Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.

By Lampdog Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:56 am
I am no where near my mpc right now and won't be for another few weeks, sorry. I gotta do some in country traveling over here.

By nik Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:21 am
jaem wrote:testing freq response with ur method is a very limited test and proves...welll....not much

It proves... well... uh... the frequency response! Next time, try to CONTRIBUTE to the conversation.

jaem wrote:not to $hit on ur parade but there are like a million factors at work when it comes to sound quality......

yeh... and....uh.... frequency response is like... uh... the most important!

But choose to stay in ignorance if you like, to be honest, I am past caring now, seems no one is really interested in this.

By _Stilo_ Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:56 pm
nik wrote:
jaem wrote:testing freq response with ur method is a very limited test and proves...welll....not much

It proves... well... uh... the frequency response! Next time, try to CONTRIBUTE to the conversation.

But you are aware that frequency response is influenced by the whole signal chain? Mixer, cables, soundcard...and I guess everybody here has a different setup in that respect.

Stilo.

By nik Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:47 pm
_Stilo_ wrote:
nik wrote:

But you are aware that frequency response is influenced by the whole signal chain? Mixer, cables, soundcard...and I guess everybody here has a different setup in that respect.

Stilo.

I am very aware of that, I have been a sound engineer with 15 years commercial experence, 40 albums, film soundtracks under my belt, designed and built analogue audio equipment myself...

This was why in my test, I measured my mixing desk as a seperate test, so I could see how that was affecting the measurments. This is also why I asked anyone who wanted to do this test to do the same measurment on their mixing desk / converter setup, so we could compensate for it. Things like cables should show no frequency anomolies for the normal studio runs and for standard cable, if a cable has a frequency response that is not flat, it is a very badly designed cable. We shouldn't get into the hifi mentality for this test, if we were to do that, we would have all MPC's set up in a listening room, with some blind ABX testing system (can be arranged!).

Anyway, this isn't the most acurate test, to do that I would get all MPC's into a lab and run proper tests. This is just some fun and an interesting test for people to do, if anyone can be bothered! This is a quick-and-cheerfull 5 minute test to get a rough sketch of what happens to audio in MPC's.

By jaem Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:43 pm
nik wrote:

jaem wrote:not to $hit on ur parade but there are like a million factors at work when it comes to sound quality......

yeh... and....uh.... frequency response is like... uh... the most important!

But choose to stay in ignorance if you like, to be honest, I am past caring now, seems no one is really interested in this.

importance means nothing without relevance....ur test is not very relevent to the whole picture, thus the importance of the freq spectrum is kinda useless being that it is not accurate down to the varible u are trying to test

fyi, i am contributing....dont be madd cuz u dont like my contribution :idea:

By nik Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:47 pm
jaem wrote:importance means nothing without relevance....ur test is not very relevent to the whole picture, thus the importance of the freq spectrum is kinda useless being that it is not accurate down to the varible u are trying to test

fyi, i am contributing....dont be madd cuz u dont like my contribution :idea:

Hmm, I just don't know what you are trying to say, that's all.

Not relevant to what whole picture?

This test is acurate enough for us to draw reasonable conclusions as to the frequency response of MPC samplers.

I really dunno why you are even posting here, if you aren't interested, don't post. Thanks!

By Antonym Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:15 pm
everyone should just sample the mpc itself
run a line from the out to the in
record
hit pad
save sample to disk
load it onto pc, send it to nik
wouldn't that be easiest? it'd negate what interfaces people are recording into, what mixer, etc. best results, i'd think.

the if it helps

the 2500 and the 1000 use the exact same a/d and d/a converters, so their sound will be identical.