Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By emperor bohe Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:28 pm
Hey everyone,

I'm mainly using an ASR-X Pro these days, but I'm sure you've heard about that sequencer...

Anywho, which MPC would you consider is the best from just a sequencing standpoint?
I still plan to use my ASR-X Pro (and SP-505) as my actual samplers/sound modules for now. I'm also an Ableton user but I really need a break from looking at computer screens right now. While I use a MPD26, I've barely used an actual MPC so all input would be great

This is what I've been considering:

MPC2000XL: I've wanted one of these since I was a teen, but always stopped myself for some reason. Tbh I'm biased because I've always lusted for one of these, and it just looks so nice (I know it's dumb but I gotta be attracted to the gear sometimes lol)

MPC1000 with JJOS: does the small form factor make menu diving more prevalent? Lemme know

MPC2500 with JJOS: seems like it has a lot of cool features, but damn it could be ugly

What do you think? 60 and 3000 are out of my price range. 4000 and 5000 seems giant and too much for just a sequencer. Not too keen on getting one of the new models because... well I don't have a good reason lol
By Lampdog Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:55 am
I had a red asr x pro, sold it for a lesser machine, 2kxl. SUPER HAPPY even tho 2kxl is weaker.
I have a 4k, played with a 3k many times with midi gear, 4k and 3k have the best sequencers imo.

Never touched a 2500, didn't like 1k.
Have X now and I haven't touched my 2kxl or 4k except for troubleshooting/helping people.
looking into selling my orange 2kxl but not just yet, I keep stopping myself.
By emperor bohe Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:25 pm
Lampdog wrote:I had a red asr x pro, sold it for a lesser machine, 2kxl. SUPER HAPPY even tho 2kxl is weaker.
I have a 4k, played with a 3k many times with midi gear, 4k and 3k have the best sequencers imo.

Never touched a 2500, didn't like 1k.
Have X now and I haven't touched my 2kxl or 4k except for troubleshooting/helping people.
looking into selling my orange 2kxl but not just yet, I keep stopping myself.

appreciate the insight! just out curiosity, what made you prefer the 4k and 3k's sequencers (and not like the 1k)? were there any specific sequencing features that made them stand out?
By DokBrown Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:34 pm
I think JJOS is a beast.
This dude squeezed so much out the 1k & 2500.
Put this screen on the 1k & you are in portable MIDI heaven.
https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-1000-xlcd- ... i-mpc1000/

the only thing that trumped it was the roland MV but it was not portable at all . . . . . .

what don’t you like about the ASR except the limited sampling time & no SD card ?
By emperor bohe Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:16 pm
if anyone is wondering, I ended up getting both an MPC 2000 classic and a MPC 2500. whoops lol.

MPC 2000 classic + ASR-X Pro is a dream, they compliment each other perfectly. ASR-X Pro as the sound module and MPC 2000 classic as the sequencer. 2000XL is probably even better but I got the 2000 Classic at a good price so I just went for it.

Gonna use the MPC 2500 standalone, JJOS is crazy good.
By DokBrown Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:21 pm
POST some beats when u get a chance !

I’m interested
By B-Wise Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:20 pm
So how have u been liking the MPC's?
Which has the better sequencer & why?
Which one sound better & why?
If u had to let one go what would u keep?

I got the MPC-1000 in 2005, traded it for a 2500 (both had JJ 2xl) but as i got more advance in sampling I grew to hate using the MPC's as a sequencer (once u start making beats with 26 sequences it become too tedious to edit & arrange beats) so I got the Yamaha RS7000 which is WAYYYYY better as a sequencer (clip base sequencer) but sucks a sampler...so kept the MPC cuz it's combo of sampling time/editing/management in a hardware unit is really dope.

Later I got the Squarp Pyramid to be my main sequencer which is like a modern RS7000.
But last summer I got the Force (was planing on getting the MPC X but when they updated the Force it became the better choice for me), so know I'm trying to learn how to best use them together.
So far I see the Pyramid as the left-side of the brain & the force as the right...still a work in progress.
I could go into more detail if u like but I don't want to hijack your tread.
Peace
By dstengle Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:42 pm
B-Wise wrote:So how have u been liking the MPC's?
Which has the better sequencer & why?
Which one sound better & why?
If u had to let one go what would u keep?

I got the MPC-1000 in 2005, traded it for a 2500 (both had JJ 2xl) but as i got more advance in sampling I grew to hate using the MPC's as a sequencer (once u start making beats with 26 sequences it become too tedious to edit & arrange beats) so I got the Yamaha RS7000 which is WAYYYYY better as a sequencer (clip base sequencer) but sucks a sampler...so kept the MPC cuz it's combo of sampling time/editing/management in a hardware unit is really dope.

Later I got the Squarp Pyramid to be my main sequencer which is like a modern RS7000.
But last summer I got the Force (was planing on getting the MPC X but when they updated the Force it became the better choice for me), so know I'm trying to learn how to best use them together.
So far I see the Pyramid as the left-side of the brain & the force as the right...still a work in progress.
I could go into more detail if u like but I don't want to hijack your tread.
Peace

Could you say more about this? I switched to the Force and I like it but I've been thinking of using an external midi processor (I have the hermod so particularly interested in how your pyramid fits in).
By emperor bohe Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:51 pm
DokBrown wrote:POST some beats when u get a chance !

I’m interested

Scrawny wrote:Yeah I'd like to hear as well :nod:

My bad about the super late response! I made a video showing what my work flow looks like with a MPC2000 + ASR-X Pro (at least for when I'm making hip hop). Check it out:

By Lampdog Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:41 am
+1 for the PS1. Fixed the youtube link.

Nice beat. New mpc’s could refine that whole workflow imo. Less running around the place. You can accomplish all the same things in 1 machine imo.

Chopping specifically is a MUCH nicer experience on a touch screen, every slice waveform right in front of you.
By emperor bohe Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:36 pm
Lampdog wrote:+1 for the PS1. Fixed the youtube link.

Nice beat. New mpc’s could refine that whole workflow imo. Less running around the place. You can accomplish all the same things in 1 machine imo.

Chopping specifically is a MUCH nicer experience on a touch screen, every slice waveform right in front of you.

thanks! i'm a weird person that is not a fan of chopping with a visual waveform. i find that i try to make my chops too perfect when i see the waveform, whereas with percentage based chopping like on the ASR-X i can just get a feel for it. i get some happy accidents with percentage based chopping. even in the video that i linked above, i definitely would not have chopped that the same way with an accesible visual waveform.

i'm also liking the slower workflow of the ASR-X + MPC2000. i've been using Ableton for most of the last decade and i felt that i was just rushing through everything, but now i can just relax and take my time. it's been mostly a mental mindstate change for me, but one that i'm enjoying a the moment.

dryad-66 wrote:The Yamaha RM1X is amazing….

it is! it has some great sequencing features, and i'm a fan of shaping the onboard corny late 90's sounds into something usable lol.
By Lampdog Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:09 pm
emperor bohe wrote:.. percentage based chopping like on the ASR-X.

I have an asr10 since 1994, I know the feeling. Not as precise but feels perfect.
It’s part of the inaccurate magic of asr’s.

on some of the waveforms I leave random extra space before sound starts, this puts that inaccurate feel in there.