Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Menco Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:27 am
richie wrote:
NearTao wrote:For every great point Marlow's making here... I find one point I'm scratching my head on...

I watched it as well. I was a bit confused why he was making this video when he already did one on the same topic a month before.

He did however say in the previous video that part of the reason why he got an XL is for the views.

Haven’t seen this one, but he responded to a reaction of mine on another video that put me off a bit.

Someone was asking what would be a great non X/Live/One MPC to buy coming from Mashine. I responded with the advise that a JJOS machine is probably the best one to buy. Marlow shot down my reaction and said the guy would be better off buying a 2kxl. :hmmm:
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:45 am
Menco wrote:
Haven’t seen this one, but he responded to a reaction of mine on another video that put me off a bit.

Someone was asking what would be a great non X/Live/One MPC to buy coming from Mashine. I responded with the advise that a JJOS machine is probably the best one to buy. Marlow shot down my reaction and said the guy would be better off buying a 2kxl. :hmmm:

A JJOS machine would be a great buy, that OS really shows how with continued development these machines can get better. With the amount of MPC out in the world and how every company is trying to be environmental friendly. It would make sense to charge and continue to update the older models. Not to mention supply OEM parts.
By David Scott Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:50 pm
I am thinking about getting a 4000. I have the 2000XL and was torn between the MPC One or the 4000. I feel that the 4000 is just increasing in value and if I wait two years from now, it's only going to get more expensive. I am torn between the two.
By Lampdog Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:57 pm
I have a 2kxl, 4K and X.

2 of those machines don’t even get touched anymore.

1 of them has currently been working exceptionally well for me.
Excluding a few non-brick wall bugs, I love the machine.
Pad banging exercises are going well.
By NearTao Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:09 pm
Yeah, given very specific tastes/requirements… the new MPCs knock most of the feature needs out of the park. For most people it feels like they focus on the nit issues… which understandably may not be nits for them, and real issues… but I think for the vast majority of people looking to step into the MPC line, there has never been a better time than now to hop on board and check out what all the fuss is about with the current product line. The X/Live definitely earn their keep, but the One is just such a steal at the $600-$700 mark it is crazy.
By T-Funk Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:06 pm
Good video.

I do not think I could return to a vintage MPC at this point. However, I sometimes wish I had purchased a MPC X over the MPC Live II.
By glide Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:10 pm
https://altruwest.com/2016/08/30/akai-m ... -maschine/

Do the new Akais deliver the same punch and low end as the 4000?

And how about 4k ripping vinyl at 24/96k.. Do the Nukais have the same crisp and detaile in sound..

The 4k has always been too me like the HiFi version of the 3k.. Deliveeing the same bangin punchy thumping sonics at a much higher rate..
By Sense-A Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:41 pm
I didn't watch his video. Assuming the topic is new mpcs vs old mpcs.

I think many people fallaciously believe that newer means better. Not true. My experience is that corporations try to find ways to make things cheaper and faster and often build things with cheaper parts that are made for obsolescence or to only last as long as the warranty lasts.

An old freezer from the 1950's has a start capacitor that lasts 50+ years. Buy a freezer today and it'll go out on ya within five years.

I bought an air compressor brand new in 2019. Had to replace motor run capacitor 2 months ago.

Older mpc's feel like they are built better. Like a classic American car from the 1960's.

Through hole components versus surface mount comes into place for repairability.

Gimmicks in new mpc's, such as large touch screens, seem like just that. Gimmicks.

I love my MPC 1000 and MPC 4000. But I wouldn't necessarily tell someone to get these. They both come with problems. MPC 1000 stock OS sucks and stock pads suck and tact switches fail and screen is ugly bright yellow/green. MPC 4000 contrast knob always comes loose or cracks pcb and the screen LCD is faulty. Neither interface well with PC.

Anyone asserting any strong opinions on this in a youtube video is going to draw ire because it's subjective and people have different criteria and tastes and workflows.
By robleighton22 Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:05 pm
Not sure I see how the touch screen on the new MPCs is a gimmick. It isn't, it just may not be your workflow preference. There is a lot that display enables that ppl prob take for granted. I love the simplicity of my S2400 OLED display for sure but my MPC One's workflow is centred around the touch screen. It's not a gimmick and sometimes has exceptional value, such as drawing automation.
By Lampdog Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:08 pm
Large touch screen isn’t a gimmick imo.
I always wanted a larger, color, touch screen on an mpc since 2001 when I bought my first triton (touch screen). It’s a big level of enjoyment for me, the automation drawing IS FUN.
By glide Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:22 am
https://altruwest.com/2016/08/30/akai-m ... -maschine/

Dont need to watch the video .. he is just explaining the recording process and what he did ; 2x layered Kicks and snares + Hihat sample loaded on all machines and sequenced, professianlly done/ levl matching,.. everything is tip top good interface .. the works

The results ... the sound comparison is on this page ... and the 4k smokes it ... it sounds massively more present and punchy mids and highs, tighter and more prominent in the lows, .. like the difference it not small at all..

Dont know what Akai did on the 4k outputs ..but they decided to go out with a bang .. wish the new ones sounded like this ... heard comparison where they sounded quite similar (NuAkais and 4k) comparison was done from triggering the same sample from trim mode so I dunno if the magic is in dynamic bandwith, coding/ summing...

It be nice if Lamp ... could try sampling the same break or two on both the X and 4k and make the same kit (layered drums, sequence the same beat ..everything as close as possible and upload it ... just to see if the 4k is actually so much superior sonically

:popcorn: 8) :smoker:
By Lampdog Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:27 am
Maaaaaannnn, Lampdog doesn’t care enough to do all that :lol:
By PillsInfinity Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:41 am
Lampdog wrote:Maaaaaannnn, Lampdog doesn’t care enough to do all that :lol:

God i kind of need you right now on my post in the 2500 section; would actually love to join this discussion though new mpc's are :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:
By illsmith Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:49 am
PillsInfinity wrote:
Lampdog wrote:Maaaaaannnn, Lampdog doesn’t care enough to do all that :lol:

God i kind of need you right now on my post in the 2500 section; would actually love to join this discussion though new mpc's are :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

Bullsh*t
By MPC-Tutor Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:00 am
robleighton22 wrote:Not sure I see how the touch screen on the new MPCs is a gimmick.

While the touchscreen can obviously be very useful, it can also come across as a bit of a marketing gimmick as it's often poorly implemented or under-utilised.

Many times it's simply too fiddly to use efficiently (e.g. grid edit). Drawing automation can be clunky and cramped, it looks cool in the marketing videos although I've seen vids where the Akai rep himself is having a nightmare getting the touchscreen to recognise his taps.

No drag re-ordering of tracks, fx inserts etc, pretty much a clear and obvious feature for a touchscreen. Mixer makes no thoughtful use of the touchscreen whatsoever, surely this should have had a vertical sliders & pots layout from day one, Most of this stuff dates back to the original MPC Touch release (8 years?).

Personally I think losing the cursor arrow navigation is a big loss, it was possible to develop very rapid workflows using nothing but buttons. Add a touchscreen with a cleverly designed UI and you have the best of both worlds.