Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By OKJoy Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:49 am
What's up MPC forums, die hard MPC 1000 user here, considering trying out an MPK Mini plus daw (dunno what daw, maybe ableton).

I'm comfortable working with the 1k. I have my workflow and sample organization on point, and I chose the 1K because it's portable and I wanted to have that authentic hardware feel.

Can anyone let me know, what would be the advantages of working within a daw with a controller like the MPK mini? Is there any daw you could recommend for someone who is used to the MPC 1k os?

My only complaint about the 1k is that when I'm going through stored samples that I want to add to a track I'm working on, a lot of times the internal memory runs out. But in this case, I audition all the necessary samples and purge whatever I don't need and continue looking for suitable samples.

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!
By OKJoy Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:25 pm
cool, thanks Lampdog and Christov.

I spose the video will answer this question, but still wondering what reaper and a controller would do better than the MPC 1000, in terms of sample organization, workflow, creativity, drum programming, basslines and such

definitely appreciate the recommend though
By Menco Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:20 pm
Daw simply has way more features and file management is way more convenient. Plus you can use any plugin and VST you want with Reaper. You can have some multi sample instrument on the 1000, but they are a bit harder to find these days. (Think Tutor still sells them.) Plus it saves the hassle of tracking out and midi syncing the MPC with your computer. Simple objective facts.

That being said, what feels like a better workflow and sparks more creativity is subjective. But I think going for the 1000 is only the better option his only if you really, really prefer hardware despite having less features and outdated technology. (And make sure you’re prepared to maybe get some maintenance and repairs done.)
By OKJoy Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:46 pm
Menco wrote:Daw simply has way more features and file management is way more convenient. Plus you can use any plugin and VST you want with Reaper. You can have some multi sample instrument on the 1000, but they are a bit harder to find these days. (Think Tutor still sells them.) Plus it saves the hassle of tracking out and midi syncing the MPC with your computer. Simple objective facts.

That being said, what feels like a better workflow and sparks more creativity is subjective. But I think going for the 1000 is only the better option his only if you really, really prefer hardware despite having less features and outdated technology. (And make sure you’re prepared to maybe get some maintenance and repairs done.)

thanks man, this is great info!
By SakisX Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:38 pm
Since you are familiar with MPC workflow maybe try MPC Beats software which is free or grub an old MPC Studio Black with the MPC Software 2.x (you'll need Windows 10, since the controller isn't supported on latest MacOS )
also check on youtube the new MPC Studio (MKII)
Reaper is great DAW (my favorite) , but it's not like a "groovebox"
If Geist2 was still supported I'd recommend giving a try , but definitely try Zenbeats by Roland , you can demo the software for one month and it's like a simple version of Ableton with clip recording/launching (you can also use linear recording) plus in latest updates it has a sampler where you can slice samples
Worth mentioning Poise Vst which is now free