward". Fix these foundational issues and omissions first! Then add whatever the heck you want.

EDIT - and btw, I bought that plugin from WaveTracing... there is an issue with it on Catalina. For some it runs, for others it doesn't pass validation. For me, it didn't. Issued an immediate refund and said they'd prioritize resolution.
By Menco Sat May 02, 2020 2:06 pm
Lampdog wrote:A lot of people will end up getting this.

It’s comparing a trained gymnast who has access to any and all gyms in the world
along with the finest equipment to train on to a lil elementary school girl stuck doing decent cartwheels on the playground.

Compare the lil girl to another lil girl or boy in a different elementary school.

I just wanna play and make my hands dirty on the playground. Having unlimited gym acces doesn't mean a thing when you go to them, have too many things to try out and to set up and trying to improve on too many skills on way too many attributes (don't fear the man who has practiced 10.000 kicks once, fear the man who has practiced one kick 10.000 times) while loosing the fun of simple paying around. Although I really love it to have a gym with everything in my backyard when I need something, or need a mat trying to do a front flip in combination with cartwheel to try something different, or when it's time to learn a new skill.
But at the end of the day, I just want to be a master in doing cartwheels.
By Lumi Sat May 02, 2020 2:14 pm
EnochLight wrote:

Agreed! This is something most of Roland’s Aira gear has been able to do out of the gate. It’s a major blunder by Akai that they didn’t bake this into the MPC X/Live/One. And the fact that they can function as an audio interface suggests the hardware is easily capable.

Yeah aira staff is a master when it comes to this sort of things.
Roland has audio over usb, Tascam mixers has internal sd multitrack recording.
I think Akai should consider one of these two options, they would fasten the standalone workflow a lot and make everything easier.
I think for this you need skilled programmers, I am not sure about Akai ones.
I saw there is an arrangement mode floating around for Force, which could be a sort of multitrack internal recording also.
I hope Akai will come out with some fast solution on Mpc also, it would be great to have the chance to record on a multitrack on standalone. I don't like this exploding option so much.
By Danoc Sat May 02, 2020 3:02 pm
You didn't read my statement correctly.
Basically my statement is laptop vs MPC live, which one you would take to THE STUDIO/STOO.
Someone else mentioned they can do an entire track on a live but l can't due to the things l need. Bottom line is l'd rather take a laptop than a live to the stoo.

Lampdog wrote:A lot of people will end up getting this.

By Danoc Sat May 02, 2020 3:11 pm
For you, lm not willing to sacrifice my high end tools at a major studio for the live. Plus l am lookimg at ease of portability. As of now everyone knows l use the live just for drums.

A laptop l have more power and able to use a Powerful DAW , effects, and other 3rd party plugins. Not so with the MPC live standalone. And l dare not take both to achieve one goal.

Lumi wrote:Best or worst depends on what you are looking for and your taste.
Of course a high end super synth is better then a cheap plastic synth but countless dub masterpieces were made with 100 dollars cheap synths.
So your question just has a relative personal answer.
I used Ableton and Pro Tools for 10 years and more.
Now I use Mpc Live and Roland Mc101.
I lose many features maybe, but I am more then happy with my set.
By Danoc Sat May 02, 2020 3:14 pm
Laptop vs live, which one would you take to the major stoo.?
Last edited by Danoc on Sat May 02, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Danoc Sat May 02, 2020 3:21 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Perhaps instead of looking at it as, Laptop Vs MPC Live/X/One. Looking at it as a Laptop with MPC Live/X/One, would be more beneficial. However, this conversation would be easier to have, it the MPC Live/X/One sent MIDI and Audio over USB while in standalone.

Laptop WITH MPC live? :roll: Beneficial to who when going to the studio? So you mean to tell me Charles you will take a laptop and MPC live to the major stoo? The statement made was correct and not confused it with them both being carried together to transport to a major stoo.