Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Vincepro Thu May 18, 2006 10:03 pm
Seeing a MPC2500 in person, I was shocked at how poor the build quality is and how cheap the thing feels. It seems like it's built out of thin plastic and the jog wheel reminds me of this Fisher Price toy I had when I was a kid. Coming home to a 4000 made me feel like I was living in the lap of luxury. Now if they could bring 4000 users an improved OS, it would blow my mind why anyone would want to pay full price for a 2500 over a used, much cheaper 4000.

By AWW_NAWW Fri May 19, 2006 2:20 am
if you think the 2500 is cheaply made wait till you see the next gen flagship mpc

By Vincepro Fri May 19, 2006 2:56 am
Is it supposed to be even worse? What does someone else think about this issue? I thought the 2500 is clearly the cheapest unit of all the models and it was shocking to me that they are selling these as well as they are...

By AWW_NAWW Fri May 19, 2006 3:25 am
I wouldnt go as far as to say they are fragile just because they are made of plastic. I meean Glocks are made of plastic and they do alright..... :lol:

By Vincepro Fri May 19, 2006 3:28 am
haha..Its not really that they're plastic. They just feel really cheap to me. Kind of like when 3000 users were talking about how the 2000xl was cheap, but the 2500 seems way worse. That click wheel is horrid.

By Groove66 Fri May 19, 2006 4:10 am
I know what you mean.

The 2500 is like a Numark product. I thought i would go and have another look at it in my local store, but like before i walked away. Its nothing like my 4k or even like my old trusty xl.

Its like a laptop, very flimsy. And that click wheel...wow...still echos in my ears.

As for sound and feel, i say its on par with the other traditional mpcs. I still prefer my 4k for feel (but i have my reasons).

By CHARLIEPLATNUM Fri May 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Groove66 wrote:I know what you mean.

The 2500 is like a Numark product. I thought i would go and have another look at it in my local store, but like before i walked away. Its nothing like my 4k or even like my old trusty xl.

Its like a laptop, very flimsy. And that click wheel...wow...still echos in my ears.

As for sound and feel, i say its on par with the other traditional mpcs. I still prefer my 4k for feel (but i have my reasons).

I felt the same way when I played on a 2500, just seemed light in the A$$ to me...It might feel a lil more sturdy with the hard drive and CD/RW installed though.

By Ajax Mon May 22, 2006 5:38 pm
I don't know.

I have an xl and a 2500. The 2500 is a bit smaller than the xl... but its just as sturdy. In fact its a couple pounds heavier than the xl.

The data wheel has that clicky feature to it...but its grown on me, actually. I prefer it now to the xl wheel.

All in all, the 2500 is a much better machine than the xl to me...waaaay more features in a more compact frame.

The 1000 is easily the least sturdy of the mpc's.

ronJ

By Spirez Mon May 22, 2006 5:45 pm
I dont see the problem with the 2500, it feels solid enough to me.

Definitely not plasticy, the whole case is metal!

Only complaint is that the CF card slot can be a bit of a pain to get the card into but the rest feels spot on.

I haven't really messed with any others apart from an XL and to me it feels just as good.

By CHARLIEPLATNUM Mon May 22, 2006 5:49 pm
Ajax wrote:I don't know.

I have an xl and a 2500. The 2500 is a bit smaller than the xl... but its just as sturdy. In fact its a couple pounds heavier than the xl.

The data wheel has that clicky feature to it...but its grown on me, actually. I prefer it now to the xl wheel.

All in all, the 2500 is a much better machine than the xl to me...waaaay more features in a more compact frame.

The 1000 is easily the least sturdy of the mpc's.

I wasn't saying it wasn't sturdy, I was just shocked at how light it was....from the looks of it, I thought it would have more weight to it. Well maybe what I mean to say is...it felt hollow...I kind of like the click wheel....the clicks make it seem acurrate some how.

ronJ

By Spirez Mon May 22, 2006 5:57 pm
Thing is though, with the extra q links and stuff the 2500 is the perfect live machine so it's good that it isn't a tank, light enough to carry. I wouldn't say it's too light, sits on my desk and doesn't move about.

Its half a kilo heavier than an XL too

By young_keyz Mon May 22, 2006 7:55 pm
i just feel if you learn to take care of ya shyt...you should have no problem

By CHARLIEPLATNUM Mon May 22, 2006 7:59 pm
young_keyz wrote:i just feel if you learn to take care of ya shyt...you should have no problem

YEAH! wifey says I care more about my gear than her and the kids...How does a person become jealous of objects??? I can see if it was another BROAD! lol

By Antonym Mon May 22, 2006 9:33 pm
honestly i think the build materials of the 1000 is tougher than the 2500 (other than pads).

that being said, the 1000 is built so tough it'd survive a train wreck.

so in the end, the 2500 is built fine. i wouldn't be worried about the plastic surface.

By The Maker Mon May 22, 2006 10:51 pm
The 1000 and 2500 are built lighter than the older units, but built pretty good by the current standards.
They should be fine in a stationary setup and any MPC you plan to gig around should be in a case regardless of the model.
That lillte bit of change can be a life safer.
I've seen gear survive accidents that the owner didn't.