Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By soulbooth Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:04 am
I have both an MPC 2000XL and an MPC 2500 with JJOS. I'm going to sell one of these however I'm having a hard time figuring out which one.

I like the 2000XL. It's behind a lot of my favorite records (NY hip hop). I find it limited compared to JJOS on a 2500 obviously, but it seems to have a better build quality.

The 2500 is so easy and fast, it's almost like working in a DAW (without the bells and whistles of one). I just worry one day my clumsy self is going to accidentally wack my hand or have something fall and knock one of these rotary knobs off the PCB since they're directly attached to the PCB and not going through part of the chassis like on the 2000XL.

The 2500 has zero sound coloration. 2000XL has a little bit of coloration but nothing that's heavily sought after and is still for the most part neutral.

I guess, rather than just asking you "which one would you sell if you were me?" (you may answer that way if you like), I'm wondering what pros and cons of each of these am I overlooking?
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:14 am
I'd keep the 2500, especially if you add one of the paid JJOS versions. More features, easier file management, etc. But that said, I'd probably sell both and just buy one of the current models, neither the XL onr 2500 have any special sound or mystical swing (oh dear, what have I said!), and you can adopt a similar workflow on the newer machines if you really want to.

Really cannot be dealing with all the repairs, limited features and clunky file management. it's all nice and romantic in theory, and yes people made some great music with the older MPCs, but for me I love the option of working standalone or controller mode/mpc software with all my favourite VSTs.
By Scrawny Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:12 am
soulbooth wrote:I have both an MPC 2000XL and an MPC 2500 with JJOS. I'm going to sell one of these however I'm having a hard time figuring out which one.

I like the 2000XL. It's behind a lot of my favorite records (NY hip hop). I find it limited compared to JJOS on a 2500 obviously, but it seems to have a better build quality.

The 2500 is so easy and fast, it's almost like working in a DAW (without the bells and whistles of one). I just worry one day my clumsy self is going to accidentally wack my hand or have something fall and knock one of these rotary knobs off the PCB since they're directly attached to the PCB and not going through part of the chassis like on the 2000XL.

The 2500 has zero sound coloration. 2000XL has a little bit of coloration but nothing that's heavily sought after and is still for the most part neutral.

I guess, rather than just asking you "which one would you sell if you were me?" (you may answer that way if you like), I'm wondering what pros and cons of each of these am I overlooking?

Which one do you actually use the most every day?
By soulbooth Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:14 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:I'd keep the 2500, especially if you add one of the paid JJOS versions. More features, easier file management, etc. But that said, I'd probably sell both and just buy one of the current models, neither the XL onr 2500 have any special sound or mystical swing (oh dear, what have I said!), and you can adopt a similar workflow on the newer machines if you really want to.

Really cannot be dealing with all the repairs, limited features and clunky file management. it's all nice and romantic in theory, and yes people made some great music with the older MPCs, but for me I love the option of working standalone or controller mode/mpc software with all my favourite VSTs.

Thank you for the response.

I got the MPCs because sometimes I just like to get away from a computer screen (I use Ableton and Cubase). I find a lot of similarities between Session View in Ableton and MPC sequencing. Also I like them for a live music jamming environment to bang out drums on (drum kits are loud and not portable). They also allow me to focus hard on making just a beat instead of distracting myself with dumb stuff like EQing a snare a million times (I get distracted very easily). With the DAWs I like to do full on composition work with live instruments.

I appreciate your advice. I may just stick with the 2500 then (I do have a paid version of JJOS on it).

Scrawny wrote:
Which one do you actually use the most every day?

I'd lean slightly more towards the 2500. I do actually go back and forth a lot.
By jvdm Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:33 pm
Hey @soulbooth. I'm currently using a MPC 1k with JJOS, and I'm looking to buy a 2000xl. My reasons for owning a second MPC is because I just want to work on the 2kxl along with a S3000xl. A second setup, with it's own set of restrictions and hence a "new" workflow. If you're going to pull the trigger selling your 2kxl, pls let me know. Cheers!
By Menco Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:05 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:I'd keep the 2500, especially if you add one of the paid JJOS versions. More features, easier file management, etc. But that said, I'd probably sell both and just buy one of the current models, neither the XL onr 2500 have any special sound or mystical swing (oh dear, what have I said!), and you can adopt a similar workflow on the newer machines if you really want to.

THIS!!!

Unless the ‘feel of a vintage machine’ is more important to you than functionality.
By Sense-A Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:26 pm
The MPC 2500 with JJOS is probably the best sequencer OS you'll find in a hardware sampler. It's fast, work flow is great.

The mpc 2000xl has better sound, but not by much. They both sample at 16-bit, 44.1 kHz. MPC 2000xl might have better downsampling capability. I cannot confirm or test.

I'd keep the MPC 2500 if I were in your shoes. Anything that breaks on the MPC 2500 is easy to repair and there's tons of available parts.

I have lots of rack samplers I'd trade you for the MPC 2500. I'd trade you a Kurzweil K2000RS or an Akai S1000 or an Akai S3000XL for your MPC 2500 with JJOS2XL. I'm willing to drive as far as 3 hours to make the trade. Where you located?
By SONS 360 Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:20 am
I'd sell dat 2500 there are many ways to simply over come the XL's 32mb limit either via DUAL EXHAUST in SYNC with an additional XL. The A and Right XL can be the MASTER while the B and Left XL is the slave. This setup makes POLY RHYTHM's ah breeze. While at the same time eliminating 32mb limit. Even thou the MAX version of the XL allows Time Signature changes within a sequence imagine switching in SYNC between A&B. One 3/4 time the other 4/4 time POLY RHYTHM for sure. You may have the means to try this out with the 2500, if it has DUAL MIDI PORTS LIKE THE XL DOES. For what it's worth LONG LIVE THE XL, am finding today's Drum machine can't even perform most simple task like dat.
By 40Beatz Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:04 pm
I'd Keep them Both...Work Mega Overtime, Get On The Block, or Make installment payments on something Newer!

Because you'll regret losing either the 2000XL or 2500. They all have different strong points which the other MPC's don't have!

Trust me....