Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Menco Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:54 am

A side by side sound comparison between the MPC Live with the Vintage MPC60 plugin and the original 12bit cash register, also known as the MPC60II.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm
Menco wrote:A side by side sound comparison between the MPC Live with the Vintage MPC60 plugin and the original 12bit cash register, also known as the MPC60II.

He should've ran a 0db sine wave, through the inputs, to make sure each machine was at unity gain. But other then that the MPC LIVE tends to be a tad bit brighter, overall. Compared to the 60, 3000. 4000, and 2000XL. My guess it's the age of the components. Nevertheless, in a real blind test it would very difficult to tell.

For me to get the MPC ONE to match the 4000, I place an EQ on the outputs. Then slightly cut the highs and slightly boost low. :nod:
By Menco Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:14 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Menco wrote:A side by side sound comparison between the MPC Live with the Vintage MPC60 plugin and the original 12bit cash register, also known as the MPC60II.

He should've ran a 0db sine wave, through the inputs, to make sure each machine was at unity gain. But other then that the MPC LIVE tends to be a tad bit brighter, overall. Compared to the 60, 3000. 4000, and 2000XL. My guess it's the age of the components. Nevertheless, in a real blind test it would very difficult to tell.

For me to get the MPC ONE to match the 4000, I place an EQ on the outputs. Then slightly cut the highs and slightly boost low. :nod:

I ran the audio of the video through a spectrum analyzer to also see the difference. Seems like the 60 has a hard cut off around 15000-16000hz, a dip around 1800 and a boost in the 300-400 range. 60 also had more floor noise. And of course the 60 seems to compress the sound a little bit more as the tester stated.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:06 pm
Menco wrote:I ran the audio of the video through a spectrum analyzer to also see the difference. Seems like the 60 has a hard cut off around 15000-16000hz, a dip around 1800 and a boost in the 300-400 range. 60 also had more floor noise. And of course the 60 seems to compress the sound a little bit more as the tester stated.

Those numbers seem about right. So roll the highs, boost the mid and lows. The compression could be from the 12-bit sampler and 40kHz sampling rate. That's why the MPC LIVE captures more information. I wonder if the noise is from the power supply and older components?