Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By hoodeu Wed May 17, 2006 4:25 pm
I've been looking at these forums for quite some time but this is my first post. I'm into production and i'm looking forward to buying an mpc. Through the comparision threads I've notice that people often talk about the different sound each mpc has. It would be cool if someone who owns multiple mpcs made a .mp3 file in witch he plays the same, lets say, 4bars sample with different mpc just so we can see(hear) what kind of difference there is in the sound...

By young_keyz Wed May 17, 2006 5:42 pm
ill tell ya this. no matter what mpc you use the sound of it alone will not equal a hit song! Youll be at your best with the lastest mpc!

By hoodeu Wed May 17, 2006 7:11 pm
I'm also just curious to see want kind of difference they're talking about

By Groove66 Fri May 19, 2006 4:24 am
MPC 1000, 2500, 4000 = Clean, Crisp, Transparent sound. The 4K sounds superb. These newer mpcs sound clynical.

MPC 2000/XL = Rugged, Punchy, Midrange heavy, sometimes tinny on certain snares, but very tight sounding and cuts threw mixes very well.

MPC 3000 = Low fi, dull, not as crisp, it has a shelved top end, and tends to sound more fuller in the low end as a result, with a smooth punch on kicks.

MPC 60 = Crusty, Hard Hitting sound, but not very clean or crisp like the newer mpcs.

By pt3r Fri May 19, 2006 7:05 am
Groove66 wrote:MPC 1000, 2500, 4000 = Clean, Crisp, Transparent sound. The 4K sounds superb. These newer mpcs sound clynical.

MPC 2000/XL = Rugged, Punchy, Midrange heavy, sometimes tinny on certain snares, but very tight sounding and cuts threw mixes very well.

MPC 3000 = Low fi, dull, not as crisp, it has a shelved top end, and tends to sound more fuller in the low end as a result, with a smooth punch on kicks.

MPC 60 = Crusty, Hard Hitting sound, but not very clean or crisp like the newer mpcs.

You could write wine reviews J/K :lol: :lol: :lol:

By djdynasty Wed May 24, 2006 7:58 pm
I disagree with your comment on the mpc 3000, Dull sounding... I dont think so. It is a 16 bit machine that adds bottom to your samples. Lo fi would better describe the 12 bit mpc 60, not the 3000. Why do you think the 3000 still goes for $1500 used. The 3000/60 are still the best sounding mpcs hands down. The MPC 2000/2000xl have a bright, Flat sound with no bottom. If it was rugged and punchy, I would still owe it.

By Grouphome Thu May 25, 2006 9:07 am
I think the 2000 converters sound more neutral
they have better converters in them
also like the converters of the 3000 but they are not so good and that is what gives them their sound

By Groove66 Thu May 25, 2006 3:32 pm
If you disagree, thats not my problem.

The 3000 has old grade AD-DA's in them, and they do sound darker in comparison to todays mpcs. Thats not a bad thing though.

If you take a standard kick drum, and shelve some top end with an EQ, your ears are easily fooled by the resulting sound, i.e. you hear the depth of the low end much more.

Before you ask, i have use a 3000 and an Le many many times, and i know its sound inside out.

Have you even heard the 4000, 2500, 1000? You do know, the 3k doesnt have the new crsipness of these machines. Does it matter...hell no.

BTW the 2000XL does have a rugged sound (kind of agressive), and it does have a punch to it too, and you are right...it doesnt go low (and i didnt say it did).

Remember 'Punch' is not the same as 'Fat low end'.

And yeah, the 3000's price is highly over rated, Mr Roger Linn told me that in person...i kid you not.

FWIW i wouldnt pay more than £500 for one, and i have passed up many times.

By The Maker Fri May 26, 2006 6:30 pm
Groove66 wrote:
The 3000 has old grade AD-DA's in them, and they do sound darker in comparison to todays mpcs. Thats not a bad thing though.

The newer units have a more brittle sound related to cheaper more generic type converters.
Not really a bad sound, because it's what's being used in so many new products, meaning you hear a similar sound quite often.
If you look at specs it might go unnoticed but the quality of the converters is cheaper, but that's just the industry norm now.
If you like their sound good, if you hate their sound that's also ok.
It's just a choice.

Groove66 wrote:If you take a standard kick drum, and shelve some top end with an EQ, your ears are easily fooled by the resulting sound, i.e. you hear the depth of the low end much more.

That process will muffle the sound more than boost the lowend.
The actual rolloff may be different on the converters.

Groove66 wrote:Have you even heard the 4000, 2500, 1000? You do know, the 3k doesnt have the new crsipness of these machines.

The 4000 has a crisp more defined sound than the others, they have a more digital sound.
Not the quality digital sound but a digitized sound.
Listen to the resonance on the XL to understand how digital it sounds.

Groove66 wrote:BTW the 2000XL does have a rugged sound (kind of agressive), and it does have a punch to it too,

I would have to ask compared to what.
Just can't find anything aggressive or punchy about the XL's sound
If you want to take the time to tweak and tweak and then tweak some more the XL, 1000 or 2500 can sound big, full or anything else, but to some people that's counter productive.

I really can't figeure what's worse new MPC owners arguing about the new units being better or old MPC owners arguing the other side of the coin?
People who own both will tell you it doesn't really matter.
The strongest points for the new units are the ones no one ever uses like price, connectivity and more of a all in one type box
If you aren't the type to use one box for everything then the newer units may never appeal to you.
The newer MPC are being forced to migrate, it's the only way they can compete with the Triton, Fantom, Motif or software.

I just wish people could offer information in these comparison threads without going straight to calling someone wrong because they prefer a certain MPC.

We should all how that the new Akai survives and continues to offer new products.

By Groove66 Fri May 26, 2006 8:16 pm
So your gonna teach me MPC's now :lol:

Go back and look at the stuff you have written, and ask yourself where you went wrong.

Learn the art of EQ, a shelve is often used to bring out the best of some frequencies, i.e. kick drums. Never said boosting.

I know what a 4k sounds like, i have owned 3 of them, and still love my 4k plus.

the XL has its own sound, some like it, love it, hate it. I use mine on certain drum types where i need its mid peaky sound, and i do describe it as being kind of agressive (if you know what it means), much more than any newer mpc inc the 4k.

BTW people who own more than 1 mpc are the ones who can actually share thier views and opinions, including myself.

By The Maker Sat May 27, 2006 1:52 am
Groove66 wrote:So your gonna teach me MPC's now :lol:

Go back and look at the stuff you have written, and ask yourself where you went wrong.

Learn the art of EQ, a shelve is often used to bring out the best of some frequencies, i.e. kick drums. Never said boosting.

I know what a 4k sounds like, i have owned 3 of them, and still love my 4k plus.

the XL has its own sound, some like it, love it, hate it. I use mine on certain drum types where i need its mid peaky sound, and i do describe it as being kind of agressive (if you know what it means), much more than any newer mpc inc the 4k.

BTW people who own more than 1 mpc are the ones who can actually share thier views and opinions, including myself.

My response was about the sound of converters.
I associated your statement about EQ to the effect of the difference in the sound produced by the XL's converters not directly to your kick drum statement.
They have a very distinct rolloff that gives the bottom end a very different sound.
Very similar to the sound I can get if I rip something from a CD and use MPCeditor to put it in the 3000 compared to sampling that same song directly into the 3000.
The 3000 with a ripped sample sounds really close to the sound of the XL frequency wise.

Still can't get your view on the XL being aggressive, again I ask compared to what?
Are you speaking just in the way of the MPC's that have come since the XL and mordern forms of sampling?

No, actually people who owned more than 1 MPC are the one's who can turn on a MPC and not have to second guess which one is better since they really know.

By RealWorldDealings Sat May 27, 2006 1:59 am
Groove66 wrote:

stop lying....Punchy???? good lord....The lack of the punchiness was the reason for the backlash when these machines were released...60 has punch....

This message has been approved by Boogie Man...

By Groove66 Sat May 27, 2006 2:12 am
[/quote]

No, actually people who owned more than 1 MPC are the one's who can turn on a MPC and not have to second guess which one is better since they really know.

[/quote]

You see, thats the problem with MPCs, there is no such thing as better. Every single MPC (as a unit) has its own character...let alone the different models.

I have gone through so many mpcs and returned many, i have totally lost count.

Why do you think Dre uses 5/6 3000's...im pretty sure he knows each one has subtle differences.

By Groove66 Sat May 27, 2006 2:23 am
RealWorldDealings wrote:
Groove66 wrote:

stop lying....Punchy???? good lord....The lack of the punchiness was the reason for the backlash when these machines were released...60 has punch....

This message has been approved by Boogie Man...
#

Maybe i have a modified XL :wink:

FWIW my XL has more punch then my 4000 and past 1000 that i have owned.

BTW i dont like the sound of the 60 myself, that horrible 12 bit stuff...not for me.