Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By strength Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:48 pm
wassup peoples. i have a question, any feedback would be appreciated, i have a 2k, and been thinkin a bunch about swithchin to 1000 for the fx , portability, memory card options etc..., i cant afford it unless i sell the 2k so question is what would i be sacrificing as far as features if anything. does it have "zone edit" or just a basic trim beginning and end point?, can u pitch samples up and down by 240% like the 2k?

By Antonym Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:10 pm
zone edit.

i'm moving this to the conveniently titled "mpc comparison"

By strength Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:12 pm
thanks but can i get around that by resampling it, or makin copies and then trimmin them ?

By ucacjbs Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:00 pm
Don't know the 2Kxl really, but I'd suggest taking a look at the .pdf manual from akaipro.com (the support section) to find out what the 1k can do. If zone edit is like the 1k's slice mode, then there are some similarities. One thing missing from the 1k is the ability to insert parts of one sample into another.

By Lampdog Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:36 am
ucacjbs wrote:but I'd suggest taking a look at the .pdf manual from akaipro.com (the support section) to find out what the 1k can do.

By _casio Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:58 am
do you have a 2000 or 2000xl ??
i would have to double check (as i do not own a 1000), but i believe i read the 1000 can zone a sample into 64ths.

By Lampdog Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:17 am
ucacjbs wrote:but I'd suggest taking a look at the .pdf manual from akaipro.com (the support section) to find out what the 1k can do.

By _casio Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:47 am
the pdf file (http://www.akaipro.com/MPC_Comparison_Chart.pdf) from akaipro.com is about as useful for research on an MPC's features as it is for trying to find the realistic cost for a new unit. it tells so little about the MPCs in a sense. says the 1000 doesn't have timestretch, slice etc or that its pads crap out. doesn't mention the 2500's system error. the 2000xl is pretty much the same as it was years ago, so i assume that's all right. i don't know anything about the 4000 except for my last point; all those msrps are just that. they're not accurate representations of what you would expect to spend in a store.
sorry for the long rant, just wanted to emphasize how 'overrated' and slightly inaccurate that chart is.

By Lampdog Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:54 am
The chart is about the base model of the mpc's, not the os upgrades and what not.

A realistic price is whatever the vendor puts on the gear. Different vendors, different prices, that's realistic. Akai has their price they want for the gear and the vendor add on from their. You will NEVER get an accurate price unless you call the vendor, many vendors.

Ranting is cool sometimes, it's help the blood get to circulating.

By strength Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:43 am
thanks fellas, i got 2000 classic not the xl, about to cop a used 1k later today, i was just curious about the zone edit thing cause i know the 1k can chop a loop into 64ths but i thgink it does it automatically which is different from zone edit where u get to choose what portion to chop and make into a new sample which is a feature that i use a lot but i can probab;ly get around it by makin a bunch of copies of the sample, or resamplin it and then trimmin the start and end points differently on the copies :?: good lookin out

By ucacjbs Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:49 am
@_casio

The comparison chart is not up-to-date. That's why it's better to check the manuals, which are up-to-date and contain much more detailed information on any particular aspect that you might be most interested in.

@strength

I'm sure you'll have fun with the 1k - if it's not already running it, make sure to update to the latest OS (2.1) from Akai's website - be sure to read the update instructions that are also posted there in order for that process to go smoothly. If you update to 2.1, grab the pdf manual too, since the (many) new OS features are not in the version 1 manual.

You can select which part to split on the 1k. Go to 'trim' mode, extract the region to a new sample, and then chop that into any number of slices you fancy (I think the least is 2, the most 64?). Or, just chop the original sample and then move the slice boundaries until they match what you want.

By strength Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:08 pm
cool thanks . and yea its already runnin version 2.1