Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By David Scott Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:35 am
I have never owned a new generation MPC. Without any experience or point of reference for either machine, which MPC would be the better option. Assuming that pricing isn't an issue and being portable isn't a major necessity for me, which would be the better option. From what I have read, there is less need to use the touch screen with the MPC One than with the Live II, but I also read that through the use of shortcuts using the shift key, the Live II is almost just as navigable as the MPC One. Whatever input this forum can share would be much appreciated.
By Goochallday Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:05 am
Hard to say with any level of certainty. I have become used to the MPC One and feel like the buttons as much as the pads make it feel like a MPC. Feel is important. However, my next move will be the Live II for quality of life improvements like internal drives and 2x USB ports. I will keep my MPC One though for the smaller footprint. Money not being a factor, I would choose the Live II from the outset.
By 40Beatz Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:16 pm
Basically its all about your Pockets and if you plan on moving about, with your MPC.

Pockets Short, More Buttons(Flip Phone Style), Less Storage Options... = MPC One

Pockets Deeper, Less Buttons(Touch Screen Phone Style), more Storage Options, Ext Speaker, PORTABLE = MPC Live II

Pockets Deep Deep, More Buttons/QLinks, Bigger Screen, More I/O options, Storage, Stationary = MPC X
By EnochLight Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:42 pm
David Scott wrote:I have never owned a new generation MPC. Without any experience or point of reference for either machine, which MPC would be the better option. Assuming that pricing isn't an issue and being portable isn't a major necessity for me, which would be the better option. From what I have read, there is less need to use the touch screen with the MPC One than with the Live II, but I also read that through the use of shortcuts using the shift key, the Live II is almost just as navigable as the MPC One. Whatever input this forum can share would be much appreciated.

I've had an MPC One, my close friend now has an MPC One, and I have the MPC Live II. I'd go for the Live II any day of the week, but my reasons may or may not be important to you:

• Live II allows you to install an SSD, which offers the best performance (I hate having to worry about SD Cards and USB sticks)
  • Live II has built-in WiFi and Bluetooth (which lets me use Ableton Link with other wireless instruments, of which I have a few). I hate being tethered with CAT5 cable, and you don't ever need that with Live II.
  • The battery. Simply put - it makes it 100% mobile as well as serves as an Uninterruptible Power Supply. I've had the power fluctuate in my area on occasion, and knowing that I'll never lose progress when the grid decides to take a crap gives me great confidence. And being able to take my MPC onto the couch, or the patio, or the park or the beach - it's just awesome.
  • The built-in speaker. It really is a valuable addition that I never knew I'd rely on so much. I don't always want to carry around a set of cans or have it hooked up in my studio, and being able to just turn it on and start jamming is brilliant.
  • Bigger pads. They're not huge by comparison, but the MPC One has smaller pads (like the Key 61), and I have sausage fingers, so the bigger pads on the Live II work better for me.

At one point, all of the additional hardware buttons on the One were tempting, but with the latest 2.11 update and the fact that I can customize my shortcuts, and now have the slide-out menu - I don't miss them.

YMMV, but that's my 2 cents.
By Lampdog Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:14 am
Dedicated buttons.

Internal hdd, battery, physical outputs, speaker, less buttons.
By kja Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:34 pm
Another thing rarely mentioned, the live 2 buttons were designed for live use and once you get good with them they are awesome for live use. Big squishy buttons that click too, it is hard to accidently hit the wrong button on stage with the live 2.
By LivePsy Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:14 pm
kja wrote:Another thing rarely mentioned, the live 2 buttons were designed for live use and once you get good with them they are awesome for live use. Big squishy buttons that click too, it is hard to accidently hit the wrong button on stage with the live 2.

Agree! The feel of the buttons are great on the LIVE.
By Christov Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:16 am
About a year ago Ihad the same question that you have. I ended up getting the One. The Live looked good, but I don't need a internal battery or a speaker really, so I couldn't justify the pricedifference personally. Plus the layout of the One made more sense to me coming from a 2500.

https://www.mpc-tutor.com/mpc-buyers-gu ... -vs-mpc-x/

This article really helped me out.
By TT_Lab Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:08 pm
I've had the MPC Touch that has the same feeling and layout as the Live II a couple less buttons. Then I got the One, because I prefer the clicky buttons, they are better IMO for memory muscle. And the One have more dedicated buttons. I can say that I feel that the mushy buttons on the Live are not for me and got me less prone to use the MPC.
I love the One, but if I had space I'll buy the X. But space is a problem for me so the One fits perfect.
Also the layout of the One is better thought for the MPC workflow than the Live.
I also have an external battery for 80$ for when I want to go to the couch to do some beats.
I don't miss bigger pads.
Anyway, make a pick and you won't regret it.