Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Wholeness Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:49 am
Hi I’ve been using the 2500 with JJOS for a decade - sampling mainly vinyl. I always hated the sound quality overall compared the 2000XL i used to use. The filtering Quality is also horrible compared to the 2000XL and pitching samples up/down sounds manufactured and terrible compared to the 2000XL. Im trying to find a machine that has the weighty sound, deep filtering and natural sounding sample pitching of the 2000XL but with easier and more modern Technology to chop samples and add effects (in a stand-alone unit). I like the look (and price) of the MPC One a Lot. Is the sound a lot better than the MPC2500? Thank you
By Lampdog Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:44 pm
MPC One main audio out is not heavily colored by da/ad converters like 2kxl. I’m pretty sure you can get X, Live, One to sound like that using eq and/or other features.
By Menco Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:54 pm
Try out the software for free. See if you can get desired results with it’s filters and FX. The FX that comes with the software are the same as the ones inside the One in standalone mode.
By Wholeness Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:02 am
Thanks for your suggestions. I wondered if anyone new how it sounds in comparison to the 2500? I’m happy with the look of the MPC One’s workflow and effects, but I need a better sounding machine than the 2500. Something more like the weighty sound of the 2000XL, especially as I sample vinyl.

Does anyone know more of a direct comparison in overall sound between the two?

Thanks again
By Menco Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:14 am
No. I hade the Live next to my 2500. And there wasn’t that much difference in sound. I bet there won’t be any difference between One/ Live and 2500. Maybe there is a smalle difference, but like Lampdog said, it definitely won’t colour your sound. Everything after the 2000XL has a very clean, transparent sound. What goes in, does come out. So it will be all filters and FX to get a fatter sound. And that can definitely be produced with the One/ X / Live
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:28 am
Menco wrote:No. I hade the Live next to my 2500. And there wasn’t that much difference in sound. I bet there won’t be any difference between One/ Live and 2500. Maybe there is a smalle difference, but like Lampdog said, it definitely won’t colour your sound. Everything after the 2000XL has a very clean, transparent sound. What goes in, does come out. So it will be all filters and FX to get a fatter sound. And that can definitely be produced with the One/ X / Live

+1000!

The only difference, I've notice on the MPC 2000XL is the noise floor and cut top end. However, once the MPC 2000XL is calibrated, there's not much of a noticeable difference. The MPC one, live, and x filters are not smooth, they tend to add pops. So it's best to use the AIR EFFECT hf and lf filters. If the OP wants to cut the top end and boost the low. :nod:
By Wholeness Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:53 am
Thanks again for all the help. I Actually notice a huge difference in sound between the 2000XL sampling vinyl. The 2000XL sounds much warmer, louder and punchy. Pitching down samples sounds natural and filtering is weighty! On the 2500 If you pitch vinyl samples up or down it sounds horrific and the filtering has no low end weight at all. Such a shame as chopping and the general workflow on the 2500 are great.

I guess I’ll have to try the MPC One.
By NearTao Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:04 pm
Menco wrote:Maybe there is a smalle difference, but like Lampdog said, it definitely won’t colour your sound. Everything after the 2000XL has a very clean, transparent sound. What goes in, does come out.

The only real difference I see from the post 2kXL MPC's to what is out today is usually due to hardware age. Folks blasting how "LoFi" the MPC 500 or whatever is... it's like man... replace those caps, dust your 'ish off, and clean your ears!
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:17 pm
Wholeness wrote:Thanks again for all the help. I Actually notice a huge difference in sound between the 2000XL sampling vinyl. The 2000XL sounds much warmer, louder and punchy. Pitching down samples sounds natural and filtering is weighty! On the 2500 If you pitch vinyl samples up or down it sounds horrific and the filtering has no low end weight at all. Such a shame as chopping and the general workflow on the 2500 are great.

I guess I’ll have to try the MPC One.

Well here are the numbers between the two, the inputs impedance is lower and the Max output is 5 db higher on the 2500.

2500:

INPUTS:
1/4-inch stereo phone x 2, balanced -40dBu
input impedance 11k ohms;
Max. Input level +10dBu

OUTPUTS:
1/4-inch phone x 2 balanced +11dBu
output impedance 1k Ohms,
Max. output level +22dBu

1/4-inch phone x 8 balanced +11dBu
output impedance 1k Ohms
Max. output level +22dBu

2000XL:

INPUTS:
1/4-inch stereo phone x 2, balanced -40dBu,
input impedance 39kΩ;
Max input level +10dBu

OUTPUTS:
1/4-inch phone x 2
unbalanced +11dBu
output Imp.100Ω
Max. output level +17dBu

1/4-inch phone x 8,
unbalanced +11dBu
output Imp.100Ω (optional);
Max. output level +17dBu
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:25 pm
NearTao wrote:The only real difference I see from the post 2kXL MPC's to what is out today is usually due to hardware age. Folks blasting how "LoFi" the MPC 500 or whatever is... it's like man... replace those caps, dust your 'ish off, and clean your ears!

+10.

I'm not sure about the 500, the MAX outputs is something like +5db. :lol: But most people, haven't recapped their MPC 2000XL, so that so called warmth they're hearing, are the caps working at less than optimal.
By Menco Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:41 pm
And not to forget that when you have the Live/One/ X, you will probably rather export your beats instead of tracking them out through your outputs. So lack of ‘sound’ is on the user, not the quality of the hardware.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:48 pm
Yes, most people do export, instead of tracking the music to bypass the D/A or because it's simply faster. But they end up, spending twice the amount of time tweaking the music in software, just get that similar sound. :lol:
By Menco Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:38 pm
Funny thing is, I always had that problem when I still did track out through the assignable outs. Maybe the assignabel outs are of lesser or different quality than the main outs, or whatever the reason was. And for some odd reason everything that starts inside my 2500 sounds roughly the same once imported in Logic. :lol:
By 40Beatz Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:00 pm
Lampdog wrote:I’m pretty sure you can get X, Live, One to sound like that using eq and/or other features.